Titanium Valves use

Competition engines and ancillaries - general discussion
Nero

Titanium Valves use

Post by Nero »

Has anyone used Ti valves in a twin cam
I recently held such a valve, which had almost a 50% weight saving over the SS version, Having discussed supply and use with Del West I am aware of the guide and set materials issues.
Acki

Post by Acki »

I didn't use them but I know that you have to drive very hard seats.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

martin - you don't necessarily - when I worked in F1 the valves in the Hart V8 and V10 were titanium (coated, maybe, no idea) and ran on copper-alloy seats and in copper-alloy guides.

FWIW - re the orginal question nobody would choose titanium for a twin-cam, the money is better spent on other things. Sorry to spoil the party but I do more than most and that's, well, fact. Titanium should be reserved for very high revving engines only, like, er, F1 engines...

There are no weight issues or spring control problems with the TC with GC triple springs even with 46mm inlets - which as valves go - are pretty heavy. Sorry to labour the point but not enough people use them preferring instead to mix and match inner and outer coils and rely on simple maths to determine the 'right' spring rate. Undamped springs don't do what you think! Not at all. They have a movement all of their own! Weird but true. Use any other spring type than GC ones and yes, you could run into problems. The adverse harmonics during, and between, lift phases that crash everything together and cause total loss of control in the valve train mechanics are more a function of cam profile (acceleration) and absence_of_damping in the springs. You simply cannot cure that with lighter valves.

GC
Acki

Post by Acki »

Hmm I didn't need to use copper beryllium seats?
What's with the power loss of using very hard springs when I use heavy valves?
On a honda head you can press the springs with your hands down?!
bugar

Re: Titanium Valves use

Post by bugar »

Fot Ti valves is important heat transfer from valves on seat end guides for thet is must use berilium or
ampco 45 , cast iron is too good if you have not bronza but definetly not hard seat Ti valves
liked soft seats