1977 124 Spider CS1 - Lincolnshire UK

Post pics of your car in here
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: 1977 124 Spider CS1 - Lincolnshire UK

Post by Guy Croft »

nice one Phil, looks way better, as I saw today..

G
Guy Croft, owner
PumaPhil

Post by PumaPhil »

I went to the highly respected rolling road at Northampton Motorsport (approved by GC) last Tuesday where Troy worked his magic. This run was to check 4 things:

1. That the airbox I'd made was working OK.
2. After correcting a fault with the distributor that it too was working OK.
3. Fine tuning of the carb.
4. Do a power check.

The results are shown below:
Spider Dyno 19 Jul 16.png
Spider Dyno 19 Jul 16.png (654.22 KiB) Viewed 32085 times
The results in order:

1. The airbox seemed to have worked very well, as the peak power was the same as the previous session when the carb had the old plenum removed. Also there were no pressure waves evident with very smooth lines.
2. No issues with the timing, no pinking at all.
3. The Lamda line is much flatter than before by changing primary and secondary jets and the car now drives more smoothly.
4. The power runs were done on the hottest day of the year, inside the garage the temperature was 35 Deg C (95 Deg F)! However, Troy assured me that the figures were temperature compensated. Although the state of tune is pretty tame by normal GC standards, it's pretty good considering the engine's relatively modest state of tune; weber TC 32/36 carb, 42/36 mm valves, A8M forged pistons - 10:1 CR, partial gasflow head, GC 3A inlet cam, OE std exhaust cam.

I am pleased with the overall effect, now the problems with the distributor, plenum and carb are all resolved it drives so well on the road; has good usable power, it's great for overtaking and has good low-down torque, plus it is well behaved. All-in-all it behaves as I originally briefed GC that I wanted from it. But of course we always want a bit more.... it's like a drug, so hopefully one day in the not too distant future I will get GC to put in bigger valves and fully gasflow the head to give it even more oomph! Then maybe IDFs....? No no! I must learn to stop when I'm ahead!

So long as I don't shift the Tq curve any more to the right, it should remain very enjoyable for road use. All I can say is it is a real hoot to drive!
Last edited by PumaPhil on July 10th, 2017, 7:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
GC-05
'If you think experts are expensive, you should try amateurs!'

A redline run my GC's engine: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=80nEhsJbH2w
Spider 1969

Post by Spider 1969 »

Congrats Phil; nice work on the air box. It did retrieve the "lost" 10 bhp.
Can't blame you for wanting more though! My guestimate would be that twin 44 IDF's will put you well above 150 bhp with more torque on the same flat curve.
45DCOE's even more but that would require converting to rhd; wouldn't that be a nice winter's project? Easier to find airboxes for them.
Regards,
Charles
GC_26
PumaPhil

Post by PumaPhil »

Thanks Charles,

The car is running so sweetly now the distributor and carb are sorted. When my piggy bank is a bit fuller I'll start with the head then maybe IDFs if I feel it needs them. But I'm interested to do it in stages to see how things go. You never know, maybe sticking with the 32/36 Weber will be sufficient once the head has more work done but there's no denying how cool IDFs/DCOEs look and sound so they will always be a temptation.
thank you, Phil
GC-05

Piotrek125p

Post by Piotrek125p »

GC, are the twin 44 IDF's are a solution to get a 140 - 147 lb ft from this engine ?
GC approved
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

not necessarily.

I did so few tests of engines on single carbs I missed out on something really, I will not lie. A single carb can produce very good power, more than I first thought, and a super flat torque curve too. Like the one Phil has and more..

That was quite a revelation - I really only found this out 2 years ago.

In the case of Phil's engine - as I have told him - I would first go to 43.5mm inlet valves (43.5mm simply because I can still get them without having to get them specially made) with bigger inlet seat inserts with the right GC spec angles, keep the 36mmm ex valves. I think that will add 10bhp with a commensurate increase in torque throughout the range.

Next step would be a GC ex cam, Phil's is OE std at present.

An engine with that spec would 'fly' past 147bhp, no problem.

G
Guy Croft, owner
Marek

Post by Marek »

Dear Phil,
Besides of good result on graph, engine sound is impressed.
Im waiting for new movie.
Marek
GC_120
PumaPhil

Post by PumaPhil »

Show Success

Today was my local Sleaford Historic Car Show.

Unfortunately it started to rain but I gained another class win (cars 1973-1986) for the 3rd year running, which was surprising given that the Alfa Spider next to mine was totally immaculate having just completed a nut-and-bold rebuild!

But at the end of the show I was amazed to find out that the public had given my car the most votes, so I was also awarded best Classic Car of the show!
Attachments
Some cars gathering to drive to the show
Some cars gathering to drive to the show
Drive.jpg (392.75 KiB) Viewed 33281 times
A small selection of the cars
A small selection of the cars
Show.jpg (463.67 KiB) Viewed 33281 times
Class win and best car!
Class win and best car!
Front.jpg (425.93 KiB) Viewed 33281 times
GC-05

Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

That is really something Phil - 100% congratulations!!!

GC
Guy Croft, owner
Spider 1969

Post by Spider 1969 »

Congrats Phil! A much deserved reward for your effort.

Regards,

Charles
GC_26
Will01

Post by Will01 »

Nice one :)
Gotta say those wheels look really good on the car along with the luggage rack.
I look at the other car and can easily see why you got the trophy
GC_21
PumaPhil

Post by PumaPhil »

I recently visited my local Fiat dealership and asked if they wanted my Spider to display to help promote the launch the new 2016 Fiat Spider. The lovely people at Stoneacre of Lincoln, in particular Fabio, were very enthusiastic about my car. Consequently, Fabio called me this week to take up my offer and my Spider has been on display all weekend.

It was lovely to hear how enthusiastic the public were about the old model and the staff at Stoneacre spent around 2 hours polishing and detailing my car and it looks absolutely fantastic in the late summer sun - it's never looked so good!

I must admit I was impressed with the new Spider, but even one of the salesman admitted he'd prefer my Spider - as do I, but still a very nice compliment.

It was such a nice way to for the summer open-top motoring season to draw to a close.

GC, I hope you don't mind me mentioning the Stoneacre Fiat but I'm sure you'll agree they were such a nice bunch and were very helpful when we visited today.
Attachments
I really like the look of the new Spider, sorry I didn't get the front which is the best view.
I really like the look of the new Spider, sorry I didn't get the front which is the best view.
IMG_6293.jpg (1.75 MiB) Viewed 33153 times
IMG_6304.jpg
IMG_6304.jpg (1.59 MiB) Viewed 33153 times
IMG_6315.jpg
IMG_6315.jpg (1.68 MiB) Viewed 33153 times
I loved how it looked in the evening light.
I loved how it looked in the evening light.
IMG_6322.jpg (1.64 MiB) Viewed 33153 times
GC-05

Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Hi Phil

you are a respected client and great friend and everything you do here is good with me...

We were together at Stoneacre today to pick up your beautiful Spider - I was as impressed as you were by the friendship, courtesy, kindness and generosity of all the staff at their Lincoln branch. Being with you was like being with Royalty, same feeling, opened doors, I would know, I knew enough of them in the old days!

Stoneacre have been appointed as an Abarth dealer which is really a thing, so well done them. And, may I say 100% good-luck to Fiat with this new brand, truly.

Not before time, Fiat, not before time....! Never walk away from your heritage, it is what made you - and what you are today.

GC
Attachments
IMG_20160911_160521.jpg
IMG_20160911_160521.jpg (1.99 MiB) Viewed 33146 times
IMG_0633.JPG
IMG_0633.JPG (283.52 KiB) Viewed 33146 times
IMG_0635.JPG
IMG_0635.JPG (120.99 KiB) Viewed 33146 times
Guy Croft, owner
Piotrek125p

Post by Piotrek125p »

It looks very impressive, I am very glad that Fiat dealer takes care about history of this amazing car as 124 is.

Phil, take please my congratulations, I am very delighted when I am looking for your posts and photos, your job with this car is simple stuning and I am very enjoyed it.

GC, this is very good from my point of view that you have a really good contact with your clients. It is nice, that we, Fiat fans have a person who is an amazing engine builder, teacher and real Fiat fan in one person. I think that I am a very lucky that I can get a knowledge about F/L TC from this kind of person.

Piotrek

P.S, it is looks that silk racing jacket from GC has they premiere ?
GC approved
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Thank you for your kind & generous comments Piotr!

Yes the jacket is one of my silk designs...

G
Guy Croft, owner