Abarth 130 TC engine hesitation in right hand curves.

Competition engines and ancillaries - general discussion
robert kenney

Re: Abarth 130 TC engine hesitation in right hand curves.

Post by robert kenney »

I didn't see any referance to an electric fuel pump, Any chance you are running an electric fuel pump through an oil pressure switch to prevent pumping fuel after a crash/ roll over etc? Some sanctioning bodies require it for fire reasons.

Loss of oil pressure can kill your fuel pump, starving the carbys of fuel. Just a thought.
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Post by Abarthnorway - Remi L »

Hi Robert!

Good thinking!

Originally on Abarths the fuel supply is cut once the oil pressure is too low.

I will have to think this through and check out a few details, before I comment.

Thank You!

Remi Lovhoiden
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Good point Rob!

G
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Hi Robert!

Thank You!

Seems like Your theory regarding the fuel pump cut during low oil pressure situation is correct. The following hesitation then comes from a low fuel level in the carbs.

I have been checking a bit with fellow Abarth owners regarding this, and most tell the same story..... one uncertainty though, almost none seem to have noticed the oil pressure light go on! But considering the conditions it occurs at maybe not so strange - Your eyes better be firmly focused on the road ahead!!

The reason I never experienced it in my latest Abarth is probably due to new wiring for the fuel pump - not being wired through the oil pressure switch....
Wonder what my GC modified crank looks like now? hmmmm....

Working from this theory now - just another thing to modify/fix!

Best regards

Remi Lovhoiden
robert kenney

Post by robert kenney »

Abarthnorway - Remi L wrote:..... one uncertainty though, almost none seem to have noticed the oil pressure light go on!
Hope you have found the cause for your gremlin. I'm happy to help if at all possible.

Yes kind of odd but...... Are both the fuel pump and oil pressure warning light driven through a relay that is energized by a single pressure switch or are the pump and light driven by separate switches?

If the later is the case, one switch may be preset to switch at a higher pressure. EG the pump pressure switch will switch earlier and at a higher pressure than the light not giving you a warning.

On another note is it possible that the fuel sloshing in the tank is allowing air into the pick-up tube?

I would add a fuel pressure warning light temporarily until the cure is found for sure.
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Hi Robert!

The light and the pump is driven by the same switch.

Fuel sloshing in the tank can also be a problem on the car when almost empty - I know what that feels like - but thats not the issue here.

A fuel pressure light/gauge would be a good idea.

Thanks Robert

Best regards

Remi Lovhoiden