Lancia Montecarlo in South Africa

Post pics of your car in here
simon_fdl

Lancia Montecarlo in South Africa

Post by simon_fdl »

I've owned this car for 10 years and have raced it in a historic racing series for
about 8 years. It has gradually morphed into more of a track car than a road car.
It was originally owned by the son of the South African Lancia importer and was fitted
with an Alquati kit by the importer (TAK Motors). It was tested by the SA Car magazine
in June 1982.
When I bought the car, the engine had standard pistons, reground cams and dual 40mm DCNFs
on the Alquati manifold. It was fitted with a nasty 4-1 header and the power delivery
was all-or-nothing between about 4500 and 5500 revs.
Current engine spec:
Head - lightly ported in 1982. New valve guides, valves and springs.
Cams - reground in 1982.
Pistons - 84.4mm Mahle-Malossi 1600cc, balanced.
Con rods - standard, balanced.
Crank - oversize bearings 20thou, balanced, oil feed modified as per GC.
Aux shaft modified as per GC.
Carbs - 44mm DCNF, 37mm venturis, F30 emulsion tubes, 160 mains, 195 airs.
I'm in Johannesburg - 5500ft above sea level.
Exhaust - Ansa 4-2-1 header with custom tailpipe and silencer.
9 row Setrab oil cooler.
I've had about 4 Montecarlo engines dynoed at the same facility over the last few years.
The current motor delivered figures as follows:
125kw @ 5600rpm
231Nm @ 4500rpm, over 200Nm from 3000rpm onwards.
Figures are "corrected for crankshaft". Regardless, the motor feels strong and my lap
times have dropped - which is what counts.
The car runs LEDA suspension which dropped the lap times about 1.5sec a lap and runs
minimal toe front and rear. Camber is standard - I may add some negative camber in front.
Rear brakes are standard, fronts are Fiat Uno Turbo discs with Fiat Siena/Punto calipers.
Goodridge braided steel hoses, Motul fluid.
I'm trying to keep the car in more or less the same configuration as when it was new
which is why I've stuck with the DCNFs rather than DCOEs. Our race regulations are for
roadworthy cars, we do not require roll cages, but do require a proper harness. We are
encouraged to drive to and from the circuit - which suits me fine as I don't have a trailer.
Regards, Simon Taylor
Attachments
Zwartkops race track
Zwartkops race track
zwartkops.jpg (47.48 KiB) Viewed 5269 times
Wesbank raceway
Wesbank raceway
wesbank_raceway.jpg (40.73 KiB) Viewed 5268 times
Current engine layout. Airbox cover removed.
Current engine layout. Airbox cover removed.
engine2.jpg (86.21 KiB) Viewed 5268 times
Previous engine layout. Airbox is original Alquati.
Previous engine layout. Airbox is original Alquati.
engine1.jpg (97.26 KiB) Viewed 5269 times
The oil cooler is fed cold air by 2 x 3" flex pipes from the underbody central duct.
The oil cooler is fed cold air by 2 x 3" flex pipes from the underbody central duct.
Oil_cooler_1.jpg (58.91 KiB) Viewed 5269 times
LanciaDan

Re: Lancia Montecarlo in South Africa

Post by LanciaDan »

simon_fdl wrote:I've owned this car for 10 years and have raced it in a historic racing series for
about 8 years. It has gradually morphed into more of a track car than a road car.
It was originally owned by the son of the South African Lancia importer and was fitted
with an Alquati kit by the importer (TAK Motors). It was tested by the SA Car magazine
in June 1982.
Hi Simon! Im very happy that my fathers car has been taken well care of! Seems like it reached the hands of a true enthusiast. I have some of the best memories of my childhood from that car! It was very special...

Regards
Daniel Scheimann