Lancia Stratos with 2.0L 8V rolling chassis

Post pics of your car in here
Will01

Re: Lancia Stratos with 2.0L 8V rolling chassis

Post by Will01 »

Looking very good, nice job you are making. It is going to look, sound an go fantastic. Keep up the great work.
Will
GC_21
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

Very special little car. I'm very jealous!
GC_06
Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace »

Removing the dummy engine
Removing the dummy engine
Dummy engine removal.jpeg.jpg (46.04 KiB) Viewed 28927 times
Clutch friction plate.jpeg.jpg
Clutch friction plate.jpeg.jpg (44.82 KiB) Viewed 28927 times
Flywheel prior to cleaning.jpeg
Flywheel prior to cleaning.jpeg (121.44 KiB) Viewed 28927 times
I have now finished and tested all the wiring the one modification remaining - the Lancia Beta controls appear to keep the dipped headlights on when running on main beam. This is not good for my headlights so will see to this next week.
I have installed the clutch and bolted the gearbox/transaxle to the engine.
I have made a backplate for the air box and will order some fibreglass next week to make an airbox. An air filter and ducting is on order.
I have removed the dummy engine & transaxle and will now install all the coolant pipes.
Attachments
Clutch complete.jpeg.jpg
Clutch complete.jpeg.jpg (43 KiB) Viewed 28927 times
Engine and Gearbox.jpeg.jpg
Engine and Gearbox.jpeg.jpg (59.53 KiB) Viewed 28927 times
Airbox backplateOne.jpg
Airbox backplateOne.jpg (46.15 KiB) Viewed 28927 times
Only 70mm of clearance between end of trumpets and the fuel tanks so air intake will be mounted above the air box and air filter behind the drivers head.  Ambient can be collected from intake below wing.
Only 70mm of clearance between end of trumpets and the fuel tanks so air intake will be mounted above the air box and air filter behind the drivers head. Ambient can be collected from intake below wing.
Airbox backplateTwo.jpg (47.89 KiB) Viewed 28927 times
Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace »

June 2014 - Installed the engine and transaxle. Designed a solution to run all the coolant and oil lines. Determined the right hand fuel tank is too large to enable an airbox to be fitted to the carburettors. Removed the engine and modified the fuel tank, then re-installed the engine and gearbox. Next tasks are to reconnect the coolant and oil hoses, finalise the wiring runs plus design and build an airbox.
Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace »

My beautiful assistant helping out!
My beautiful assistant helping out!
Engine removal.JPG (41.98 KiB) Viewed 28912 times
Attachments
Insufficient room for an airbox.
Insufficient room for an airbox.
Fuel tank too big!.jpeg (46.14 KiB) Viewed 28912 times
Much improved access to the inlet side of the engine.
Much improved access to the inlet side of the engine.
Fuel tank mod.jpeg (36.47 KiB) Viewed 28912 times
Engine installed.jpeg
Engine installed.jpeg (44.87 KiB) Viewed 28912 times
Completed the front hose connections.
Completed the front hose connections.
Heater hose connections.jpeg (35.18 KiB) Viewed 28912 times
Hose runs have worked very well.
Hose runs have worked very well.
Coolant and oil plumbing.JPG (46.59 KiB) Viewed 28912 times
Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace »

I have recently made an air box and photographs show the first installation. I have yet to complete the cosmetic work but I am very pleased with the way it fits. The air filter will be remote and I will now create a sealed space above the nearside rear wheel arch liner to house the air filter and seal it from the heat of the engine bay. Ambient air will enter from a cut out in the rear bodywork just behind the central wing.
Attachments
air box body and lid in their moulds.
air box body and lid in their moulds.
AirboxMould.jpeg (37.2 KiB) Viewed 29214 times
cut outs for DCOE45s
cut outs for DCOE45s
Airbox3.jpeg (23.67 KiB) Viewed 29214 times
Air box in place with lots of room for induction.
Air box in place with lots of room for induction.
Airbox2.jpeg (34.78 KiB) Viewed 29214 times
Lid in place and hose routed to air filter location.
Lid in place and hose routed to air filter location.
Airbox1.jpeg (41.23 KiB) Viewed 29214 times
Will01

Post by Will01 »

Looking very good.
I have a question though, will your airbox not deform under load as it does not appear to be made out of thick material e.g. it will be sucked in, or will there be extra bracing to help prevent this?
Is this an initial design prototype to see what is possible as i am sure the shape could be improved etc.
It is great to see how you have put together a mould and started making your own parts, i think i may have to copy you with that one.
Keep up the good work, the car looks great
GC_21
Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace »

Regards the airbox material. The photographs make the box appear flimsy as I used mould film to line the wooden mould and it is very difficult to keep the film flat when you apply the gelcoat and it warms up! I will try mould wax sheets if I make another, in fact I thought I ordered wax sheets but clearly I made an error! The airbox has 2 layers of 450g CSM fibreglass and additional layers in the corners. I could probably stand on it!

I am currently fixing the rear bulkhead Lexan windows ahead of fitting the expansion tank.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Provided the air feed duct to the airbox is sufficiently large diameter (90mm is about right) the airbox will be at atmospheric pressure = the power will be unaffected by it and and the box itself cannot get sucked-in...

G
Guy Croft, owner
Paul Eustace

Re: Lancia Stratos with 2.0L 8V

Post by Paul Eustace »

Time for a Christmas update.
The doors and side screens are installed and working although I will wait until the last possible moment before removing the protective covering from the screens. I fitted door stays from a Peugeot 206 after shortening them to work with my doors.
I have completed the upholstery with Alcantera with only the doors remaining although I will complete this task once I have booked an IVA test.
My exhaust system was returned by Zircotec a few days ago. Their coating was necessary in my engine bay as the exhaust is close to the rear bodywork. I will remove the rear bodywork and refit the exhaust system in the next few days.
I am currently finalising the steering wheel horn wiring and will then fit the seats and seat belts for hopefully the final time! It will seem strange to drive it up and down my driveway with the doors fitted!
The only tricky job remaining is to fit IVA proof fuel fillers. I had hoped to hide the fuel fillers under the rear bodywork and lift the bodywork to fill with fuel but I doubt this approach will pass.
I should also add that my engine fired up first turn of the key and sounded superb. I have some video of the preparation and initial running that I hope to share soon. The engine hasn't missed a beat since the first run. In fact the only failure was the alternator failing to charge occasionally. After lots of investigation I determined that the warning light was too small to excite the alternator. (This was obviously nothing to do with Guy's work).
The photographs show the air intake that the forum has expressed an interest in.
Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace »

A few photographs of progress.
Attachments
Alcantera headlining.
Alcantera headlining.
image.jpg (22.04 KiB) Viewed 28199 times
Including doors!
Including doors!
image.jpg (35.68 KiB) Viewed 28199 times
Note the routing of ambient air intake.
Note the routing of ambient air intake.
image.jpg (31.15 KiB) Viewed 28199 times
Plastics4Performance made a superb job of the side screens.
Plastics4Performance made a superb job of the side screens.
image.jpg (20.57 KiB) Viewed 28199 times
Zircotec coated exhaust system
Zircotec coated exhaust system
image.jpg (26.01 KiB) Viewed 28199 times
Nobby

Post by Nobby »

Brilliant stuff. Are you going to put some sort of guard for the air filter or inner wheel arches? I wouldn't want the filer getting covered in grit or soaking wet.
Chris Burgess
GC 01
Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace »

Yes I have made wheel arch liners and just today modified the RH liner to accommodate the remote oil filter and the coolant return hoses.
Other recent progress includes the installation of seats and seat belts.
Attachments
Momo seats
Momo seats
2015-01-08 11.34.12.jpg (32.93 KiB) Viewed 28168 times
Sabelts
Sabelts
2015-01-08 11.34.33.jpg (36.45 KiB) Viewed 28168 times
Rear wheel arch liners.
Rear wheel arch liners.
2015-01-08 11.37.07.jpg (35.18 KiB) Viewed 28168 times
Right hand liner modified to accommodate coolant hoses.
Right hand liner modified to accommodate coolant hoses.
2015-01-08 11.38.05.jpg (38.3 KiB) Viewed 28168 times
Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace »

I have modified the fuel fillers to hopefully keep the IVA team happy. You will also see that Zircotec have coated my OTZ exhaust system with their amazing heat retaining coating.
Tomorrow I will finish the left hand fuel filler installation and finalise the alignment of the rear bodywork catches.
Attachments
Zircotec coating on OTZ exhaust system
Zircotec coating on OTZ exhaust system
IMG_1644.jpeg (28.41 KiB) Viewed 28156 times
Petrol filler cap
Petrol filler cap
IMG_1656.jpeg (15.34 KiB) Viewed 28156 times
miro-1980

Post by miro-1980 »

Congratulations Paul,

This is great project and great progress.

One question regarding the external oil filter and Mocal oil accumulator.

Do you plan to install oil cooler, and if yes - do you plan to use a oilstat?

Miro

PS: One "rally" comment , though. I would have grave reservations regarding any lining of the cockpit.
Your alcantara looks real neet and classy but ... for a rally car. I am not so sure ...

Stratos has been designed and build as a rally performance car. With is very low weight , rear engine - rear drive, short wheelbase vehicle. With a GC 180 bhp engine this car will fly and will not be that easy to drive (even at half of the performance level it will be capable of). Give it some thought ...
Unless this car is being built for purely civilian streets use - I would take all off for safety reasons.
In case of fire any such material could really be deadly ...
I know this is probably is not made for a hard rally , but ...
www.Fiat-abarth-rally.com
GC_93