125 Special 1972

Post pics of your car in here
per

125 Special 1972

Post by per »

My other car in this forum, recently bought together with my dad.
I was brought up with him having a grey 125 '68, a red 125S '70, a green 125S '72 and a green 125S '70. For example! ;)

Now we were smitten by nostalgia and bought this dark blue '72 together. It's in pretty good shape, and has been standing still since 1984. So - it'll be interesting to bring it to life again!

It's bog standard, except 2 yellow extra lights.. (typical of 70's Sweden.. They are coming off! ;))

Some parts has been found already on an internet auction site, as:

# new rear bumper
# new headlights
# new std shocks
# new thick beige carpets

..what's missing now is

# rubber strip for rear bumper
# outer vent grilles

.. plus some welding wire and a whole lotta paint! :)
Attachments
large_34411-299500.jpg
large_34411-299500.jpg (256.1 KiB) Viewed 9803 times
Argenta 120ie
125S
per

Post by per »

More pics / info here: http://www.garaget.org/?car=34411
Argenta 120ie
125S
1969race125

Post by 1969race125 »

Hi Per,

I have the outer vents grilles you need. I also have numerous other trim spares if required (but sorry, no rear bumper rubber...). Just send me a PM and I will send them to you at cost.

Good luck with the restoration!

Andrew
per

Post by per »

Great! PM sent! :)
Argenta 120ie
125S
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Per, hi

that's a really nice vehicle. And you know, photos don't really do justice to those cars. And, I mean, in their day they really were 'special' and you had to be earning 'good money' to buy one.

I saw a beautiful example at a motorway service station 2 years ago and it was so well preserved I went to talk to the owner about it. Something really attractive from a now 'already-almost-forgotten period'.

GC
per

Post by per »

*starstruck* :)
Mr. Croft I've read all your books.. :)

Very nice comment, thank you. Yes that's right, it's a very clean shaped car with great proportions, even more so this late facelift I think. The wider "face" made the front look not so narrow. Still, the old rear lights were cooler..
And those magnesium wheels.. They actually were standard on the Special sold here (also revcounter), not sure about other markets..

When I was a kid I was almost obsessed with the 125, I knew all the tech details and I could sit in my dads green '72 for hours and just dream.. haha. And in school i bragged about my dad‚´s Fiat with 100hp! No-one belived me in first grade, 1981.

So this day had to come I suppose, my own 125!

It must have been seen as a rocket in it's day, I'm sure I've read somewhere about certain F1-drivers had these as road cars..
Last edited by per on April 15th, 2007, 12:04 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Argenta 120ie
125S
youngy125

Post by youngy125 »

Nice car - love the 125s.
I had a right hand drive version almost identical to yours only it was in such poor condition it was only good as a parts car. It still makes me sad to think.
I do like the grill on the later Specials but prefer the bumpers, front blinkers and rear end of the earlier ones. (but I¢ž¢m biased - see my 125s)
Still it is driving a 125 I like the best and you can't see any of those bits whilst driving.
per

Post by per »

I must add - a great big Hurrah to Andrew for my new outer vents! All the way from NZ to Sweden, thank you very much!
These will definately come in handy..
Argenta 120ie
125S
sumplug

Post by sumplug »

This is what this forum is all about, bring like minded people together who can help one another!!
Talking of 125's. When they were new, there was not much that could compete with it. They were quick, and easily tuneable too. I am amazed they are not sought after in the classic circles. I know which I would choose between a Ford,Vauxhall or a 125!!!

Andy.