How do you set up a T3 actuator rod/wastegate?

Competition engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Infectus-Guy

How do you set up a T3 actuator rod/wastegate?

Post by Infectus-Guy »

I wondered if anyone can help me set up the actuator rod length on my T3 turbo. I've got a T3 from a Delta Evo 1 fitted to my Delta HF Turbo track car, although rather laggy its good if you can keep it on song. The problem is i've always had erratic boost levels from one day to another, i'm using a "dawes device" to control the boost. One day it'll hit max 14psi then the next day it'll randomly boost up to 18+psi (not that i let it stay there!). Guessing my old actuator was getting a bit tired, i bought a Collins engineering one which is sold as for a Cosworth (an internet auction site bargain!). With a bit of fettling i've fitted the correct length adjustable rod and will be fitting it soon. This is where i need a little advice.
I've been told i'll need to set my compressor at the desired boost level and connect it to the actuator, probably go for about 1 bar/15psi as the max my map sensor will keep up with is 1.1bar. But then what do i do next?
Also, what difference does the strength of the actuator spring make? Maybe as the actuator is design for a Cosworth I might need a softer spring?
Thanks for any ideas,
Guy
Last edited by Infectus-Guy on March 19th, 2010, 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
GC book #182
SteveNZ

Re: How to set up a T3 actuator rod/wastegate...

Post by SteveNZ »

Its all a bit more simple than I think you realise

Have you fitted the actuator correctly? If so the only thing left to do it set the boost level. This can be done with your boost controller or by changing the spring in the diaphram. You will have to see what boost you can achieve with the spring you have first and then try another spring if you wish. Make sure the boost controller is removed to test what boost level the spring gives alone.

By the way, don't assume the engine will be tuned correctly just because the map sensor can measure up to 1.1 bar. It needs to be tuned or at least checked.