Race Engine

Competition engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Race Engine

Post by Guy Croft »

Gary has kindly worked with me to get this thread into order.

If anyone drifts 'off topic' or posts without direct personal experience or drifts into engine mountings without clear photographs of what they are referring to and its relevance to the topic under discussion, memberships are going to be terminated.

GC
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I'm no authority on the later generation Fiat units, but - if the Punto HGT 1600 unit will fit - it might be worth a look. This is not a head prepped by me, it was bought from one of the better Italian tuning firms, very high flow and certainly - with the right fuel system, cams and CR easily able to develop 170bhp plus - and thus the kind of thing I suggest you need to be looking at for target bhp of 200. I think you can pretty-well forget 8v. As it happens the huge ports (see my caption) were not )or so I understand) opened up much over standard.

I don't know what the block looks like. Nor do I know if any particular 16v head fits any othe 8v block family. Frankly I doubt it.

GC
Attachments
Punto HGT 1.6 race head face view.jpg
Punto HGT 1.6 race head face view.jpg (108.9 KiB) Viewed 13123 times
non GC Punto 1.6 HGT head on bpf test.jpg
non GC Punto 1.6 HGT head on bpf test.jpg (445.38 KiB) Viewed 13126 times
'Supersports' (I think) Italian prepped 1600 Punto HGT head, variable valve timing ditched, replaced with cams shown. These are about 12mm lift from memory.
'Supersports' (I think) Italian prepped 1600 Punto HGT head, variable valve timing ditched, replaced with cams shown. These are about 12mm lift from memory.
GC 061.jpg (111.44 KiB) Viewed 13112 times
Buckets, caps, springs, seat machining, valves and cams all from the same tuner, no shims used, everything cnc machined to fit 'as-is'. So if you buy a head like that, don't expect to be able to play 'mix and match' with other parts - they just will not fit/work.
Buckets, caps, springs, seat machining, valves and cams all from the same tuner, no shims used, everything cnc machined to fit 'as-is'. So if you buy a head like that, don't expect to be able to play 'mix and match' with other parts - they just will not fit/work.
GC 076.jpg (110.91 KiB) Viewed 13100 times
Acki

Post by Acki »

The Punto mk2 HGT engine is a 1800cc 16V engine with 133hp.
Punto mk1 1.6 8V you only get in the Punto Sporting and Punto Cabrio with 90hp.
You can install the 2l 16VT Coupe engine in a Punto:
A 20VT 5 cyl. engine shall fit but you have to modify the sheet in the engine bay...
But both engines weights more than a standard SOHC like the 1372cc.
Last edited by Acki on April 24th, 2008, 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
bugar

Post by bugar »

?I Knew for 1.6 HGT but from 1,8 whit other crank for class limit 1600ccm ? for OE I newer heard? can you write for 1,8?head on photo
Acki

Post by Acki »

The HGT has a bore of 82.00 mm and a lift of 82.70 mm = 1747ccm. CR is 10.3:1.
I only knew a 1.8 16V HGT, Fiat standard engine :)
1.6 16V could be a Palio/Marea engine (old SOHC style block but 16V head. - I don't know how the HGT engines look! Maybe it's same style).

Here some pictures of the 1.6 16V engine:
1.6 16V vs 1.6 8V
bugar

Post by bugar »

Acki if you look frst head ? 1,6HGT -head is like 1,8 brava is diferent chamber and valve dim if you look
you will find diferent details but can be 1,6 HGT only if is changed stroke (1600 kit car)
Acki

Post by Acki »

I know that the HGT engine is other than the 1.6 16V engine.
I thought you don't know that the HGT has 1.8Litre. Now I know you mean the 1600 Kitcar.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Good photos Martin, thanks.

Sorry for the confusion, I think that head I displayed is the HGT Punto 1800 one but it's being used on a short stroke 1579 engine as used in the Punto Supersports rally cars.

GC
Westfield

Post by Westfield »

Hi Guy

Tried to load picture from another tread but could not how do you do this? The picture is of the engine from the tread 16V Tipo Racer, the question is what is the engine, spec, and who built it?, reading between the lines its one of yours?

Gary
Thank you
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

That will be Richard Ellinghams' 16v Tipo.

OK - but VERY bulky, heavy block with (yeuch..) twin balance shafts, I wouldn't use that.

I'm concerned that you have not decided on a class and cubic capacity yet. If you want my best advice - if you are not 'stuck' with a Fiat I'd get rid of it and get a Vauxhall Corsa with the fabulous little 1.4 16v engine.

GC
Walezy

Post by Walezy »

If you need a reliable and fast car then you might want to think of Honda Civic Vti.

Its handling is very good and the engine is probably best in the whole world in 1600cc class. I was building such car for my friend and I never got any rusty screws (like it happens in other cars) and everything in this car is made very smart way(Japanese guys know how to do such things right).
It is the cheapest 160HP in stock that you probably can get from N/A engine and the best thing about this engine is that you can drive it very hard all day long and as long as there is a good engine oil in the oil sump it will not break. Believe me , I have made extensive tests with the that I built.

Tomasz
Attachments
DSC00950_resize.JPG
DSC00950_resize.JPG (171.27 KiB) Viewed 11851 times
Book#378
Westfield

Post by Westfield »

Guy Croft wrote:That will be Richard Ellinghams' 16v Tipo.

OK - but VERY bulky, heavy block with (yeuch..) twin balance shafts, I wouldn't use that.

I'm concerned that you have not decided on a class and cubic capacity yet. If you want my best advice - if you are not 'stuck' with a Fiat I'd get rid of it and get a Vauxhall Corsa with the fabulous little 1.4 16v engine.

GC

Hi Guy

Ok that advise taken on Tipo 16V. The problem I have Guy is that I want (have) to keep it a Fiat engine and box for the reg's, they say i can change the engine but have to use Fiat engine replacement, also I want to keep it Fait because I do not want to be messing about with engine mounts etc. My preference for CC 1.6, 1.8 or 2.0, do you know if the 16v head you showed will marry to any block with front engine mounting point as on the Punto GT / Tipo blocks? if so I would go with that as a stating point. Also as Alfa Romeo are Fiat would any of there engines fit ie. the 147?

Your help is greatly appreciated.

Gary

Gary
Thank you