RADICAL NEW FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM NEEDED

Competition engines and ancillaries - general discussion
WhizzMan

Re: RADICAL NEW FUEL INJECTION SYSTEM NEEDED

Post by WhizzMan »

A lot of very technical stuff has already been explained here. I'll try and keep it as non technical as possible to explain why this is so hard.

You can get all the computers, sensors and all that bolted on. Simple or complex, various mathematical approaches, but there's a very important factor missing, the human one. No matter what, there's a tuner that wants to try different acceleration enrichment settings, use slightly richer settings than optimal because it will cool the exhaust valves a bit more so they won't melt at the end of the straight, many possible reasons why you'd want to stay off the mathematical optimal setting. The other human, the driver, is a big factor as well. Look at formula 1, there will be a mathematical optimal setting for every tuning parameter in those cars, but still the cars setups differ quite a lot between the 2 drivers in the team.

Granted, tuning ECUs can and will be a lot easier with some of the parameters adjusting themselves, but the final touch always requires the hand of the master. I know that the KMS system will use a wideband lambda with target mixtures to set a decent base map for you, but you still have to use a rolling road to adjust the ignition timing and acceleration enrichment. When the weight of the car changes, so will the speed at which the engine will pick up revs, so the enrichment changes again. I know that the Saab trionic has the best knock detection system (ionization of the mixture in the cylinder) available, but how much know do you find acceptable? With all of the technology we have now, we can probably build an ECU that will do better than 90% of the so called "chip tuners". That is something that most of the hobby racers will be happy to use, if it's affordable. It will most likely be better than a decent carbs setup which has had a decent setup by an expert on a rolling road. But I think, it won't give you a winning car when being raced against the exact same hardware, set up by a true master.
Book #348