Beta VX engine tuning!

Competition engines and ancillaries - general discussion
X1/9

Beta VX engine tuning!

Post by X1/9 »

My X1/9 Dallara replica project has now come to engine fitting and i am done making space for the VX engine and gearbox,i am fitting the last custom engine mounts this week.
That means that i am very close to start stripping down the engine and rebuilding it with some power increase, i am fitting it with custom electronic fuel injection and ignition control with a coil for each cylinder thats mostly decided.

All GC preparations of the cylinder block and head will be done to have a strong base, the lubrication will be kept in shape wit a dry-sump system.
I am thinking of raising the boost pressure 1-2 psi, what i need some help deciding is what compression ratio i should go for i am thinking of increasing it to 8:1 but i need some input from some with experience on VX tuning.

Is it possible to get performance pistons that are around 8:1 CR and maybe 85 mm bore, is there any possibility to get hold of the new type three layer thin head gaskets that you can get to a lot of engines now for the TC engines or is it only the standard and reinforced old type that is still available.

Putting fuel injectors at the inlet manifold should make a much happier engine than the originally carb system fitted, does the VX supercharger need fuel running trough it for lubrication if it does i'll probably just use a set of injectors before the VX also.

BH
Bjorn
Fingers

Re: Beta VX engine tuning!

Post by Fingers »

I believe the oil resevoir on the side of the supercharger is all the lubrication it requires, just make sure it's never less than half full. I had good results with Guy's IIIA cam on the inlet side only and a 45 DCOE on his manifold, I also had a supercharger pulley with one less tooth increasing the speed slightly, all these mods really transformed my VX coupe. I'm sorry I sold it now after owning it for almost 15 years, but I did move on to an integrale so all is not lost. The VX engine in an X1/9 would be fantastic!!
Book # 34
X1/9

Re: Beta VX engine tuning!

Post by X1/9 »

Thanks for the information I really appreciate I have had a lot of advice that I write down and save until the rebuild of the engine, I had hoped for some more action here but it's been kind of slow.

I have fitted the engine now and it fits perfectly hopefully I'll be done next year sometime, but that's probably a bit optimistic.

I find new stuff that I want to change all the time when building, I really love the VX engine it's probably going to be fun in the lightweight X1/9!

Please use proper capitalisation on things like I (not i). If I can take the trouble to read and edit this you can too.

Edited by GC
Bjorn