Integrale Turbo Drain

Competition engines and ancillaries - general discussion
DeltaDave

Integrale Turbo Drain

Post by DeltaDave »

Guy, as part of the design of my exhaust header I need a little help with possible relocation of the turbo oil drain. Is it possible to use the port at point 1 for the turbo oil drain rather than its original position of point 2 in the image below?
drain.jpg
drain.jpg (59.25 KiB) Viewed 6580 times
Point 1 is now made redundant as my breather catch tank will no longer return vapour/oil back to sump, it will be emptied manually via a drain off line once the tank needs emptying. The reason for asking is that using the correct size bends for a free flowing header needs a lot of space, therefore there is a need to lower the position of the turbocharger. It also would benefit me as it would be returning oil lower than the windage tray that will be fitted. Would I also have to use a one way valve because of sump oil level? Would a one way valve restrict the return? Or do you have a better idea altogether?

Many thanks
Dave

PS Sorry I had to borrow your pic
Nobby

Re: Integrale Turbo Drain

Post by Nobby »

It may not be exactly what your looking to do, but Begbie (Alexis) - whose engine I believe is in the picture - re-routed his oil drain further across (and possibly lower) into the sump using speedflow off the shelf parts.

He is a member on here and also a longstanding member of the FCCUK forum. There is a post on their which mentions what he bought. I'll post a link if Guy allows.

Chris
Chris Burgess
GC 01
tricky

Post by tricky »

Sorry this is the best sump photo I've got on computer. You have another option, at this circled point shown in red. This comes out around the same level as the oil's surface (if standing still) One or two people do use this location without problems.

There was a discussion about this very subject on evocorner not only two weeks ago, have a search for it.

Will you be updating us with progress on the exhaust manifold as it develops ? I hope so, faced with the same daunting task myself in the very near future it would be good to see how you get on, I have some good ideas too.
Twice as many valves
DeltaDave

Post by DeltaDave »

Thanks Tricky, yes I will be updating my header/manifold post.
tricky wrote:Will you be updating us with progress on the exhaust manifold as it develops ? I hope so, faced with the same daunting task myself in the very near future it would be good to see how you get on, I have some good ideas too.
DeltaDave

Post by DeltaDave »

Any thoughts Guy?
DeltaDave

Post by DeltaDave »

Guy

Could you please look at this?

thank you Dave
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Sorry for not picking this up at a much earlier time Dave.

The oil is forced down the outlet from the turbo by oil pressure so it doesn't have a problem getting back to the crankcase at any time wherever it is connected to.

However if it discharges above the windage tray it just encourages aeration - it will get caught & whipped around by the crank.

G
DeltaDave

Post by DeltaDave »

Hi Guy thankyou for your reply,

So would I be correct in saying that I can use the original breather return hole in the sump at point 1 in the original picture? Which is under the windage tray level without a 1 way valve, even though it is beneath the engine oil level?

Many thanks
Dave
Guy Croft wrote:Sorry for not picking this up at a much earlier time Dave.

The oil is forced down the outlet from the turbo by oil pressure so it doesn't have a problem getting back to the crankcase at any time wherever it is connected to.

However if it discharges above the windage tray it just encourages aeration - it will get caught & whipped around by the crank.

G
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I think that should be OK, yes,

G