Mk1 uno turbo - outside the box

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
the mk1 kid

Mk1 uno turbo - outside the box

Post by the mk1 kid »

Hi,

I have a rather long and quite drawn-out project in the form of a mk1 uno turbo which i'm preparing for the track that i seem to have grown addicted to modifying (to the point i wonder if i shall ever drive it again!); I'd like to complete plenty of modification that you can't buy off-the-shelf as i really enjoy learning about the theory behind it all for one, and having something unique. Briefly, it has a Colombo and Bariani fast-road cam, head work (OE valves), larger turbo, tubular manifold with external wastegate, larger front mount intercooler and for the interim, when its next 'run' punto gt management with a re-programmed chip, so i'm getting there, and thats obviously just the 'juicy bits'.

If i may i'd like to ask a few quick questions:

Where forced induction engines are concerned, I once read the plenum chamber volume should be in the region of 80% - 100% of the engine's cc's - is this true? I'm going to cut mine in two and smooth the rough cast surfaces, so it makes sense to look at this at the same time i think.

Can the block be machined to take longer, and or, thicker bolts - is there scope for this? Although i don’t have plans to run 'silly' boost my friend in his 'shed' is a very skilled machinist, and it wouldn't cost as much as it might sound t get this done, and would i hope only add reliability.

Finally, did i 'boo boo' buying 15" x 8" ET 0 wheels - although they fit nicely in the custom arches I’m concerned there's now too much wheel? If it helps the OMP cage will soon be removed and in its place will be a fully welded-in multi-point item with front triangulation, and a rear that terminates on top of the rear turrets enabling me to fit coilovers back there to compliment the Avo's up front. I'm intending to fit a stiff 400lb/inch from and 600lb/inch spring rear combo and go from there, so i hope all that rubber wont flex the chassis to destruction. It is polybushed too..

Budget is a concern, hence the drawn-out build - not helped by living in a house that we're renovating! :(

Your thoughts please?

Regards

Tom
White mk1 uno t