Engine type used in Abarth punto S2000 cars ?

Competition engines and ancillaries - general discussion
alan131

Engine type used in Abarth punto S2000 cars ?

Post by alan131 »

I have a Fiat 131 sport that I use for tarmac rallying, it is fitted with a 131 block / Lancia 16v head on throttle bodies, the engine needs to come out for a overhall but I am also interested in finding out which production Fiat engine is being used for the S2000 Punto cars with a view to modifying one.
Does anyone know any of the following:-
1. The engine type and which uk model it is fitted to.
2. Is it a smaller engine (1800cc) with a special crank to take it close to 2000cc.
3. Does anyone know of any other website that may have this info.
The main problem with the old engine is finding a block that is not worn with standard bores to stay under the 2000cc class limit.
Any suggestions appreciated.
thank you Al
Attachments
131 B&W2.jpg
131 B&W2.jpg (8.01 KiB) Viewed 5195 times
Julian

Re: Engine type used in Abarth punto S2000 cars ?

Post by Julian »

My apologies in advance for not having the exact details, I don't have them to hand.

My understanding is that the engine is based on the Alfa-Romeo twin-spark engine that was developed for super 2000 touring car use. The rally version of the engine is slightly detuned by comparison - through the use of a mandatory restrictor on the induction system.

In terms of making a comparison with a standard engine it is hard to provide anything particularly meaningful - the engines can be purchased at source for something in the region of £50000 and require regular rebuilds at the factory costing about £20000. The same engine has been used in this format for about ten years. In essence it is the respected Fiat twin-cam with an Alfa-Romeo head instead of the standard Fiat casting. The road version uses twin balancer shafts but these are deleted for the competition version of the engine.

I know that is very sparse detail but it is as much as I can remember
Rich Ellingham

Re: Engine type used in Abarth punto S2000 cars ?

Post by Rich Ellingham »

They are built by N-technology do a google search and you find their italia home page

Rich
book 38