Peugeot or Yugo/Fiat

Competition engines and ancillaries - general discussion
dragand

Peugeot or Yugo/Fiat

Post by dragand »

Dear Guy,

Last few years I have had plans with friend to build car that we would eventually drive on hill climb race. We were always missing a time to do it, but we hope that we will finally be able to allocate some more time in following months. Competition class that we want to enter is intended for enthusiast like ourselves and only limit for engine is 1600cc and no turbo or other charger.

#1 Initially we planned to use Peugeot 205. I was driving it for years, we have several engines in garage(1.,6 , 1.9 with 8 and 16 valve version), some experience in tuning it(but not too much) and I like car very much. We were thinking to use Peugeot mi16 cylinder head (almost identical to one that you described on site). Although, this cylinder head is originally used only on 1.9 engines, difference between 1.6 and 1.9 is stroke, bore is same. But in analyzing what we have to do we concluded that we would have lot of problems in achieving proper compression ratio, especially if we use (and we would like) wilder cams. Also cam timing after skimming head(method usually used among tuners here in Serbia for increasing CR) is something that we are not sure how to do. We were hoping that you or some of your members(I would say petert is very experienced with this engine) can have advise.

#2 Realizing all problems that we might have with previous configuration we have started to think about alternatives. Here in Serbia, there are lot of Fiat and Lancia engine units, due to close relation of domestic car manufacturer and Fiat. Also, popular and cheap domestic car is suitable and used on races in different categories. It can not match 205¢ž¢s handling but in size and weight it¢ž¢s very competitive( I would compare it with Fiat Uno). It has same engine mounting points as Fiat 128 making him compatible with lot of Fiat¢ž¢s engines, I believe. So Guy, I would be grateful if you tell me what engine(and cylinder head) would be best for this Yugo/Fiat configuration(as I wrote above, 1600cc and no charger) and what would be rough estimate of expected power figure with moderate budget(we are not targeting podium, but I would not like to have car that is just bit faster than my everyday car).

#3 Any other advice would be really precious.

Thanks in advance(sorry if mail is to long).

Best regards,
Dragan