Riley 1948 RMA 1.5

Post pics of your car in here
Will01

Riley 1948 RMA 1.5

Post by Will01 »

Hi Guys
I have already posted a few of my other cars but here's some others i am currently working on and trying to keep running with my father.
This has been bought to use as a bit of different fun, but maybe also hire out for Weddings etc.
It is a great little runner now that i have spent a little time on it after purchase (it broke down in Reading only 350 miles away from home!)
Luckily after a complete Ignition system refresh it is running well.
Future plans for this car are very simple, the Air filter maybe replaced & the Complete ignition system will be replaced by a Electronic ignition system and Silicone HT leads.
Other plans will be just to keep the car in top notch condition so i will update as and when any work is required, it really is a beautiful car and after driving it you can tell it comes from a different era of motoring. Full of character.
Attachments
Looking stunning
Looking stunning
Riley RMA.JPG (45.95 KiB) Viewed 8307 times
GC_21
badlyworntoy

Re: Riley 1948 RMA 1.5

Post by badlyworntoy »

I'd love to take that old lass for a smoke down the coast.
Will01

Post by Will01 »

It is a very characterful drive, traveling at more than 40mph is quite scary actually especially when you realise how bad the brakes are, they are operated with pushrods. It obviously was an early design of abs.
Makes any long driving quite tiresome and if its raining even more difficult as the wipers are hand operated. I will eventually make a short video when we take it for another drive.
GC_21
Will01

Post by Will01 »

Here's some pictures of rebuilding Bakerlite Base plate in distributor with new points and condensor.
I have also attached pictures of broken baseplate removed form vehicle which i suspect led to the route of the problems with the car not starting, the car was driven a long distance in hard rain prior to it not starting the next time it was driven.
Attachments
Old base plate broken, which i believe led to the failure of the pints and condensor.
Old base plate broken, which i believe led to the failure of the pints and condensor.
IMAG0749.jpg (54.38 KiB) Viewed 8269 times
All new parts fitted on new baseplate, although this agian will be replaced soon when i have time to fit the electronic ignition kit
All new parts fitted on new baseplate, although this agian will be replaced soon when i have time to fit the electronic ignition kit
IMAG0750.jpg (47.89 KiB) Viewed 8269 times
GC_21
Will01

Post by Will01 »

Last weekend we took the RMA out for a wee drive and clocked up 110 miles and for everyone's interest we managed to average 35-40mpg over the trip which i think is superb for a car of such age. I also got to drive it and i can truly say it is a different type of drive, i think we clocked up to 54mph which felt different. Unfortunately it was raining the whole time so my Dad & I had to work together to operate the windscreen wipers which i found amusing and we both had rugs over our legs to help keep us warm and dry.
Definitely a unique driving experience.
GC_21
Will01

Post by Will01 »

So after enjoying the car for some while it has now started to show a water leak and the exhaust has started to blow. I have tried several times to sort the exhaust blow but it is now quite a serious job to fix.
The water leak came along very quickly and is leaking out of the thermostat housing on top of the cylinder head.
Once i took the thermostat housing off it was quite a bit of a mess, so i think a good flush is in order. Unfortunately the original cast thermostat housing had gone all brittle and started to crumble, so a new one os also now on order. Whilst i had the parts off i treated them to a good clean in the parts washer also and have started fitting with new gaskets.
Quite a simple job, just access to some bolts is a little hard work due to large wheel arches getting in the way.

Unfortunately the manifold leak is a bigger problem. Most of the studs came off no problem although i think one has snapped off. Plus the studs that hold the water jacket on are very brittle and almost all corroded away. THe manifold would just not budge, although with contact from the Riley club it is clear that this maybe due to corroded in place Hot Spot tubes. For those of you who don't know what these are, they are tubes that go through the block from the exhaust to the inlet side. Back in the days of poor fuels and additives to put in coolant it was very important to heat up the carbs as quick as possible therefore these hot spot tubes would help warm up the inlet as quickly as possible.
The thing most people do know is to blank off such system, but for this to happen we need to be able to remove everything first. Due to an upcoming wedding we may not have the time, so a temporary fix will need to be put in place until we can sort it out properly, which may involve taking the car off the road. Not the best news as this is now wedding car season! I am confident we will sort this soon.
Attachments
Bit of a mess after remving thermostat housing
Bit of a mess after remving thermostat housing
DSC_1746.jpg (159.19 KiB) Viewed 7803 times
Getting a good cleanup in the parts washer
Getting a good cleanup in the parts washer
DSC_1747.jpg (112.11 KiB) Viewed 7803 times
After a little careful cleaning
After a little careful cleaning
DSC_1748.jpg (88.78 KiB) Viewed 7803 times
Starting to go back together with new gaskets
Starting to go back together with new gaskets
DSC_1752.jpg (93.44 KiB) Viewed 7803 times
GC_21
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

They sell that cooling liquid in Calcutta, Will - if you get stuck!

G
Guy Croft, owner
Will01

Post by Will01 »

Haha. Thanks for that info, I was pretty shocked at how dirty the coolant was so a back flush is definetely in order.
GC_21
Will01

Post by Will01 »

So we never did manage to get the manifold off this time, so we have replaced the nuts off the manifolds and the studs we can. Some of them were very ropey and had obviously been in there since new.
We will have to re-visit this job again in order to try and remove the hot spot system and manifold, but that is going to resort in extreme measures.
Luckily enough the water jacket sutds came out easily, when i saw them i thought it was going to get messy. The jacket is bolted onto the head and the bolts are permanently immersed in the coolant. There are also rubber washers which seal the jacket to the head. These had to be scraped out and new fibre washers were fitted after the faces were smoothed off nicely to ensure a good seal.
We also had to fit a brand new thermostat housing which is now cast and machined bronze with a new thermostat. It is interesting that this has a bypass which is blocked off by design. I believe it is something to do with a moveable skirt which should float up and down and open close the bypass depending on the thermostat being open or closed.
In ours this was obviously missing or had corroded away. I have still bolted up the bypass for looks and to completely block up the system.
All new gaskets and new hoses where needed have been fitted.
Started the car up and ran it for a long time, now the thermostat works properly and the car gets up to temperature much quicker. Hopefully this should improve fuel economy as it will no longer run cool & should help reduce engine wear due to engine running cool.
Next we need to take for a good long run, but it seems to be working well so far. I am also happy to note that the exhaust blow has all but dissappeared so the car sounds much better. There is still a slight manifold blow against the head when cold, but as soon as you start it up and run for a few seconds this closes up. I am already looking forward to getting the manifold off properly and fixing a new gasket...... NOT! Anyway should be good for the time being
Attachments
Water jacket studs a little rusty. I soo glad these came out easily.
Water jacket studs a little rusty. I soo glad these came out easily.
DSC_1826.jpg (191.24 KiB) Viewed 7785 times
Compared against a new one, this is what they should look like!
Compared against a new one, this is what they should look like!
DSC_1825.jpg (199.75 KiB) Viewed 7785 times
New coolant jacket studs in.
New coolant jacket studs in.
DSC_1828.jpg (99.39 KiB) Viewed 7785 times
Compare old cast iron vs new bronze(brass maybe?) thermostat housing
Compare old cast iron vs new bronze(brass maybe?) thermostat housing
DSC_1853.jpg (108.23 KiB) Viewed 7785 times
Trial fitting new top hose
Trial fitting new top hose
DSC_1854.jpg (93.16 KiB) Viewed 7785 times
Ingenious way of cutting down hose. Put hose clip on tight and use the metal clip as a plane to cut against. Cut with stanley knife and get a nice straight cut.
Ingenious way of cutting down hose. Put hose clip on tight and use the metal clip as a plane to cut against. Cut with stanley knife and get a nice straight cut.
DSC_1855.jpg (91.45 KiB) Viewed 7785 times
GC_21