1608 Flywheel question

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
dlh98370

1608 Flywheel question

Post by dlh98370 »

All,
Can anyone please tell me the diameter (including ring gear)and number of teeth that is on a 1608CC flywheel? What I am contemplating is fitting a 1608cc engine to a Ford 2000E gearbox. The input splines are the same 1X23 so I was entertaining some hope that 1608 flywheels diameter was close to that of a 1.6L Xflow.Which does not address attaching the gearbox to the engine but you have to start someplace. The reason for not using a Fiat transmission has to do with not wanting to cut up the transmission tunnel of my 105E.
Thanks
dlh98370
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: 1608 Flywheel question

Post by Guy Croft »

The simple way to marry the two together is by fitting an adapter plate (which you will have to design) betw the 124 bellousing and the Ford box. I do not have an adapter for your 124 type bellousing and although it will fit the block cannot swap to the 131 because the FW is different (smaller) diameter all over and the starter will not engage, but I have done this many times with the 131 5sp bellhousing and the later Ford 5sp 'Type 9' so I know how er, straightforward it is if you take time to do it effectively.

By doing it my way you retain the 1608 starter in its original location on the old 124 bellhousing. This is important because if you junk the bellhousing and try ot marry the Ford box to the block via some kind of adapter it is fearsomely difficult to position the starter so that it engages on the ring gear in exactly the right orientation. I know this from doing exactly that on a Fiat Fire engine for a 750 Motor Club application.

The simple way to do the clutch is buy a Helix item (I am an agent for them) with cover to suit the 1608 FW and plate to carry the Ford 1" x 23 spline. The only other technical issue worth mentioning is that the 1608 crank must carry a bearing in the FW end suitable for the Ford input shaft (which, being a RWD box) must be supported and ensuring that the i/p shaft spline falls in the right place for the clutch plate.

You have to measure up and set this all out on cad or paper but that is the best and most cost effective way to do it.

GC
Attachments
Type 9 adapator_01.JPG
Type 9 adapator_01.JPG (15.5 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
Type 9 compared with 131.JPG
Type 9 compared with 131.JPG (20.38 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
FIRE engine adapter - trial plate at the 'prove-out' stage. Very involved to get the location right for proper engagement with the ring gear. Over or under engagement can lock the whole thing up & cause terrible damage to the starter and ring gear.
FIRE engine adapter - trial plate at the 'prove-out' stage. Very involved to get the location right for proper engagement with the ring gear. Over or under engagement can lock the whole thing up & cause terrible damage to the starter and ring gear.
1108 fw adapter _01.jpg (419.28 KiB) Viewed 3430 times
dlh98370

Re: 1608 Flywheel question

Post by dlh98370 »

Thanks very much for the information. It gives me a good place to start.
dlh98370