Lancia Stratos with 2.0L 8V rolling chassis

Post pics of your car in here
Paul Eustace

Re: Lancia Stratos with 2.0L 8V rolling chassis

Post by Paul Eustace » Sun Nov 08, 2015 12:55 pm

Last week I received my V5C and I am on the road! I am delighted with the way it drives and even in 'Engine Break-In' mode the engine is really crisp and is clearly going to be lots of fun. No oil or coolant leaks, plugs look ok, gear change is a little stiff but will likely improve, the new drivers seat set up with 'Recaro Double Locking Runners' has provided slightly increased headroom and adjustment to enable my sons to drive!

I have at this stage only driven around the local lanes but unfortunately I must now return the car to my workshop for a couple of days whilst I modify the rear clam bodywork. The bodywork does not have sufficient clearance to accommodate the exhaust system as you can see from the photograph below.

When Lance of OJZ Engineering discussed the design of this system we agreed that I would modify the rear bodywork to provide clearance. I was fooling myself by hoping that the bodywork heat shield and Zircotec coating would suffice. There are no short cuts!
Heat shield looking unhappy!.jpg
Bodywork recess required
Heat shield looking unhappy!.jpg (62.45 KiB) Viewed 1174 times
_04

Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace » Tue Nov 17, 2015 10:18 am

Here are some photographs of the fibreglass modification to the rear clam bodywork to accommodate the exhaust system. I now have a good 50mm plus of clearance between the exhaust headers and the bodywork. After a good few miles driving I checked the bodywork temperature and 52C was the highest I measured so I am happy with that.

My current problem is a coolant hose collapse! When ticking over and running slowly the coolant hoses maintain their form and coolant temperature is ok. When I hit 4,000rpm the temperature gauge starts to climb and as soon as I slow the revs the temperature falls back in a couple of seconds to 80C! I believe the water pump is sucking a hose flat. When I stop and jump out with my infrared temperature gauge all the coolant pipes are at around 50C with the exception of the top rail!

The car will tick-over all day at a maximum of 85C!
Attachments
Rear Clam modification4.jpg
Header to boot bulkhead clearance
Rear Clam modification4.jpg (37.46 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
Rear Clam modification3.jpg
Zircotec sheet protecting the bodywork
Rear Clam modification3.jpg (43.96 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
Rear Clam modification2.jpg
Fibreglass repair was applied from inside the boot!
Rear Clam modification2.jpg (47.03 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
Rear Clam modification1.jpg
Hole cut in rear clam to form recess.
Rear Clam modification1.jpg (49.45 KiB) Viewed 1133 times
_04

Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft » Tue Nov 17, 2015 6:27 pm

hoses sucked flat or radiator too small or insufficient flow thru-and out (venting)..

G
Guy Croft, owner

Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace » Mon Feb 06, 2017 11:18 pm

I have finally resolved my over heating problems. I installed a Davies Craig electric water pump (EWP80) in tandem with the MonteCarlo mechanical coolant pump.
I drilled two 5mm holes in the in-head thermostat to enable the EWP80 to run even when the thermostat is closed.
I installed the EWP in the radiator return pipework by the radiator. The pump is orientated such that air cannot be trapped near the pump gland.
I have replaced the cylinder head over temperature switch with the Davies Craig temperature sensor putting the sensor right at the top of the cylinder head.
I fitted the pump controller in the centre console in front of the gear lever.
I am currently using a target coolant temperature of 85C. At 65C the pump runs for 10 seconds at 6 volts and then lies dormant for 10 seconds. At 80C the pump runs at 6 volts and increases linearly to 12 volts at 85C.
The coolant temperature now remains between 75C and 78C. The oil temperature is very similar.
I have also applied Zircotec's ZircoFlex sheet to chassis tubes and the coolant pump inlet pipework to stop the exhaust manifold heating the coolant.
Attachments
Davies,Craig EWP80 in radiator return pipework.jpg
Davies,Craig EWP80 in radiator return pipework.jpg (56.83 KiB) Viewed 423 times
EWP in radiator return pipework.jpg
EWP in radiator return pipework.jpg (53.77 KiB) Viewed 423 times
EWP80.jpg
EWP80.jpg (35.5 KiB) Viewed 423 times
Davies, Craig temperature sensor.jpg
Davies, Craig temperature sensor.jpg (65.65 KiB) Viewed 423 times
Zircotec's ZircoFlex on chassis tubes and coolant pump inlet.jpg
Zircotec's ZircoFlex on chassis tubes and coolant pump inlet.jpg (40.95 KiB) Viewed 423 times
_04

Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace » Fri Sep 15, 2017 9:09 pm

I recently finished upgrading my front brakes using HiSpec Billet Calipers, 300 * 24mm Rotors and Bells.
Next I want to fit HiSpec Electronic handbrake rear calipers together with the same rotors and bells as used on the front.
I will then fit an hydraulic handbrake.
Once I have the rear brakes sorted I will be ready to take my car to Snetterton for a track day. I promised Guy I will post some video. Now I have the coolant running 75-78C and the oil below 85C I have been able to really enjoy myself this summer.
It goes without saying the engine is absolutely brilliant.
HiSpec Billet Wheel View.jpg
HiSpec Billet Wheel View.jpg (22.77 KiB) Viewed 147 times
HiSpec Billet Caliper and brackets.jpg
HiSpec Billet Caliper and brackets.jpg (26.4 KiB) Viewed 147 times
HiSpec Billet Caliper, Rotor and Bell.jpg
HiSpec Billet Caliper, Rotor and Bell.jpg (21.81 KiB) Viewed 147 times
HiSpec Billet Suspension View.jpg
HiSpec Billet Suspension View.jpg (20.03 KiB) Viewed 147 times
HiSpec Billet.jpg
HiSpec Billet.jpg (21.8 KiB) Viewed 147 times
HiSpec Universal Bracket bolted to my brake hanger bracket.jpg
HiSpec Universal Bracket bolted to my brake hanger bracket.jpg (52.54 KiB) Viewed 147 times
_04

Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft » Sun Oct 22, 2017 11:42 am

MODEL POST!

So much useful information here, superbly described and photographed..

well done Paul..

G
Guy Croft, owner