Advice fo a new 131 owner please

Road-race engines and ancillaries - general discussion
dlh98370

Advice fo a new 131 owner please

Post by dlh98370 »

All,
I live in tthe USA and I have recently aquired a Fiat 131 two door (US spec 1756CC TC) that I found in a barn near my home. It has not been on the road since 1992. It runs though not well due to a number of different problems mostly related to the emissions control equipment. All of that is being deleted except for the charcoal canister.
The car came with a spare a pre emmisions 1608CC engine, reasonably complete. So I have the following questions:

1). I would like to use the exhaust manifold from the 1608CC engine as it is set up for dual down pipes and has no bungs for the EGR valve. The question is, will a 124 downpipe fit in a 131? This is an interim measure until I get a set of headers rounded up. 124 parts are relatively easy to find where i think I have the only 131 registered in Western Washingto State.
2). Is it worthwhile to fit the 1608CC cams to the 1756 engine? They have a longer duration but a shorter lift than the 1756CC cams.
3). What is involved with putting the 1608CC head on the 1756CC block. I have heard mentioned that some waterways need to be welded up. Has anyone some pictures of what need to be done. I'd like to use this head as it does not have the bungs for the EGR manifold.
4). The 1756CC engine come with a dual point distributor. I have been the the wiring diagrams for the car and find that the point of this arrangement was to help adjust the idle speed when the air conditioning was running or some emmisions tests were being done. The 1608CC engine has a single point distributor. Are there any issues with using this distributor or should I go straight to some mappable DIS system? Opinions please.

Here is a picture of the car
131ontrailer.jpg
131ontrailer.jpg (286.25 KiB) Viewed 4091 times
Hideous color but I like it!
Daniel
adrians

Re: Advice fo a new 131 owner please

Post by adrians »

Hi Daniel,

I can only assist to the exhaust manifold, - my 2litre Spider was run a 1608 manifold 4-2-1 when I got it, I later replaced it with the correct manifold and header pipe for an F.I. engine. So Yes it should fit.

Regards
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Post by Abarthnorway - Remi L »

Hi Daniel!

2)
The 1608 cams are supposedly longer duration - on paper - the reason is that the "old" type cams were measured at a lower clearance than the later cams. In fact the original 1756 cams will be better for Your engine.

3)
Never done this - why not get a used 124 1800 sport head - pre emission. I see them for sale on auction sales in the US all the time..... or worst case use the head You already have without the emission stuff :-)??

Best regards

Remi Lovhoiden
GC_45
tmvolumex

Post by tmvolumex »

I also have a 131 2 door and live in the US. I installed a 4-2-1 cast iron header off a later model Fiat 131 / Brava 2 liter and it works very well on my 1756. It does hang half an inch lower under the car due to the 1/2 inch higher deck height of the 2 liter the cast iron header was made for. As far as the dual point distributor goes. Just install a new lead to the distributor from the coil, forget the old leads it is not worth the effort to try to change the wiring it goes inside the car to a dual reay system. Just use one set of points. I also use a CD ignition and highly recommend installing one. Getting the tach to work with whatever CDF you use is the biggest problem. I have a 131 cast iron header and down pipe if you want to buy it. Its heavy to ship though. PM me if interested. Your car looks in great shape, what a find.
Tom
GC_31
dlh98370

Post by dlh98370 »

It looks better in the picture than it actually is. Typical Fiat rust on the fenders and rocker panels. The fuel tank has ben taken out, cleaned, painted and the sender/switch repaired.
The wiring from the firewall forward is a mess but repairable. I'm deleting all the A/C wiring, emissions nonsense though I will probable retain the evap system. The alternator and regulator has hit the trash in favor of a GM 105Amp alternator.
The wiring schematics seem to be pretty good and from an EE point of view not badly done and you can kind of see what they were getting at. You can source connectors and pins from AMP/Tyco. The battery box was rotted out so the inner fender needs repaired. The battery will move to the trunk also. I am adding an electric fuel pump in the back. I destroyed the steering wheel trying to get it off. other than that..... a two year project.
dlh98370