Driveability/reliability questions

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
franky

Driveability/reliability questions

Post by franky »

Hi all,

I'm looking at building a kit car for road/track use with the view to maybe doing some sprints or hill climbs.

I've found a unfinished dax and here's the details for the engine.

"The engine is from a Lancia Beta Coupe and is the Volumex Supercharged version of the 2L Fiat Twin Cam. It has an Avanti Motorsport Formula head, which is fully ported inlet and exhaust, shortened valve guides, sodium filled exhaust valves, 3 angle valve cut and unleaded valve seats. The engine also has a Guy Croft lightened and balanced fly wheel and crank shaft, which also has had the oil ways radiused by Guy Croft. The engine has obviously been been converted to rear wheel drive with a new crankshaft bush and Fiat 131 water pump. I've also fitted a Fiat 131 Mirafiori big wing sump and oil pump. It also has a remote oil filter fitted along with an oil cooler and braided oil pipes. I was planning to fuel inject the engine, so I have modified the original carburetor intake. If required, I also have the injectors, fuel rail and the Emerald M3D ECU, but I have not modified the inlet manifold yet, so carburettor could still be fitted.

The gearbox is from a Fiat 131 and is fitted with a Abarth remote shift, which has been modified to move the shift into the correct position in the car."

when asking a few more questions I've got some more info about it....

"The engine work was done in two phases, as I've sadly been working on the kit since '96!. The initial flywheel lightening, crank shaft oil way mods and balancing was done by Guy Croft in 96. I have the rest of the receipts for the rebuild gasket sets/work done and the Guy Croft Race head bolts as well as the Fiat 131 oil pump. The engine was stripped and rebuilt in 2000/2001, with the head work done by Avanti Motorsport in 2000, and I have the receipt for this. The engine has not run since the rebuild, but was built with carbon grease and light oil on all surfaces and still turns freely. I've filled the oil system and pressurised the oil system, so there is oil in all of the oil ways."

The first thing i'd like to do if I brought it is remove the head for one of Guy's to match the engine internals.

A few questions I have are:

How durable is the engine is this state of tune?
Anything else to check on the engine that should have been done to match the other work?
I'm guessing this should be good for 150bhp ish, is that about right?
Obviously the engine has stood a while, will this cause any problems?

I was going to build a car with a Hayabusa engine but I really fancy something from the norm and love the look of the twin cam engines. The engine will either be in a dax chassis or a fisher fury. Should have a wet weight of 600ish kgs.