1.6 i.e. turbo to 1.8???

Competition engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Infectus-Guy

1.6 i.e. turbo to 1.8???

Post by Infectus-Guy »

Hi chaps,
I'm assembling a 1.6 i.e. turbo engine for my hillclimb hf turbo and the class I'm in has a capacity restriction of maximum 1.8 turbo.
I was wondering if anyone knows what methods (stroke/bore) there are to take my standard block out to 1.8 or even if it's possible or even worth it? I'm guessing there isn't enough meat in the block to simply bore it out and even then I'd have to go down the route of custom pistons which is not something i'm ready for yet.
Even stroking might be impossible as the I think the integrale crank (which would stroke me to 2.0 anyway) has larger mains journals. I'm guessing (unless anyone can correct me) that there is no such thing as a crank that is stroked for 1.8 at 84mm bore?
This is maybe not something I will do "this time" but i like to do my homework WELL in advance and (answers depending!) may look into it in the future. We'll see how i do in my first year of hillclimbing eh?

Thanks for any ideas,
Guy
GC book #182
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: 1.6 i.e. turbo to 1.8???

Post by Guy Croft »

You might as well forget an easy or low cost solution on that one. The biggest rebore with aval gasket would only yield 1661cc. Possible to get to 1800 with a budget that allows for a new billet crank. Unless you can find a Tipo 1800 crank and get it to fit without knocking the crankcase to bits. But even then it would not accept the 1600 rods they have different crankpin diameter and the longer stroke would not suit the rod length, piston crown height etc. That's even before you examine the impact on the CR of the bigger swept volume.

G
Infectus-Guy

Post by Infectus-Guy »

I thought it might be a custom crank job, which would be one inappropriate of a leap of faith and an expensive experiment for sure!
Thanks,
Guy
GC book #182
Honza
Location: Lomnice nad Popelkou (60 north from Prague), Czech Republic

Post by Honza »

There is one man, who did conversion of 2nd. gen. delta 1.8 8V to turbo in standart 1.8 8V block (due to some legal problem with engine code/number)

He used only 2l 8v turbo ECU and wiring loom,turbo pistons and everything neccesary probably from dead 2L dedra turbo.

next step of this conversion was swap to 16V with 16v piston... I would check the block height wheter the 1.6 is same as 1.8l... then I will perform next steps...