Vx capabilities

Competition engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Pete

Vx capabilities

Post by Pete »

Hello Everyone,

I'd like to ask a question that has been bugging me for some time. It is my intention to race a Lancia Beta Coupe Vx in club competition. Due to the fact that the engine is supercharged the car will have to be raced in a higher class. It will be up against engines with more than four cylinders, as well as rotary engined and turbo charged cars. My question is, driver skill notwithstanding, can the Vx hold it's own against this sort of competition?

Thanks

Pete
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

It depends if it's 'tuned' or standard spec Pete.

The standard Lancia Beta Volumex (2 liter) unit may not be very competitive in the higher class, sure, it's torquey (was originally rated 152 lbf ft at 3000 rpm and quite a 'flat' curve)so accelerates very well but lacks much power much over say, 5800 or so, mainly due to the tiny carburettor, low lift inlet cam and very restrictive exhaust system.

Tuned up GC style - can I say this here?! It will leave most other vehicles in that higher class far behind!

GC
Pete

Post by Pete »

Guy Croft wrote:Tuned up GC style - can I say this here?! It will leave most other vehicles in that higher class far behind!
GC
Thanks Guy that's just what I was hoping to hear because I didn't want to spend a whole lot of money and not be competitive in the respective class. I know the Coupe handles like it's on rails, and with an engine that can compete in the higher class, then the whole package must be a force to be reckoned with.

Something else I'd like to ask is, is this forum for engine tuning only or can one ask questions about chassis tuning as well?

Kind Regards

Pete
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Hi Pete,

well, we have had aerodynamics and seats and a few other things, although the forum is dedicated to engines I don't mind if it doesn't drift; there are certainly some real experts here who can help. Try it in 'readers' cars' and see what happens.

GC
Pete

Post by Pete »

Thanks Guy, I had thought about showing the build and preparation on the forum, so if I can also get some help and advice as well, that'd be a bonus.

thank you

Pete
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Sure,

Julian's (today) submission on brakes is typical. It's not really my field. I have asked Dave Bomba if we can integrate a new forum for 'competition car prep: non-engine', but post now in readers' cars, if you want, we can always can move it across later.

GC
Testament

Post by Testament »

Do you know much more about the other cars in the class and what level of preparation they have? for instance, does more than 4 cylinders mean something like a 3L V6 or more like a 5.7L V8?
Pete

Post by Pete »

There are two series I'm considering at the moment.

The first one is 2.9l to 3.6l 2 valves per cylinder, and the only restriction seems to be that forced induction engines must be fitted with the OE manifolds and induction unit. Cars in the class are 3.0l V6, 3.5l V8, Chevy Camaro's, BMW 325i and a Sunbeam Lotus.

The next series is for production based saloons, sports & GT cars. The restrictions in this series are that the exhaust can only be changed after the manifold within noise regs, and that it should be possible to return the car to road going spec. after competition. Cars in the class are Ferrari 355, Ginetta's, RX7, MR2 turbo, 911S, TVR Tasmin and Chimara.

thank you

Pete
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

OK, consider this.

Me, I get a lot of guys asking me for start-up advice.

My strong advice is find a different event/series, the odds are not in your favour there, not untypical, you'll be wasting your time trying to pussy-foot around poorly constituted regs designed by people who know little about race engines and they are all too common these days on circuit.

Regs like this mainly result from paranoia among promoters about how unpopularly-fast supercharged cars are. Circuit these days is far more about money for the circuit owners than the value-for-money for racers - or the spectators. What the viewing public want is rarely considered, except in top-level like NHRPA where the promoters really do value the public.

Well-sorted supercharged cars are breath-taking to watch and hear, and I don't understand why there is not a dedicated series for them.

Most dyed-in-the-wool racers (with the money to do it) race to win. I mean win, even if it's an easy win they can brag about in the club bar over an over-priced burger. If they're losing they shift to another series or cheat or crash you off. Or worse, ostracise you. If there is a 'storming quick car' on the grid they can't beat easily the promotors won't fill the grid and the series is history.

Frankly, give me tarmac or stage rally any day over circuit. You get: atmosphere, open regs, great scenery, the fun and experience that goes with working with a navigator, a real drive, safer driving, great people and unlimited preparation possibilities. You don't get: exaggerated entry costs, hollow glamour, second-rate trackside facilities, loneliness and cliquey 'prissiness' that invariably goes with circuit.

I'll be open about this. I'm not a fan of circuit. Most beginners never get a race and read Autosport every week hoping to see their name and never do. I know about these things.

Some things to think about there. Consider what I have said carefully.

GC
Pete

Post by Pete »

Fantastic, I can't tell you how much I appreciate such a forthright answer. I've been asking questions about racing for a while and all I've got up to now is wishy-washy answers. And as someone who has had absolutely nothing to do with racing or motor sport in the past it's difficult to know what's out there.

I did have suspicions about circuit racing as the regs seemed to suit the cars that the commitee members drove. I will take your advice and look elsewhere for a series to compete in with the Vx when it's ready.

Thanks Again,

Pete
Last edited by Pete on September 24th, 2006, 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pete

Post by Pete »

I've now been to the MSA website and have located two local motor clubs that organise all sorts of events in my area. They come across as much more friendly and dedicated to motor sport for the sheer fun of it than any of the so called championships that I've looked at. Not only that but I can compete in my daily driver in some events if I want to, all I've got to do is get the relevant licence.

It's also an awful lot cheaper and there are more events available with a lot more variety and opportunity. Plus the regs are per the MSA book without any addendum from committee members.

I have to hold my hands up and say that I was railroaded into thinking that the circuit championships were the way to get into motor sport. And I must say that I feel a lot happier now that I have the opportunity to prepare the car as per the MSA blue book rather than comply to someone else's restrictions.

I've also just downloaded the LMA Euro Saloons regs, so I'll read through them now. I must admit that I didn't think the Vx would be eligible because of it's age, but they seem to cater for any regular saloon car sold through normal outlets. I really shouldn't have overlooked that one, but I did.

Thanks again for the good advice Guy, I appreciate that.

Kind Regards

Pete
unoracer

LMA Euro Saloons

Post by unoracer »

Hi Pete, I currently race in the LMA Euro saloons, and can honestly say that you couldn't be among a more friendlier bunch of guys. You also would be in good company with a growing collection of italian race cars, including ferraris,pantera, Lancia kappa turbo, to tipo 16v, punto and an uno! If I can be of any help in the future ref racing with LMA, don't hesitate to shout up!
Pete

Post by Pete »

Thanks for the reply unoracer and I appreciate your offer of help. My plan of action is to start work on the car in the new year - 2007 - and hopefully have it ready for the summer when I can do some testing. The reason I'm looking at the new year is because we've just moved house and, apart from the Vx, the garage is full of boxes of stuff. Although I am thinking of taking the lot down the tip or having a car boot sale so I can get on with the car.

I have now read the regs for LMA and I am very impressed by them and the class structure which is much more racer friendly than the other series' I'd looked at. Although 15 minutes qualifying and a 20 minute race doesn't seem a lot for the effort and money invested, but I've never done it so what do I know. However, I am investigating and seriously considering tarmac rallying which seems to offer a lot more driving for the outlay.

Kind Regards

Pete
unoracer

Post by unoracer »

Hi Pete, No problem, let me know if you need anything. I have only competed in circuit racing, so cannot comment on the merits of hillclimbing, tarmac rallying etc (although I am on the doorstep of Harewood hillclimbing venue in North Yorkshire! You could actually compete in a one off race with LMA, as they offer that facility. At least then you can make an informed decision then, as to what you want to get involved with. Good luck with the VX build. Regards, Chris
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

It is worth thinking about just 'track days' rather than racing in a series.

Provided the scrutineer approves the vehicle, construction safety, noise, at the circuit, out you go. Many of the circuits depend on the income from trackdays and they are increasingly popular.

Hillclimb is fun to watch, but, my goodness the hills are small and it's all over so quiclky, I mean seconds rather than minutes, then a long wait.

GC