Removing aux shaft on Uno turbo block

Competition engines and 'live' projects only. Good photos to illustrate your post are expected.
Christoph Thuerey

Removing aux shaft on Uno turbo block

Post by Christoph Thuerey »

Hi
I want to use a dry sump and a programmable EFI, so I will have no further need of the aux driveshaft. The disadvantage is that the normal cam belt won't fit anymore and that I have to block the oilholes for auxshaft lubrication.
Is it worth to do that and has anybody done it before?

Thanks in advance!
Christoph
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Removing aux shaft on Uno turbo block

Post by Guy Croft »

Doing that will increase the belt 'wrap' around the crank drive pulley (a good thing) but I'd be concerned that the tension right/tension side of the belt might foul the tensioner ( .. a bad thing). I think I would perhaps rather retain the aux d/s and run the dry sump drive pulley off that.

Given that the aux d/s on the SOHC has belt wrap on only one side (rather than both as on the TC shown below) and still successfully drives the original oil pump (and the belts on those engines showed no tendency I know of to 'jump') would not have any reservations about doing it that way and it's certainly simpler than trying to array all the pulleys and crank trigger on the crank nose.

GC
Attachments
TC Fiat aux ds pulley mod for dry sump drive.jpg
TC Fiat aux ds pulley mod for dry sump drive.jpg (110.55 KiB) Viewed 3147 times
Christoph Thuerey

Re: Removing aux shaft on Uno turbo block

Post by Christoph Thuerey »

Thank you,
I will do it as you have proposed. Due to the fact that it simplify the complete belt system.

Christoph