New member, love a project

Post pics of your car in here
onyxdean

New member, love a project

Post by onyxdean »

Good afternoon,

Just thought I'd do a quick intro, I'm Dean and I'm a projectaholic. Current in the stables -

MK1 Golf G60 - Bored and stroked stage 4 G60 engine, carbon roof/doors/tailgate/bonnet, still needs a lot of work to get sorted -

VW Camper - 1964 11 window, soon to be running a 150bhp (ish) 2110cc type 1 engine -

RX7 FD - 1992 FD3S, single turbo, highly modified (383bhp at fly) currently undergoing full bare metal respray -

GC 151
onyxdean

Re: New member, love a project

Post by onyxdean »

And then finally, and the main reason for signing up, I felt sorry for this poor girl, an Onyx Firecat, Grimsby's finest automotive offspring. A fwd kitcar based on the Fiat uno turbo. This one is a factory prepared track car featuring the mk1 uno turbo engine. Got her to the point of being mot worthy but had headgasket failure whilst at the garage. Already started building a brand new engine, and will start a separate thread about that as I need some help sourcing some over size pistons. But here she is (please don't judge me on the rear wing, it came with the car and I haven't decided if its useful or useless yet -

GC 151
Simon

Post by Simon »

Some great projects there Dean, I thought I had a lot on the go at once! I'm particularly liking the VW as I'm a fellow air-cooled VW owner myself ('61 Wizard of Rods bug), but the Onyx looks like fun, a bit like a Minari.

Thanks for that shot of the VW engine, it was was very interesting for two reasons: 1. I've just finished a build myself, and 2. I noticed you have a B&D/Wolf valve grinder on the bench in the background, and I can now see where that the long threaded rod goes - its the travel stop. I bought one a few years ago in bits and couldn't figure out where it was from.

Looking forward to the updates.
GC_15
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Dean wrote me today so I rang him.

Dean is a Director of a respected online publication called "The Lincolnite", good friends with my local community radio, "Lincoln City Radio" - 103.6FM for a modest distance from Lincoln City (UK) and online at www.lincolncityradio.com.

I mention this because I have some nice friends among the broadcasters, Terry Dooley and Andy Sayers to name just two. TD and GC will be working together late Spring on a 'Cars and film music' series...

Anyway, not to spoil the party, here is new friend Dean from my city. Dean is a motorsport enthusiast and maybe we will work together to bring "GCRE World Twin-cam Day" to reality this year...

GC
Guy Croft, owner
onyxdean

Post by onyxdean »

Thanks Guy!

Yes big fan of motorsport, the old man works for Hall & Hall out Bourne way and is running a FF2000 (Delta) in the HSCC this year (I'll be supporting at Donnington next weekend if anyone else is about.). I'm also a team sponsor of PP Motorsport who are running a car in the UK Clio Cup part of the BTCC card. Our driver James Colburn should qualify top 5 tomorrow.

This year I'm looking to prepare a car to compete in hillclimb and with the changes to the classes I'm trying to decide what will be the most competitive vehicle for the job, road going up to 1400cc seems the most interesting to me, maybe a 106 Rallye.
GC 151