Newbie engine help

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
tcmoggy

Newbie engine help

Post by tcmoggy »

Hi,

I'm new to the world of Twin Cam Fiats as I have one in my Morris Minor, the only problem being is that the bottom end is shot.
I was wondering if a Fiat Coupe 16V motor would fit on my 131/2 box? Does the starter foul on the exhaust and would a Lada bellhousing cure my problem if I did go down the modern injected route.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I'm after 200 hp (ish) and fitting one of these motors would be an easier option for tuning as well.

Thanks in advance

Jeff
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Newbie engine help

Post by Guy Croft »

Not the crankcase assy, no way. You need a 131/132 setup down there and you could convert to a 16v head setup, details of this conv in my new book.

I have used reprofiled cams on atmo 16v and seen over 200bhp on 45DCOE. The cams have a big base circle (again discussed in my new book) and will accept typically L1 & BD3 profiles.

I mention the book (& will try not to be too overbearing about it) because it gives more info on so many things than I could ever write here.

G
Attachments
Putting together a 2L 16v conversion. Relatively straightforward but rebore and 16v forged pistons are categorically needed, you won't find any stock of Fiat/Lancia OE pistons.
Putting together a 2L 16v conversion. Relatively straightforward but rebore and 16v forged pistons are categorically needed, you won't find any stock of Fiat/Lancia OE pistons.
OSC 16v dry-build (6).jpg (114.05 KiB) Viewed 5531 times
tcmoggy

Post by tcmoggy »

Guy,
#
Thanks for that. How much work to get a 16V head on a 132 block (just a yes or no will suffice)

Will a Strada Abarth 2ltr twin cam fit a 132 box?

Thanks

Jeff
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I'm sorry but I don't understand what you mean by the question 'how much work?'..

As for the 130TC crankcase it's transverse so not directly suitable.

Could some other members au fait with this 'chime in' PLEASE?

G
tcmoggy

Post by tcmoggy »

Thanks again, I will not buy the abarth strada motor then. I'm trying to work out the various model inter changability of parts hence the simple questions, I'm also looking at a rwd engine that has been reworked and dyno'd at 145hp sp will go with that at the moment and consider options from there.
I'll keep you posted :-D

jeff
parrish

Post by parrish »

I have fitted a Strada Abarth engine to a 131 gearbox.
Im not too sure if the 132 gearbox is much different from the 131 box.
Here is the link to the thread: viewtopic.php?t=720
Steve
Parrish 366
tcmoggy

Post by tcmoggy »

Steve,

Thanks for the link, very helpful. I think I have a 131 box in the car and a 132 on the floor (the engine that came with the box has 132 cast on it) If the engine comes off cheap enough I'll still get it and then try it for size. Will be worth keeping it for spares (head and cams) and I'll rebuild the ones I have and make a good one out of the lot for a spare.

Jeff :-)
Wal

Post by Wal »

Jeff,
you can fit either the 131 or the 132 gearbox to a 131/132 block, it is a straight swap either way. I have had both a 131 and a 132 gearbox on my Morris and various different blocks of 131 and 132 variety.

The Abarth engine might have been worth it if you stick with the 8v route because the head would have had the bigger inlet valves (43.5mm as opposed to the standard 41.8mm on most 8v heads). Also you could have used the Abarth cams which are slightly better than the standard 131/132 cams and the head fits straight on the standard 131/132 blocks.

Regards,
Wal