High temperature ceramic coatings

Competition engines and ancillaries - general discussion
cantfindausername

High temperature ceramic coatings

Post by cantfindausername »

Does anyone have any advice or recommendations on ceramic coating parts, and specifically turbos?

Thanks,
Ant
Evodelta

Post by Evodelta »

Ant,

See my recent post in 'Performance Links' for the genuine article from Zircotec, one being trial fitted here with experimental insulating gasket from Ferriday Engineering (also recommended):

Turbo and exhaust elbow not coated as they are able to be wrapped and probably being changed in the future.

Ceramic paint (not as effective but a little cheaper and can be 'diy') is available from various outlets, made by:

http://www.camcoat.u-net.com

I believe these are the only two options in the UK at this time.

Martin.
cantfindausername

Thanks Martin. I like the look of that!

Will give those links a look, and check out the other post too.

Out of interest, what sort of price were you charged to have the manifold coated? Just so I can have a ball park figure to work with.

Ant
Evodelta

Post by Evodelta »

Reckon on about ‚£188 including Vat and postage Ant for that size of manifold.
Martin.
cantfindausername

:) really? Thats not bad!! I was expecting quite a lot more. Think I'll send mine to get done as soon as I get it.

Thanks,
Ant
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Since the topic is new, would someone care to enlighten readers on what this coating is all about please? Not a web link pleeese, a resumay.

I'm easy on the subject so don't worry, though that said I don't take power claims seriously without certifiable back-to-back dyno.

GC
cantfindausername

This is a little bit of text I picked up off the website in the link section..

[quote=Zircotec"]If exhaust gases exiting the combustion chamber are allowed to cool too fast they lose velocity, the ''scavenging effect'' is reduced and power lost.[/quote]

This is of particular importance to turbo'd applications as the heat & speed of the gases has a direct reflection on the performance of the unit itself.

Thats my understanding of its benefit anyway.

I would very much like to get a manifold on my car, dyno it and then do it again with the coating to see what performance increases have been made, if any. I do believe they would be seen easier on a high end turbo application.
Evodelta

Post by Evodelta »

Sorry for the quicky, but heat = energy so keep it in and use it! I think it's only marginal (SS isn't a good conductor either) and isn't my main reason for using it and no, I haven't heard of anyone who has tried a before and after test as yet, but every little helps, of course it is the sum of all the little mods which make the difference.

The other advantage of heat retention is of course to keep the engine bay cooler and to stop anything close to the mani' from melting, a problem with modified 'grales and plastic rad' fans. I've got a lovely pic somewhere of an integrale on the rollers with the manifold glowing cherry red......

Martin.
Piero

Post by Piero »

My understanding was to keep the under bonnet heat down.

I have spoken to a firm doing this coating, they claim to use two coats on the inside of the manifold and one coat on the outside.
If memory serves, theirs was ceramic coating.
cantfindausername

Piero, what company was this?
Piero

Post by Piero »

If it is ok to post names and numbers on this site, I will do this as soon as I go to my workshop, as that is were the number is. If not allowed to post this info, I will PM it to you.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Read:

http://guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?t=429

GC

Don't discuss prices here. If the firm you are referring to fits the posting/vendors criteria, fine. Otherwise not.
Evodelta

Post by Evodelta »

Speak to the company involved carefully about coatings on the inside of a turbo manifold, as far as I am aware they can't get around the bends with the coating and it is to be avoided as it can peel off and go through the turbo.
As I said, speak to the persons doing the work to confirm or otherwise.
so cal mark

Post by so cal mark »

the ceramic coating I use on my headers is good to 1100F, above that it can flake and peel off. I would imagine the temp at the turbo would be higher than that.
cantfindausername

Mark I would tend to agree with you there. Especially as I've got coatings on the piston crowns, chamers and exhaust ports. All aimed at keeping the heat out of the materials, and in the gases.