Lancia Stratos with 2.0L 8V rolling chassis

Post pics of your car in here
Paul_Eustace

Lancia Stratos with 2.0L 8V rolling chassis

Post by Paul_Eustace »

I have previously completely assembled my Stratos and recently stripped it to the bare chassis for painting.
The Lancia Beta 2.0L 8V engine is with Guy and is in a reasonably advanced state of preparation.
My Stratos will be used as a road and track day car.
I am arranging for OJZ Engineering to build me an exhaust system and intend to build a close ratio gearbox. My thanks to Alan Cooper and Dave Larcombe for providing me with a crankshaft and engine parts.
I have been asked to include some history on this car.
It is one of the very first ‘Litton Cars’ Corse replicas purchased by me new in 1989. I ordered the car on 14th July 1989 and collected the chassis and body 26th October 1989. The body parts being variously numbered 1, 2 or 3! I modified the Litton rear suspension to use the improved lower link developed for the Corse S but kept the conventional strut arrangement.
I brought a slightly damaged but not rusty Lancia HPE for the low mileage 2.0litre 8V engine and gearbox.
During the past 23 years have been distracted from completing this car by mainly good opportunities tainted by a few bad experiences but now the time is right to complete it.
As to the engine choice. I believe a tuned Lancia 8V producing circa 180bhp is lighter than the Alfa V6 option producing around 200bhp. The Lancia engine is also attractive as it is very compact and sits nicely in the engine bay allowing relatively easy access to all ancillaries. Combining a Guy Croft tuned 8V Lancia engine with a close ratio gearbox will make a great driving experience with not too much weight to contend with!
May 2013, I have painted the chassis and cockpit white and the cockpit body red. The front & rear suspension is built. I have yet to finish painting the roof white.
12th May 2013 - Now a rolling chassis. I am currently working on preparing gearchange, handbrake, engine mounting and rear body workprior for etch, prime and top coat next week.
I will post further photographs over the coming weeks as the project advances.
Attachments
Stratos - 8V Lancia engine bay.  2K Primer over Acid Etch base coat.
Stratos - 8V Lancia engine bay. 2K Primer over Acid Etch base coat.
Stratos body primer02.jpg (57.16 KiB) Viewed 39577 times
Front bulkhead with rectangular slot for Tilton pedal assembly, larger hole for heater and round hole for steering column.
Front bulkhead with rectangular slot for Tilton pedal assembly, larger hole for heater and round hole for steering column.
Stratos body primer05.jpg (50.5 KiB) Viewed 39577 times
Stratos front suspension
Stratos front suspension
Stratos front suspension1.jpg (49.59 KiB) Viewed 39311 times
Stratos lower body in red, white roof is next
Stratos lower body in red, white roof is next
Stratos body red paintwork.jpg (52.25 KiB) Viewed 39311 times
Stratos rolling chassis1
Stratos rolling chassis1
Stratos rolling chassis1 paintwork.jpg (48.04 KiB) Viewed 39290 times
Stratos rolling chassis2
Stratos rolling chassis2
Stratos rolling chassis2 paintwork.jpg (50.96 KiB) Viewed 39290 times
Stratos rolling chassis3
Stratos rolling chassis3
Stratos rolling chassis3 paintwork.jpg (42.5 KiB) Viewed 39290 times
Stratos rolling chassis4
Stratos rolling chassis4
Stratos rolling chassis4 paintwork.jpg (35.24 KiB) Viewed 39290 times
Last edited by Anonymous on May 12th, 2013, 10:05 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Lancia Stratos with 2.0L 8V

Post by Guy Croft »

yummy!

G
Guy Croft, owner
Will01

Post by Will01 »

That does look very nice, i only wish my own shell for my project looked that great.
GC_21
badlyworntoy

Post by badlyworntoy »

Please tell me thats a genuine one?
4v6

Post by 4v6 »

Beautiful indeed, the Stratos always appealed to me, i just love the shape....oh and the V6!
Tony Warren. GC #96.
Paul Eustace

Re: Lancia Stratos with 2.0L 8V rolling chassis

Post by Paul Eustace »

A few weeks ago Lance from OJZ Engineering built this exhaust system which is best described as a work of art. The two in-line 5" silencers are necessary to maintain ground clearance and enable me to meet the track day noise checks. We should soon be running this exhaust system with my 'real' engine which is currently in final build stages with Guy. Once I have proven this system in the car I will sent the headers to Zircotec for ceramic coating.
Paul's OJZ Exhaust2.jpg
Paul's OJZ Exhaust2.jpg (38.13 KiB) Viewed 39045 times
Paul's OJZ Exhaust4.jpg
Paul's OJZ Exhaust4.jpg (42.46 KiB) Viewed 39045 times
Paul's OJZ Exhaust5.jpg
Paul's OJZ Exhaust5.jpg (54.67 KiB) Viewed 39045 times
Attachments
Paul's OJZ Exhaust3.jpg
Paul's OJZ Exhaust3.jpg (44.25 KiB) Viewed 39045 times
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

It'll be a lovely car.

What your pics show is just how tiny the Stratos is -- pretty much Cinquecento size. You don't really get a true impression of the scale without standing next to one or looking at the diagrams.

Apropos of which, I'm always surprised that no one fits the 16v Lampredi Turbo engine (early Fiat coupe) -- a fair few Integrale owners have acquired one, just in case. Or Toyota's magnificent 2 litre turbo mill as fitted to the MR2 Mk2: 225 - 240bhp out of the crate and, with the stock turbo, throttle response which matches many n/a cars. Or Volvo's brutal T5 with a soundtrack to die for.

My long term project is a Cinquecento with a Toyota turbo engine, mid mounted. I have the parts, just have to clear the remaining jobs and get down to it.
GC_06
CobraElite

Post by CobraElite »

Looks great! looking forward to seeing the progress you make on this. Please take lots of pictures.
Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace »

The paintwork has progressed over the past few weeks and here are some example shots. Only the rear bodywork, which currently has high build primer and surfacer, remains to be painted red & white now!
Attachments
I am hoping my wife does not find this in the spare bedroom!
I am hoping my wife does not find this in the spare bedroom!
Red front.jpg (19.57 KiB) Viewed 38932 times
Painted these tonight.  Very pleased with the finish.  Will lacquer soon.
Painted these tonight. Very pleased with the finish. Will lacquer soon.
Red boot lid and doors.jpg (27.38 KiB) Viewed 38932 times
The top corner of the doors will be painted white.
The top corner of the doors will be painted white.
Red door.jpg (23.41 KiB) Viewed 38932 times
Red doors.jpg
Red doors.jpg (25.64 KiB) Viewed 38932 times
Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace »

Rear bodywork painted red this evening.
Attachments
The masked area at the top will soon be painted white.
The masked area at the top will soon be painted white.
Red rear bodywork.jpg (26.75 KiB) Viewed 38891 times
Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace »

Here is the last of the red and white paintwork. The installation of the fuel tanks, fuel pump and accusump plus preparation for painting the underneath of the body.
Attachments
Rear bodywork parked in my daughter's bedroom whilst she is on holiday!
Rear bodywork parked in my daughter's bedroom whilst she is on holiday!
Red & White rear body work.jpg (26.21 KiB) Viewed 39293 times
final paintwork to the doors
final paintwork to the doors
Red & White door paintwork.jpg (24.67 KiB) Viewed 39293 times
In the workshop.
In the workshop.
White paintwork rear bodywork and doors.jpg (29.72 KiB) Viewed 39293 times
Fuel tanks installed
Fuel tanks installed
Fuel tanks.jpg (27.05 KiB) Viewed 39293 times
Fuel pump installed
Fuel pump installed
Fuel pump.jpg (26.94 KiB) Viewed 39293 times
Accusump installed with solenoid in position awaiting oil lines and RFH will go here once I have welded a mounting bracket onto the chassis upright.
Accusump installed with solenoid in position awaiting oil lines and RFH will go here once I have welded a mounting bracket onto the chassis upright.
Accusump RFH.jpg (27.54 KiB) Viewed 39293 times
Aluminium bottom will be prepared with wet & dry plus synthetic wire wool, etch coated, a couple of coats of primer surfacer and then colour and lacquer.  Before I start I will engineer some props for the chassis or perhaps the wheels.
Aluminium bottom will be prepared with wet & dry plus synthetic wire wool, etch coated, a couple of coats of primer surfacer and then colour and lacquer. Before I start I will engineer some props for the chassis or perhaps the wheels.
Preparation to paint bottom.jpg (30.29 KiB) Viewed 39293 times
fingers99

Post by fingers99 »

Depending on use, perhaps something a bit tougher for the undertray, epoxy mastic, maybe?

Just that as soon as the etch primer is penetrated (stone chips, etc), it'll start to corrode and will need stripping back and..........
GC_06
Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace »

Good points regarding the use of underseal or similar. I do intend to coat the 'exposed' areas of the floor and wheel arches with a epoxy based underseal.
Below are photographs of last weeks progress painting the bottom with etch primer, primer (surfacer) and top coat black.
Attachments
Acid Etch #8
Acid Etch #8
Bottom - Etch Primer.jpg (31.66 KiB) Viewed 39118 times
2K Surfacer
2K Surfacer
Bottom - Primer.jpg (31.14 KiB) Viewed 39118 times
2K Gloss Black with lacquer and epoxy underseal to follow.
2K Gloss Black with lacquer and epoxy underseal to follow.
Bottom - Black.jpg (26.05 KiB) Viewed 39118 times
The headlamp motor brackets, door handle brackets and a few other brackets receive the same treatment.
The headlamp motor brackets, door handle brackets and a few other brackets receive the same treatment.
Headlamp motor brackets.jpg (20.51 KiB) Viewed 39118 times
Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace »

Paintwork is now completed and the rebuild is well underway. I am about to install the wiring loom. The photographs below show the radiator, pedal assembly, windscreen wiper, heater and ventilation, gear change, handbrake, modified right hand fuel tank to enable me to install an airbox, accusump and remote oil filter housing.
I am about to purchase heat insulation for the coolant and heater pipes in the cockpit and silicone hoses for the radiator and heater.
Heater, pedal assembly, gear change and handbrake.JPG
Heater, pedal assembly, gear change and handbrake.JPG (39.31 KiB) Viewed 38539 times
Attachments
Master cylinders, heater, radiator and air intake.JPG
Master cylinders, heater, radiator and air intake.JPG (44.55 KiB) Viewed 38539 times
Note modification to RH fuel tank to accommodate air box
Note modification to RH fuel tank to accommodate air box
Fuel tanks, accusump and remote oil filter.JPG (45.6 KiB) Viewed 38539 times
Paul Eustace

Post by Paul Eustace »

54mm caliper and ventilated disc
54mm caliper and ventilated disc
Front brake1.jpg (9.12 KiB) Viewed 38479 times
January 2014 progress update:
Front brake solution arrived at with ventilated discs. I am currently modifying the caliper hangers to space the calipers correctly.
Rear brakes are original Lancia Beta using the original handbrake mechanism.
I fabricated a bracket mounted on the differential to hold the speedometer sensor.
Oil lines have arrived from Think Automotive and I am really pleased with these. Photograph below shows the remote filter housing with oil line to the Accusump oil solenoid.
The body work is finished.
I have replaced the brake light switch with a pressure operated switch as mounting a switch on the Tilton pedal assembly was too difficult!
I have a Momo steering wheel with a quick detach mounting.
All the wiring is complete.
I have changed the front indicators to daytime running lights with integral indicators. The headlamp pods are also complete.
I hope to complete the caliper hanger modification soon and then bleed the braking system.
The final coolant silicone hoses are in the post from Think Automotive. Once I have these I can achieve the final positioning of the through car coolant pipework and complete the plumbing of the radiator hoses.
I have a few brackets to paint.
I also have to connect a battery and retest the electrical system.
End of January 2014 update.
Attachments
R6 oil lines from Think Automotive
R6 oil lines from Think Automotive
Oil lines1.jpg (9.76 KiB) Viewed 38479 times
Lancia Beta rear brake with handbrake mechanism
Lancia Beta rear brake with handbrake mechanism
Rear brake.jpg (11.19 KiB) Viewed 38479 times
Speedo sensor bracket mounted on the diff.
Speedo sensor bracket mounted on the diff.
Speedo Sensor Bracket.jpg (9.04 KiB) Viewed 38479 times
Stratos front view.jpg
Stratos front view.jpg (9.59 KiB) Viewed 38479 times
Stratos rear view.jpg
Stratos rear view.jpg (12.55 KiB) Viewed 38479 times