Oil choice for road engine

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
vandor

Oil choice for road engine

Post by vandor »

Hello,

I am about to change from 'break-in' to 'regular' oil in an engine, and I was going to use 10w30 Mobil 1, because it is a high quality synthetic oil. My customer suggested we use single weigh Valvoline racing oil. I am afraid the racing oil does not have the right additives for street use, and I am not enthusiastic about the single weight.
Opinions?

Thanks,

Csaba
GC book #288
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Oil choice for road engine

Post by Guy Croft »

You're right to be circumspect about the Mobil. 30 upper temp viscosity would be a bad choice for an engine with the old gear pump, it is - in my opinion - just way too thin. I don't care overmuch what claims the mfrs make for it (..equivalent to this_or_that)

Unfortunately all the oil mfr incl Valvoline are going to 30 grade and I don't like it. if they ran the kind of older motors I build with very high rpm and bearing loads they might think differently.

The lowest I would use after break-in is 50 grade. I am sorry but it is almost impossible for me to recommend a supplier of race oil stateside. Over here we are spoiled for choice eg: Millers, Castrol Edge Sport 10W60, Selenia Racing 10W60, Millers CFS 10W60 and so on, but when I try and look up USA suppliers I can't find any for those - even at Summit Racing who are one of the biggest motorsport suppliers.

GC
engineerted

Post by engineerted »

Csaba,

for a Texas car, I would run with Valvoline 20w50 VR1,or 15w40 diesel oil both have very good zink levels. I have tried the Mobil 1 in my spider once and there is a noticable increase in the valve clatter and I too would not recomend it.

VBR

Ted
74FP SCCA 124 spider
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Stateside it's gone 10W/30 at least that is what it says on the tin. PDF data very confusing..

http://www.valvoline.com/products/consu ... tor-oil/6/

GC
robert kenney

Post by robert kenney »

I 2nd the Valvoline VR1. Straight 50wt in race/blown gas and methanol engines and 20w 50 in street apps. I have used it in all forms or performance engines including my sisters TC Fiat. VR1 has 1300 PPM phos, 1300 ppm zinc and a very comprehensive EP additive package. Again this is just from my experience.
Robert Kenney # 111
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Of course I know that oil too - used it for years at Warrior for dyno test.

BUT! I could not determine whether or not it is 10W/50 and who sells same Stateside!!

My concern is that the link above shows a tin of 10W/30 - if you follow my 'drift'..!

GC
robert kenney

Post by robert kenney »

http://www.valvoline.com/pdf/VR-1_Racing_Motor_Oil.pdf

I fear you were referencing this document in your earlier post. If so please delete this needless post and forgive my lack of comprehension.

See above product spec. sheet. Lists all available weights. If anyone needs a source in the UK, all of our local auto parts chains in the US sell it. I am assuming by "Stateside" you are inferring in the UK?

I apologize for posting the Link, and the fact that it is a PDF. I have no way to convert the file type.

Robert
Robert Kenney # 111
vandor

Post by vandor »

Hello,

Thanks for all the responses, I just called a local parts store and they said they do carry
the Valvoline VR-1. I am sure if they don't have 20w50, that they can order it.
Thanks,

Csaba
GC book #288
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

See above product spec. sheet. Lists all available weights. If anyone needs a source in the UK, all of our local auto parts chains in the US sell it. I am assuming by "Stateside" you are inferring in the UK?

ah - now I understand Robert - the pdf lists different weights available. I thought VR1 was only aval in one grade and assumed the data sheet had a typo in it.

'Stateside' - the USA in English person parlance.

GC
vandor

Post by vandor »

Hello,

OK, I changed the oil to the Valvoline VR-1 in 20w50 weight. Boy, you can see that the oil is
thick! Definitely not a synthetic oil :-)
For future reference, are there any synthetic oils that are recommended? I would think they
might free up a few hp, but obviously engine protection is more important than than max
power.
thanks,

Csaba
GC book #288
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

My preference is Selenia Racing 10W60

http://www.flitalia.it/en/fl/index.php? ... odPrd=1047

There are as many arguments for this_or_that oil as the day is long....

All I will say is that if this oil can work in a 9500rpm end-of-straight 200bhp 2liter 8V Fiat NHRA (short oval) engine built by me - it can work for you. And I won't say that about many oils.

How you get hold of it in the USA, clueless, sorry. In the UK it is bought from Fiat dealers in 2 liter tins under part number 10473701 currently retail £17.60 + vat a tin and worth every penny. Someone ought to think (Vicks?) about bulk importing it.

GC

EDITED due to typo that read £1760 per tin!
mdburchette

Post by mdburchette »

This is an interesting topic. I am currently using Valvoline 20w50 synthetic racing oil in my HP TC with no ill effects. Since it is a thick oil, does it hinder horsepower? Also, I have two 55 gallon barrel drums of it from our racing days. Is there a shelf life for synthetic oil?
GC_40
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Not in my experience Denise - and I would personally not run lower than 50 upper temp rating in any GC tuned/spec'd TC whatever the oil pump design and whatever claims made for the lubricant. Except during break-in phase, and in that case I would not put any engine under more than 75% load without changing to race-grade.

FWIW every engine dynoed by me in the years 90-96 was run on the same lubricant you have in your garage.

The shelf life may be considered indefinite in airtight containers.

GC