Fuel system advice please

Competition engines and ancillaries - general discussion
cantfindausername

Fuel system advice please

Post by cantfindausername »

Hi everyone,

I'm trying to piece together a fuel system for my Toyota MR2 Turbo.

The car has a fully rebuilt and uprated engine. Almost every component is uprated, lightened and balanced.

I've had a few people estimate the car to be capable of running in excess of 500 rearwheel HP when its finished.

So as a matter of course I'm trying to construct a shopping list for the components I'll need for the fuel system.

My plan so far is to run 4, 96lb/hr (1000cc) injectors off a single Top Feed fuel rail, so not straying to far from the stock setup here.

Pump wise, the car in standard form runs an intank pump.

However, I'm a little lost as to what the best solution would be for supplying the fuel rail.

I'm looking at -10AN(JIC) supply lines, with -6AN(JIC) return line. Would these sizes be ok?

For the fuel pick up, I am thinking I have a few options. Twin pump, single pump, do I run a swirl pot... there are probaly loads of combinations of setup.

So what I'm really after is a few ideas that people have seen or used, or any advice of what to steer clear of etc.

Any help and advice is always appreciated!

Many thanks,
Ant
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

My very strong advice would be to get Phil Lanes (not far from me) to advise and set up.

e mail is:

maps@ggmotorsport.com

Don't 'pick his brains' and then go somewhere else for setting up or I'll be in trouble!
Phil just did a wizard job on Rich Ellinghams's Tipo after kindly consulting with me in great detail about the spec etc. and what should be expected.
This is good and it will be followed up by sending more my of units that need mapping and cal in the future.

GC
cantfindausername

Thanks Guy.

I've followed you advice before, so I'm sure your advice this time is just as sound!

I will get in contact with Phil in the near future about this.

Thanks,
Ant
Rich Ellingham

Post by Rich Ellingham »

Ant, please heed GC's advice and contact Phil, injectors that size will have a poor if not non-existant idle, and off boost torque will be very poor. I think you wil have to look at 8 injectors, but even on 4 injectors you wont require 1000cc injectors. Phil will advise without any nonsense.

regards
Rich
book 38
cantfindausername

Thanks,

I've emailed Phil, and am awaiting his response.

Looking forward to hearing an experts advice!

Ant