Lancia Integrale 16v sump windage tray

Competition engines and ancillaries - general discussion
jmcpower

Lancia Integrale 16v sump windage tray

Post by jmcpower »

Hi Guy and everybody ,

Last year when I first started racing my Lancia 16v delta Evo I noticed that I had oil surge problems during cornering hard, and braking hard on hill climb racing ! The G forces are really high on tarmac racing with a 4x4 car fitted with wide slicks!
To remedy this problem I have constructed a special baffle plate that proved to work quite effectively for 5 races keeping the oil pressure high (and steady -where it should be), with no oil surge any more !
I used 2.5 mm stainless steel sheet and I had to modify the oil pick up as well !
Here are some pictures of the job done !!
Attachments
IM001161.JPG
IM001161.JPG (73.7 KiB) Viewed 11958 times
Oil Sump baffle.JPG
Oil Sump baffle.JPG (165.41 KiB) Viewed 11959 times
IM001159.JPG
IM001159.JPG (31.04 KiB) Viewed 11960 times
IM001158.JPG
IM001158.JPG (46.06 KiB) Viewed 11960 times
brrrrm

Re: Lancia Integrale 16v sump windage tray

Post by brrrrm »

Hi there jmcpower .

I like your thinking on oil control in the Integrale. I am looking at doing something very similar. I will probably do louvres at each big-end as scrapers instead of the holes as you are using.
I'm interested to know how you secured it. 3 of my main caps have a small M6 tapped hole. It appears you have drilleds and tapped the cap using the existing holes as a pattern. Or have you done something much more clever. what would you change if you did it again. Any signs of cracking. Does it need to be 2.5mm . I was considering 1.6mm steel.

I take it the pick-up was altered to shorten the mounting leg due to the baffle. Was there any other reason. With the horizontal tray in place , do you still believe no vertical baffles are required.

many thanks,
Regards
Neil
jmcpower

Post by jmcpower »

Hi Neil ,

The only thing that i have changed since then is that i have opened up a few more holes 16mm in the middle of the tray along the engine to help the oil return back to the sump as soon as possible.Not that i had any problems with oil starvation but had a feeling that it was going to better with the addition of these extra oil return holes!
Yes you will need the vertical baffles that can be welded directly on the bottom sump tray ....unfortunately i have no pictures of the tray .

I have used some mild steel square block 20mmx20mm welded under the tray so i can have the correct clearance from the Crank rotating assembly and I have used 6mm alen bolts to tighten it to the main caps ...be careful not to drill too much into the main caps as this might reduce their strength ....maximum 10mm depth.
2.5mm is very solid and will stay in shape even under vibrations. No cracks !
yes you are correct about the pick up !
I have noticed that on the Mitsubishi 4G63 evo8 and subaru STi engines that the pick up is much smaller and has much smaller volume than the Lancia ...maybe 4 times smaller ,but i dont know if there is any reason for that and what would be the effect if using that type of pick up on the Lancia engine .
Here is a photo of the Subaru oil pick up.

Regards,

Mike.
Attachments
subaru GC8 model sti oil pick up.
subaru GC8 model sti oil pick up.
IMG_0493.jpg (109.82 KiB) Viewed 10564 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Mike, how nice to 'see' you again after such a long absence!

How about some words and pictures about your car in Reader's Cars?

G
jmcpower

Post by jmcpower »

Hi Guy ,
I know it has been a really long time since my last post but I was really busy with the New workshop garage I was preparing for the last 3 years and eventually I managed to move in last November and since then working really hard .
Regarding the racing car I would love to post some pictures , and I will have to prepair some words on the job done as well with spec , I will try to do that as soon as I can !
A few pictures of the new work shop that it has been designed for an efficient working space for car maintenance that will save the mechanics running around to get tools and lubricants ,etc.
Everything is contained on the working benches with reels.... 4 different kind of oil , radiator antifreeze , water, airgun ,air rachet , light , electricity extension, computer screens ,tel , nuts ,bolts and washers ( the most common in use ), special tools ,vise ,.......
At this point I would like to give Special Thanks to my Father Mr Aristotelis who has custom made the working benches , wall cabinets ,all metal constructions at the Garage , water plumbing ,air-oil plumbing.....basically if it wasnt for him there is no way I could have made my dream come true. He is retiring next February ( 65 years old) and JMC will definetely miss his workmanship!!

Best regards

Mike.
Attachments
GARAGE PICS 2010 002.jpg
GARAGE PICS 2010 002.jpg (104.35 KiB) Viewed 10485 times
GARAGE PICS 2010 019.jpg
GARAGE PICS 2010 019.jpg (80.29 KiB) Viewed 10485 times
GARAGE PICS 2010 017.jpg
GARAGE PICS 2010 017.jpg (85.53 KiB) Viewed 10485 times
DSC07611.jpg
DSC07611.jpg (90.51 KiB) Viewed 10485 times
DELIS PICTURES 2009-2010 168.jpg
DELIS PICTURES 2009-2010 168.jpg (66.79 KiB) Viewed 10485 times
GARAGE PICS 2010 011.jpg
GARAGE PICS 2010 011.jpg (108.6 KiB) Viewed 10485 times
GARAGE PICS 2010 012.jpg
GARAGE PICS 2010 012.jpg (142.13 KiB) Viewed 10485 times
GARAGE PICS 2010 013.jpg
GARAGE PICS 2010 013.jpg (153.53 KiB) Viewed 10485 times
computer screen spot
computer screen spot
GARAGE PICS 2010 015.jpg (65.41 KiB) Viewed 10485 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

What a fabulous place Mike!

Thanks for sharing the photos with us,

G
4v6

Post by 4v6 »

Inspiring place! How i wish i could have such a workshop, its very very impressive.
Tony Warren. GC #96.
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

I think you will have to service a lot of cars to be able to afford such a place. ;) Very nice indeed.
Book #348
jmcpower

Post by jmcpower »

Thanks everybody !
Yes indeed , I have to service a lot of cars every day to pay up the Morgage ! But there is a room in my Garage that will be always my favour one ....the engine building and modification room !

Guy ,
The spec list of my racing Car is ready but the pictures not yet only a few....so i will post the specs first and the rest of the pictures will follow soon if that is ok with you!

Regards ,
Mike.
Rich Ellingham

Post by Rich Ellingham »

phenomenal Mike!! absolutely phenomenal!! Wow, that is a workshop, in the style I dream of, top Class indeed!

Will we see any of the work JMC power getinvolved in beyond your own race car?

Regards

Rich
book 38
tricky

Post by tricky »

Hello all,
For the benifit of forum member brrrrm, some pictures below that show my own integrale baffles just recently completed. They are very easy to make and have been tested using water which, the vertical plates hold back well if you keep a tight tollerance between the sump's walls. The large doors swing freely, refill the chamber quickly and seal off quite well.

Richard
Twice as many valves
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Absolutely stunning workshop Mike - well done. You got any jobs goin'? ;)
Chris Burgess
GC 01