Lancia Beta aux shaft

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
andrew

Lancia Beta aux shaft

Post by andrew »

I recently aquired a 2.0 i.e. HPE to use as a daily driver whilst I'm restoring/improving my Montecarlo and as it's immediate history was somewhat unknown I decided to change the cambelt. I gave the job to a local garage as I'm just too busy with work commitments at the moment to do anything else. Big mistake... I guess from the thread title you know what's coming... The mechanic failed to time the auxiliary shaft pulley correctly and the shaft broke after hitting what I think will have been conrod number 2. In his defence he said he followed some timing information he found on the net and set the aux cog as per those instructions which were plainly wrong! I shall endevour to find out where he got the information from.

I have a spare shaft which I have now modified as per instructions in GC's book and given it to the garage to fit so that's not a problem. What I'd like to know is would anything else be virtually guaranteed to have broken/cracked/bent as a result of the impact or will he have got away with it? Apparently it happened immediately on the starter motor revolutions (I know... I totally agree... did he not turn it slowly by hand first...?) and the shaft snapped inbetween the bearings (I haven't seen it). Will the conrod have suffered? Surely it could've cracked the block around the inner bearing? Should I insist he strips it and inspects it? The last thing I want is a problem a few thousand miles down the road as a direct result of this when by that time I have no come-back...

A classic case of 'if you want a job done properly...'

Andrew.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Lancia Beta aux shaft

Post by Guy Croft »

Model Post!

This is one oddity of the TC engines of 79.2mm stroke or more (1800/2L) and I am pleased you wrote this thread!
It's always one of things I remark on when a client's engine starts 'knocking'.

The best way thing is get another, mod it as outlined and offer it up to the bearings and see how it feels. Chance of damage to the rod and debris in the sump? Remote.

GC
Attachments
cut off the fuel lobe flush with the rear journal. That lobe hits no2 conrod right near the head of the rod bolt if the shaft is mistimed. That is why it is FATAL to swap the aux d/s pulley without checking the timing hole on it is the SAME. Best do this mod and run an electric pump (Facet Interrupter Silver Top is my usual recommentation).
cut off the fuel lobe flush with the rear journal. That lobe hits no2 conrod right near the head of the rod bolt if the shaft is mistimed. That is why it is FATAL to swap the aux d/s pulley without checking the timing hole on it is the SAME. Best do this mod and run an electric pump (Facet Interrupter Silver Top is my usual recommentation).
GC 001.jpg (108.63 KiB) Viewed 5499 times
drill down at 8.5mm dia to 24mm point depth - or to be more precise to where the point just reaches the outer edge of the oil feed..
drill down at 8.5mm dia to 24mm point depth - or to be more precise to where the point just reaches the outer edge of the oil feed..
GC 008.jpg (109.82 KiB) Viewed 5499 times
tap to full depth at 1/8 NPT or BSPT - plugs are aval for both. Use tapping oil or the tap may fracture, unusual for cast iron but TRUE!
tap to full depth at 1/8 NPT or BSPT - plugs are aval for both. Use tapping oil or the tap may fracture, unusual for cast iron but TRUE!
GC 011.jpg (110.18 KiB) Viewed 5499 times
blow out very thoroughly all oil galleries and wash in brake cleaner - then plug with Loctite 'Hydraulic Lock'. The taper plug doesn't need to be 'mega tight'..! I emphasise CLEANING because this shaft is on the main oil line.
blow out very thoroughly all oil galleries and wash in brake cleaner - then plug with Loctite 'Hydraulic Lock'. The taper plug doesn't need to be 'mega tight'..! I emphasise CLEANING because this shaft is on the main oil line.
GC 014.jpg (115.99 KiB) Viewed 5499 times
After fitting paint mark the plug. Next day you'll KNOW it's secure..
After fitting paint mark the plug. Next day you'll KNOW it's secure..
GC 015.jpg (110.56 KiB) Viewed 5499 times
The shaft must be free to turn and binding can often indicate bearing damage. Not easy to assess the rear bearing condition so 'feel' the fit as you insert the shaft.
The shaft must be free to turn and binding can often indicate bearing damage. Not easy to assess the rear bearing condition so 'feel' the fit as you insert the shaft.
GC 019.jpg (114.53 KiB) Viewed 5499 times
andrew

Post by andrew »

Thank you Guy, you have put my mind at ease- hopefully there will be no further damage. If you're confident, I'm confident! I'll report back when I have received the car back.

Andrew.
andrew

Post by andrew »

Just got the car back and all seems well- running as before with no noise/vibration etc so it would seem as though he got away with it! Thank goodness the shaft is the weakest part of that collision...! Anyone reading this is well advised to do GC's mod as shown above and in the book; at least then you know it can't happen, even when you farm the cam-belt change out to a 'professional' who probably hasn't seen a twincam for a few years and has forgotten/doesn't know of this peculiarity.

Andrew.
Walezy

Post by Walezy »

I would check the bearing on no.2 conrod. it might have been damaged when there was an impact.
Book#378
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Maybe a good precaution - but I would be very surprised.

GC