X19 Hill climb

Competition engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Jon P

X19 Hill climb

Post by Jon P »

Hi,
I have been competing in hill climbs http://www.hillclimbandsprint.co.uk/for a number of years, mainly in classic cars, and fancied something faster and with the potential to develop further and so I bought an X19 that came with a stack of spares, including a 1.4 turbo engine. The idea is to run it in Modified Production class (the 1.4 turbo will get me into the under 2l class) starting next season. Obviously there is a stack of things to do (amazingly welding isn't one of them!), buy, modify, remove, attach, etc. What I am hoping is that on this forum there will be some people who would be kind enough to advise on the various issues, or suggest people/companies I should contact as result of their experience and not, as too often on forums, the desire to see themselves in print not matter how ill informed. I live near Kettering in Northamptonshire if that is of any interest. Thanks in advance Jon.
Rich Ellingham

Re: X19 Hill climb

Post by Rich Ellingham »

HI Jon, correct me if I'm wrong but isn't MSA turbo equiv. ratio 1.7 x cc for a 1400 will be 2.38l over 2l class. Could a N/A 2lt 1.6v conversion or 20v conversion be better?

I believe Northampton Motorsport is well regarded.

Rich
book 38
MattD

Post by MattD »

Hi Rich

I think he's OK.

From ACSMC (Assoc of Central & Southern Motor Clubs) 2012 Regulations
Sprint & Hillclimb (SPEED) class notes:-

Notes: 1. Cars using forced induction will be classified as having an engine capacity increase of 40%, those using diesel fuel a reduction of 30%
(e.g. a 2000cc turbo diesel will be considered to be the equivalent to a 1960cc normally aspirated petrol engine), and a rotary engine an increase of 50%.

Fiat Uno MK1 - 1301cc x 1.4 = 1822cc equiv
Fiat Uno Mk2 - 1372cc x 1.4 = 1921cc equiv
Maximum forced induction under 2 ltr capacity = 1428cc

My own car = Thema TC - 1995 x 1.4 = 2793cc equiv - firmly in the over 2ltr class (& so it should be !)

Rgds
Matt
GC_19
Rich Ellingham

Post by Rich Ellingham »

Ok thanks matt, 1.4 was what I thought it used to be (was for circuit racing when I did it) but my latest check was for the scottish sprint and hill climb, where I found higher numbers. None the less need to check for sure then decide what to do.
book 38
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

sorry I did not pick this up sooner Jon

whatever engine parts you have around you getting essential spares for that model of turbo engine is impossibly difficult it is a model we no longer support them with/by any means. For example bearings and gaskets esp head.

Convert the X19 to a TC is my strong advice, with that I can help.

GC
Guy Croft, owner
Slim

Post by Slim »

Hi Jon,

Did you ever race this car in hillclimb?

Liam
GC_36