Fiat TC Dry sump, etc.

Competition engines and ancillaries - general discussion
castoramos

Fiat TC Dry sump, etc.

Post by castoramos »

Hello

I´m studying the possibility of build a dry sump sistem for a Fiat 1995cc tipe 132 engine for historic rallying. Anyone have information about that sistem fitted in this engine. It´s sufficient a two stage pump scavenge-pressure? What modifications are mandatory in the main and secondary lubrication galleries?

Another question about this engines : Where are the limits to use the stock crankshaft-conrods-pistons ? Are possibilities to use stock parts with a 300º camshafts?

Will01

Re: Fiat TC Dry sump, etc.

Post by Will01 »

Why are you looking into dry sump systems when using soo many components?
I did look into a dry sump system a few years back with a race team I used to work with for a ford cvh race engine. To be honest it was not required in the end as we did have many issues with the system. For the complexity on that particular car we decided to ditch the idea and that had been built up with new rods and crank. This was a good race engine but even it didn't justify the expense.
Another project I am working on at the moment is going for a simpler approach using a big wing wet sump. I know it won't help crank windage and lower drag in oil as well as being able to mount the engine lower etc. But the big wing baffled sump if designed well will help prevent surge a little and prevent aerated oil being picked up into the pump, therefore preventing oil starvation under heavy cornering/braking etc.
A proper dry sump setup would cost thousands to purchase and install compared to a few hundred for big wing sump and other accessories.
GC_21
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

agreed.

I do costings all the time. If someone asked me to dry sump an engine running the ancient stock rods & pistons (cast old or new) I would ask why?

Better to put that money into decent race parts like GC rods (not Chinese junk) and pistons,

G
Guy Croft, owner
castoramos

Post by castoramos »

Hi
Total agree with your comments, I´m just looking for information about that stuffs.

Talking about reallity I do use a near stock engine, my budget is very limited and I do not like engine issues at this moment.

In other words, when I will have some time I do include some photos of the conrods, cilinder head, and rest of parts I´m working for the "little" TC 1.438 engine for sporty road use in my Sport Coupé AC.

I´m open for comments, tricks and notices about the 1438cc engine...

Thank you very much for your time and knowledge. I´m pleasant for use this forum and also learn a lot in it.

Regards: C.R.
GC_69