Lancia Delta 1.6 HF Turbo ie hillclimb...

Post pics of your car in here
Infectus-Guy

Lancia Delta 1.6 HF Turbo ie hillclimb...

Post by Infectus-Guy »

I thought it was about time i posted something about the hillclimb car i'm building. I have LOADS of project photos on another forum which would take hours to downsize and upload here, so i thought i'd just post photos of the engine build. As much as i'd have loved to, I won't be spending the money on race rods and pistons but I will none the less try and build it to a high a standard as practicable.

So here is the starting point, a 1.6 turbo i.e. block stripped of its ancillaries and head removed-
RaceEngine01.jpg
RaceEngine01.jpg (118.96 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
No fancy wash machines here, just a Jizer spray bottle, a couple of old tooth brushes and tentative but surprisingly willing assistant (the missus!). A bit of elbow grease later and we're getting there-
RaceEngine02.jpg
RaceEngine02.jpg (130.49 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
RaceEngine10.jpg
RaceEngine10.jpg (123.35 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
I always like to keep it covered up-
RaceEngine03.jpg
RaceEngine03.jpg (68.9 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
With all the ancillaries kept in one place-
RaceEngine04.jpg
RaceEngine04.jpg (122.48 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
My lovely assistant on the case again (at the cost of me buying dinner out!) removing the oil pump-
RaceEngine05.jpg
RaceEngine05.jpg (119.48 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
The engine turned over and ready to remove the mains caps. I didn't realise how tight these were, even with my weight balanced on top and the missus swinging on the breaker bar we were still just spinning on the work-mate-
RaceEngine07.jpg
RaceEngine07.jpg (107.99 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
Time to get the gun out, cue comedy bond-girl pose!-
RaceEngine08.jpg
RaceEngine08.jpg (85.65 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
With the core plugs removed I gave the water galleries a brush and blast, then poured a couple of kettles of boiling water over it and sat the block in front of the space heater to make sure it dried properly-
RaceEngine11.jpg
RaceEngine11.jpg (108.09 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
Then it got a session from the brush drill/grinder before hammerite red oxide primer and two layers of top coat-
RaceEngine12.jpg
RaceEngine12.jpg (113.36 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
RaceEngine13.jpg
RaceEngine13.jpg (114.6 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
RaceEngine23.jpg
RaceEngine23.jpg (106.16 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
Now its time to hone those bores. Bit of a step at the top, the engine has done about 75k but for this project i can live with it-
RaceEngine21.jpg
RaceEngine21.jpg (80.23 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
RaceEngine22.jpg
RaceEngine22.jpg (58.26 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
The rods/pistons removed and ready for splitting and cleaning-
RaceEngine17.jpg
RaceEngine17.jpg (103.37 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
RaceEngine19.jpg
RaceEngine19.jpg (86.78 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
RaceEngine20.jpg
RaceEngine20.jpg (111.03 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
Now on to balancing the rods. I started by making a stand with a bearing'd swing arm to hold the small end and then made an L shaped stand with 2 small bearings which holds the big end and sits on the scale. Then it was a case of linishing the caps to match the big end weights to the lightest one, then weighing the whole rod on the scale and matching the weights by removing metal from the small end-
RaceEngine24.jpg
RaceEngine24.jpg (79.76 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
RaceEngine25.jpg
RaceEngine25.jpg (81.84 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
Onto the head - I never did seem to get that pesky exhaust cam thrust plate to stop leaking, so it was time for drastic action. They are designed for a specific thickness of gasket (about 25 thou if i remember correctly) which are getting hard to get hold of, i finished off Tanc Barratts stock a couple of years ago. If you use no gasket or too thin a gasket like I did a couple of years ago (almost had valve/piston contact!) you can lock or at least restrict the cam from rotating-
RaceEngine26.jpg
RaceEngine26.jpg (90.35 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
So I turned down a thrust face (23 thou deep) and i'm going to use a liquid sealant. I've trial fitted it with no sealant and its given 7 thou end float, Guy recommends 3 to 9 thou so even if sealant spaces me out another 1 thou i can live with that-
RaceEngine27.jpg
RaceEngine27.jpg (74.17 KiB) Viewed 10912 times
More coming soon.
Guy
GC book #182
Infectus-Guy

Re: Lancia Delta 1.6 HF Turbo ie hillclimb...

Post by Infectus-Guy »

I thought at this point i'd introduce you to the flywheel. I think i'm right in saying that at 5.55kg it seems fairly light compared to integrale etc-
RaceEngine90.jpg
RaceEngine90.jpg (81.15 KiB) Viewed 10890 times
I've measured its thickness across the face, measurements in inches-
RaceEngine91.jpg
RaceEngine91.jpg (80.82 KiB) Viewed 10890 times
RaceEngine91.jpg
RaceEngine91.jpg (80.82 KiB) Viewed 10890 times
Before I get it balanced with the crank, I need to get it refaced but if possible i'd like to lighten it whilst i'm there. Looking at the figures can anyone suggest if I can safely take any meat off?
Guy
Attachments
RaceEngine92.jpg
RaceEngine92.jpg (88.57 KiB) Viewed 10890 times
GC book #182
TomLouwrier

Post by TomLouwrier »

hi Guy,

That's a very nice assistant you have there, and the engine ain't bad either! :-)

Your flywheel looks pretty much lightened already, could it be someone was at it before?
There is some written both on the site and in Guy's book about taking off material, including some useful pictures. As far as I can see in pictures 91 and 92 you have thicknesses in the 0,4" region, that's near 10mm. You really must not go thinner than that on cast iron flywheels.

Make sure you read this: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1851

regards
Tom
Last edited by TomLouwrier on April 10th, 2012, 4:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
GC_29
Infectus-Guy

Post by Infectus-Guy »

Heh she's doesn't mind getting stuck in if there's a reward, gotta get the girls involved! (even if it does mean bribery!) yes i read in the book i think that 10mm is the thinnest you can go. Its a totally standard flywheel and just like the other 1.6 ie items i've got, i might have let a secret out of the bag there! I was thinking i might be able to take that outer radius further out, lose some weight where it counts the most. Any input on this is most welcome as i'm kind of floating in limbo at the moment.
Guy
GC book #182
TomLouwrier

Post by TomLouwrier »

Just added something important to my previous post:
Make sure you read this: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1851

Tom
GC_29
Infectus-Guy

Post by Infectus-Guy »

Thanks Tom, i forgot about NDTing it. Luckily I have an NDT department at my disposal that use UV penetrant die, so any cracks will show up no problem. Thanks for reminding me!
Guy
GC book #182
Urbancamo

Post by Urbancamo »

Hi there! Always nice to have extra hands in projects =)

Comparing to stock TC flywheel, this flywheel is very light allready. I wouldn't go any lighter. Outer egde is nicely radiused. There has to be some "meat" to hold starter ring gear in place.

If your starter ring gear is badly "grinded", now it's time to turn it upside down.

And oh, I've always refaced my cast flywheels in a big lathe. Even they have been pretty bad mirror finish on them, basic cutter has done the job easily. But I'm not a machinist, so I don't do these my self. I just watch when professionals do the job.

-T
GC_25
Infectus-Guy

Post by Infectus-Guy »

Urbancamo wrote: I wouldn't go any lighter. Outer egde is nicely radiused. There has to be some "meat" to hold starter ring gear in place.
yes I started to think this after i posted the photos. I had thought about the possibility of turning down the face with a carbide radius tip tool, but i think it might try and "jump" over hard hot-spots. I think i'll stick with grinding.
Guy
GC book #182
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Don't lighten that 1.6 FW any more than it has been by Lancia themselves - it is near optimal considering it's made of cast-iron.

Survey the friction face region for flatness and parallelism to the mounting flange and if more than a couple of thou" out of true get it ground flat (which is the only effective way to do it really) and reproduce the 20thou" step after to correct diameter.

After these ops it must be balanced with the crank. This is necessary whenever metal removal is undertaken.

G
Infectus-Guy

Post by Infectus-Guy »

Thanks Guy. I guess i may as well get it ground now as i'm getting the crank balanced anyway.
Thanks for everyone's input, it'll be going in for NDT soon so i'll see if its a good one.
Guy
GC book #182
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

If they use Magnetic particle method make sure they demagnetise it after.

G
Infectus-Guy

Post by Infectus-Guy »

Guy Croft wrote:If they use Magnetic particle method make sure they demagnetise it after.

G
Although we have that facility, they just used UV penetrant and checked it in a UV light booth. Luckily the chap who did it for me has done cranks before and seen some horrible cracking. He knows what a bad one looks like and gave my crank and flywheel the all-clear. The flywheel is in the local race engine shop having its face ground, then i'm going to go along next week and watch them balance the crank. I've never seen it being done so now would be the perfect opportunity. I've key-holed the crank and actually polished the holes with a large thin scotch wheel, which gave a finish i am happy with. After that it got a good blast in the hot-wash with the flywheel, then a coat of Vinabrite dewatering spray. Plenty more photos coming soon!
Guy
GC book #182