Tipo 16v at Lydden Track day

Competition engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Rich Ellingham

Tipo 16v at Lydden Track day

Post by Rich Ellingham »

Lydden hill is in the South East of the UK and is the shortest circuit in the UK. It was built in the valley between 2 small hills to aid spectating of many of the Rally Cross events events held there. It is also home to many other series on a regular basis including the DMN Saloon car championship. I did not expect to get the Tipo back out due a career change, but I was unaware that I had a significant break in which to earn some money and fund a nostalgic trackday. The difference now is I've been going karting every fortnight (2 weeks) for 8 months.

The Tipo came out of storage and was checked over for readiness. It had been started every 2 weeks while in storage and starting was no issue. A slow power steering fluid leak had emptied the PAS system so that was rectified and refilled. I had enough Oil in storage for a change (Selenia racing). I had planned to fit 7x15inch wheels to replace the 6j wheels fitted, I bought 2 sets, one was not the correct fitting and the other never arrived, so I had to stick with the Tipo 6j rims. New DS3000 pads and Brembo discs were fitted.

At the track the first session was merely a shake down, having not really driven a car let alone a race car in year I needed to get myself ready and make sure the car was fine. It was, and I found it much easier then I did before. Lydden might be short but it is very challenging with changing cambers, downhill braking it certainly offered no relaxation time. The second session I used the service of well known Mini racer and instructor Bill Richards to guide me round the track. This was it, the car took a hammering, the video does little to indicate how the wheels were fighting for traction or pushing wide. Mr Croft quite rightly says I need to power it out of the corners, but rest assured I wasn't hanging round, but when its sliding and to add more power needs a bit of practice (Tyres started at 24psi ended at 36psi). The next session was the turn of my good Friend Trevor Nicosia who was a fellow competitor of mine and the keeper of the car while I am away from the sport, he also went out with BIll, as his first drive in the car ever. The next session was a solo effort with the advanced group this lead to a great race with a Cooper S Works championship car, though I was catching the Mini its driver (Pete) could take a selection of lines as the mini's grip was clearly well above that of my home made Fiat - Testament to buying a championship car rather then building your own.

My last session of the day was cut short as the front discs warped making braking a gamble. All in all an excellent day, really showed where the car could be developed if I was to do so - deal with the understeer, loose some weight, fit brakes that can take the heat better. I highly recommend Lydden Hill for a trackday it ran like clockwork and proved to be one of the most challenging circuits I've driven.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2po-phAyG9Y
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JZ7ANVyXo8

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VNPMADWGqr0

Trevor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8d3nAiZXJLI

Rich
Last edited by Rich Ellingham on July 13th, 2010, 8:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
book 38
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Tipo 16v at Lydden Track day

Post by Guy Croft »

MODEL POST!

Very instructive indeed, thanks for posting.

GC
James Bowen

Post by James Bowen »

Rich,

thank you for that. I have some idea what apex's to aim for next time I do a sprint meeting there.

James
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Here's a reminder of Richard in action, from the emails I've had over the years I can say he inspired a lot of folk. His car is featured in my new book.

GC
Attachments
RE_racecar (1478 x 832).jpg
RE_racecar (1478 x 832).jpg (67.92 KiB) Viewed 9438 times
andy97

Post by andy97 »

Rich, good to hear that the Tipo is still alive on well. Can I tempt you, yet, to have the odd race with the CSCC in Tin Tops? It far less expensive than Eurosaloons in my opinion & the 40 minute 2 driver races really mean that you can share costs with a mate - You and Trevor could share the car in one race.
nyssa7

Post by nyssa7 »

My first race in two years - Rich allowed me to take the Tipo out at Anglesey. Full report on my web site, but highlights are outqualifying my two main rivals by just 6/100ths second. Both got by within first half lap as my race craft is most definately rusty, but caught the 230bhp Daihatsu Charade on 3rd lap and was now 3 seconds down on the 190bhp MG ZR. Caught and passed him within 3 laps, he wasn't going to roll over on this so we went through the corkscrew side by side less than 100mm apart before I finally managed to get in front properly

All was going well until 3 laps from the end when the gearbox cried enough - oops! Teapot goes very well, loves a diet of revs and Guy's engine didn't object too much to a couple of missed gears. Pulled massively well at top end, must be doing 125-130mph at the braking point for Rocket

Video at www.nyssaracing.com/video/Anglesey_20100925_Race.wmv - with X rated language warning when the gearbox starts banging!
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Great to hear from you Trevor and well done for getting out in Rich's car and 'doing the business' (esp on the opposition).

Can't wait to have time to download the video.

G
nyssa7

Post by nyssa7 »

It was good, Rich's car a bit quicker than I expected. Now I've just got to get out in my own car some time :-)
Rich Ellingham

Post by Rich Ellingham »

Good effrot Trev, such a shame the gearbox didn't hold up would have been a clear win over Simons MG for once. With a proper set of headers matched for the engine the top end would probably be even better.
book 38