Punto HGT Abarth track car

Post pics of your car in here
mark_hmv

Punto HGT Abarth track car

Post by mark_hmv »

A few years ago I had a mk2 Fiat Punto HGT abarth which I did a few track days in and took round the Nurburgring but unfortunately due to a excessively corroded chassis I had to scrap the car, I kept some of the performance parts I had fitted as I always wanted to get another,

My old HGT Abarth at Oulton Park
old hgt.jpg
old hgt.jpg (125.83 KiB) Viewed 32629 times
GC_130
mark_hmv

Re: Punto HGT Abarth track car

Post by mark_hmv »

recently I managed to find this punto hgt which has a sound chassis with very little rust, the idea with this track car is only to improve the handling and braking, the engine I shall be keeping standard, I want to be able to learn how to drive fast on a track to eventually get into motorsport.

New hgt.jpg
New hgt.jpg (123.24 KiB) Viewed 32626 times
GC_130
mark_hmv

Post by mark_hmv »

I had some omp strut braces from my old hgt which I managed to fit on, the lower strut brace is quite difficult to fit, the engine is a 1.8 16v vfd, 130bhp
upper strut brace fitted.jpg
upper strut brace fitted.jpg (226.06 KiB) Viewed 32626 times
lower strut brace fitted.jpg
lower strut brace fitted.jpg (149.98 KiB) Viewed 32626 times
Last edited by mark_hmv on November 4th, 2018, 9:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GC_130
mark_hmv

Post by mark_hmv »

I wanted to upgrade the brakes a bit this time so I got a set of calipers off a mk2b punto hgt which uses a 284mm disc instead of 257mm,
brake discs.jpg
brake discs.jpg (233.33 KiB) Viewed 32626 times

the calipers I immediatly sent them off for a re build and they came back as new, along with some new ferodo ds2500 pads and discs I fitted them on.
caliper and pad.jpg
caliper and pad.jpg (228.23 KiB) Viewed 32626 times
GC_130
mark_hmv

Post by mark_hmv »

suspension I opted for vogtland springs and dampers which lower the car 35mm all round,
suspension.jpg
suspension.jpg (140.65 KiB) Viewed 32626 times

I fitted the suspension kit with some new top mounts and mounting cups
suspension and brakes fitted.jpg
suspension and brakes fitted.jpg (132.44 KiB) Viewed 32626 times
GC_130
mark_hmv

Post by mark_hmv »

I had a spare set of O.Z Racing ultraleggera alloy wheels which I had some Yokohama AD08r tyres fitted, I have used these in the past on the Nürburgring and they are one of my favourite set of tyres, they offer a lot of grip once warmed up, I opted for 185/55/15 which is the same size as the original tyres so they are a perfect fit with no scraping of the rear wheel arches.

wheel on with tyre.jpg
wheel on with tyre.jpg (195.93 KiB) Viewed 32626 times
GC_130
mark_hmv

Post by mark_hmv »

I had a omp steering wheel off my old hgt which I fitted
omp steering wheel.jpg
omp steering wheel.jpg (92.55 KiB) Viewed 32626 times
On to the instruments, Racetech gauges which I am sure Guy will approve of, very easy to install as they are mechanical so no wiring, oil and coolant temperature, oil pressure
racetech guages.jpg
racetech guages.jpg (117.05 KiB) Viewed 32626 times
GC_130
mark_hmv

Post by mark_hmv »

the oil temp I will fit into the mocal sandwich plate, I cleaned it up with some jizer brake cleaner before fitted (after this picture was taken)
mocal sandwich plate.jpg
mocal sandwich plate.jpg (178.78 KiB) Viewed 32625 times
I had a mocal laminova left over from my uno turbo which i didn't end up using so it will be perfect for this punto, it is the smallest size so equivelent to a 10-13row air to air oil cooler, I decided to fit it into the lower radiator hose due to the shape of the hose meaning it was a easy fit, the oil lines I used mocal 1/2" 100r6 hose with 1/2" fittings from Think automotive.
oil filter on.jpg
oil filter on.jpg (189.67 KiB) Viewed 32625 times
the hgt uses a oil/water heat exchanger which I removed and in its place a mocal sandwich plate with a m20 extension bolt, the original (new) oil filter still fits
sandwich on no filter.jpg
sandwich on no filter.jpg (193.39 KiB) Viewed 32625 times

oil lines fitted and secured with rubber lined p clips, the aim is to keep the oil temps below 85-90 degrees.
laminova finished.jpg
laminova finished.jpg (141.94 KiB) Viewed 32625 times
Last edited by mark_hmv on November 4th, 2018, 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GC_130
mark_hmv

Post by mark_hmv »

This is currently how the car looks, Trackday is booked in December at Oulton Park circuit.
current pic.jpg
current pic.jpg (245.26 KiB) Viewed 32625 times
GC_130
Spider 1969

Post by Spider 1969 »

Work well done Mark! Keep us posted about your track day.

Regards,
Charles
GC_26
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

A nicely documented post with super photos, well done!

The only observation I would make is that I would never use push-on rubber hose and clips on oil lines. It's just too risky. I've seen them leak and blow off, same goes for fir-tree push-on hose and swivels.

I've tried all the different methods and the only one I recommend is Mocal 100R6 stainless-braided with crimped-on swivels. Think Automotive make this up at their works. Always fit one straight swivel to any hose (the other end can carry a straight, 45 or 90 deg swivel) and following this rule prevents the hose from coiling up when you fit it.

GC
Guy Croft, owner
Will01

Post by Will01 »

Guy Croft wrote: November 6th, 2018, 1:14 pm A nicely documented post with super photos, well done!

The only observation I would make is that I would never use push-on rubber hose and clips on oil lines. It's just too risky. I've seen them leak and blow off, same goes for fir-tree push-on hose and swivels.

I've tried all the different methods and the only one I recommend is Mocal 100R6 stainless-braided with crimped-on swivels. Think Automotive make this up at their works. Always fit one straight swivel to any hose (the other end can carry a straight, 45 or 90 deg swivel) and following this rule prevents the hose from coiling up when you fit it.

GC
Good point on hoses.
I agree, a great job so far. Enjoy the trackdays.
GC_21