Riley 1953 RMF 2.5

Post pics of your car in here
Will01

Riley 1953 RMF 2.5

Post by Will01 »

Hi Guys
Here's another project that i am currently working on and trying to keep running with my father, although compared to the 1948 RMA this one is going to need alot more work to get it upto Wedding Car Hire condition.
This has also been bought to use as a potential Wedding car the main difference is that this is slightly bigger with a bit more grunt.
The car is being driven at the moment to make sure its kept running as the worst thing you can do to a car is leave it sitting still. My father drove this up from London which is a bit of a trek and a half in a car of such age, but unlike the RMA it managed the journey without breaking down.
The paintwork is going to need a good respray but only after we have fixed the roof lining which is a bit tatty, otherwise the car will only need a few mechanical bits and pieces to make it drive well again.
Luckily this car has hydraulic brakes and as the shoes have been replaced recently the only thing needed done here is a good balance.
The interior of the car is going to need a good freshen up, but for a car of such age it really isnt bad.
Enjoy the pictures, i will keep this as up to date as possible as with the other projects
Attachments
Riley RMF.JPG
Riley RMF.JPG (47.83 KiB) Viewed 22965 times
GC_21
Will01

Re: Riley 1953 RMF 2.5

Post by Will01 »

A few more pictures
Attachments
Nice spacious interior
Nice spacious interior
IMAG0439.jpg (45.86 KiB) Viewed 22961 times
Proper wooden dash
Proper wooden dash
IMAG0442.jpg (44.79 KiB) Viewed 22961 times
Suicide doors
Suicide doors
IMAG0451.jpg (48.45 KiB) Viewed 22961 times
Old fashioned air conditioning with cowling flaps, means cold feet
Old fashioned air conditioning with cowling flaps, means cold feet
IMAG0438.jpg (44.27 KiB) Viewed 22961 times
Spot lamp on outside, still trying to work out if this was an ex-police car?
Spot lamp on outside, still trying to work out if this was an ex-police car?
IMAG0449.jpg (46.08 KiB) Viewed 22961 times
GC_21
Will01

Post by Will01 »

Noticed that the fan belt on the car had a large crack in it, maybe that happened on its long drive up North, however i have just got a replacement so that will be a job for tonight or tomorrow night.
Otherwise everything is in order and i may take it for a small drive after to see everything is still running ok. The great thing about these old cars is that the Motoring bills are substantially reduced now and insurance is also very cheap.
I will add pictures as and when
GC_21
Will01

Post by Will01 »

So not really done all that much to the RMF, it had been sat outside over the winter because of a lack of garage space which did the interior no good at all as it leaked water in everywhere and things got a little furry. Luckily in February we did manage to clear out enough garage space next to our wood store in order to get the car under cover to see if we could dry it off.
Because of the great weather we are having at the moment i decided to get the car out and start stripping out the interior in order to clean it back up again so we can start to use the car a bit more.
I removed all the seats and carpets in order to give them a good clean, all the interior was dry so i also set out with the hoover to give all the headlining a good vacuum and start freshing back up again. The sets were treated to a very good clean with hot soapy water and then left to dry in the sunshine. The carpets were all treated to a thorough clean with the pressure washer, i have always found that this is a great way of bringing old carpets and seats back to life(as long as you can get them dry again!).
All of the interior apart from the drivers seat is now back in and looks soo much better. When some of the other projects get closer to completion or are finished we will start work on completely renovating the roof, interior and paintwork, luckily all the mechanicals seem to be fine and the car drives really quite well. She will be an absolute stunner and great for wedding hire when all the hard work is down in time.
GC_21
Will01

Post by Will01 »

Few pictures to show seats and interior whilst cleaning. As you can see from the photos the carpets didn't look very nice after being sat wet for a while.
They did clean up superbly with the pressure washer and dried off nicely. The seats also came up well so the car can be enjoyed whilst its dry.
Its just nice to be able to keep this car running for enjoyment but still would love to see us renovating this properly one day, after all the others are done of course. The main thing it drives and is pleasurable to go out in, as long as it s dry of course.
Attachments
Carpets not looking very nice
DSC_1774.jpg (125.97 KiB) Viewed 22573 times
DSC_1776.jpg (101.77 KiB) Viewed 22573 times
Interior completely being stripped out
Interior completely being stripped out
DSC_1777.jpg (180.77 KiB) Viewed 22573 times
Rear back seat support being cleaned up
Rear back seat support being cleaned up
DSC_1779.jpg (211.04 KiB) Viewed 22573 times
Passenger seat being cleaned up
Passenger seat being cleaned up
DSC_1780.jpg (181.8 KiB) Viewed 22573 times
GC_21
Will01

Post by Will01 »

Little video of when we took the car out for a little drive
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qumzd7J_xQQ
GC_21
Will01

Post by Will01 »

So you can see from the past pictures the car is not in the brightest of shapes. Maybe not driving her for a while had made her worse, but this year we have spent a little time tidying her back up.
This was definitely required as it will be used as a wedding car for my cousins wedding next weekend to take the Mother of Bride and Bridesmaids.
The other Riley 1.5 will be used for the Bride/Father and then Bride Groom after the ceremony.
It really will be great to get both out together.

Anyway, the outside of the car has really suffered since it sits in an outside open side garage. The first job was to clean her up, therefore we have spent alot of time wet mopping the car and then touching in where required. The results really are fantastic, still no where near as clean looking as the 1.5, but it is a huge transformation.
However after sitting soo long the exhaust had suffered very badly. Whoever did work on this before needs shot though, the previous owners had just bodged and bodged its sections over the years. Thankfully both my father and I agreed that it required a new exhaust in the shape of a stainless system.
Therefore we have shelled out for a system from manifold flange connection to tailpipe.
The removal of the rusty exhaust i did think was going to be really painful, however to my amazement every single bolt/nut/clamp came undone! How lucky was that. In fact everything came undone with ease.
We have now got the new system mostly installed, still needs a few more clamps and then an alignment fettle, but the difference is very noticeable. The car sounds soo much better(obviously than having several blows etc). I will try to upload photo and video links to show difference. The next job will be new oil and filters and try to keep her driving a bit more often.
GC_21