piston velocity

Competition engines and ancillaries - general discussion
SteveninNI

piston velocity

Post by SteveninNI »

Hi,

IM new on here but have been reading the site for some time and find the flowbench section very good. My numbers have never reallymatched with others who quote them but they do seem to match well with yours.

anyhow- I am currently developing 2 S1600 peugeot engines for tarmac rallying and have a question about maximum piston velocity.

These engines are the typical spec with slipper pistons, steel cranks and rods, alloy flywheel, solid tappets and cma profiles to suit. I am almost finished the head development and have just inserted the heads to use the C2 sized valve as the head is very under valved in std form.

The previous engines were just stop gap engines and produced 198bhp at 8100rpm. My question is this- the previous engines never peaked, power was still going up, and with the additional airflow and racier cams Im not sure what I can safely take the engine to.

I tend to work from 1st principles but cannot find any data to back up my theory on max piston velocity. Surely it is not just about stroke size? Surely rod length must come into it (affecting dwell at TDC) assuming valve to piston clearance nver becomes an issue.

What are your thoughts? Or d I just build and dyno it as per usual?