Triumph Spitfire Volumex .

Post pics of your car in here
TS131Volumex

Triumph Spitfire Volumex .

Post by TS131Volumex »

Hello all ,
I said a while back that I would show a neat little conversion kit produced by a New Zealand company that I managed to get hold of a few months ago , perhaps luckily , as I heard a rumour the following day that this company had sadly suffered badly in the earthquake .
This kit allows a Subaru , or more accurately ' Fujji Heavy Industries ' diff to be directly fitted into a Triumph Spitfire/GT6 .
I mistakingly purchased a new r180 3.54:1 version of this LSD at a very low price £ 210.00 ( list price of Subaru LSD diffs being about £1500.00 ) which to my horror I found to be identical but a cm narrower and a cm lower than the r160 version I needed , its a painfull process ! However this week I managed to find a new , still boxed r160 LSD diff in a 4.11:1 version , which is the ratio Kevin the original builder had intended for this car , even this was a good price at £400.00 .
I have allready converted the car from its original Spitfire swing spring rear suspension set up to a coil over CV conversion with a Quaiffe LSD fitted to an alloy housed 3.6 Triumph diff .
However the car is still on Triumph GT6 hubs and drums and Triumph crown wheel and pinion so I have collected together these parts for a still improved rear end set up .
Despite the car being front engined and therefore more dependent on the front brakes ( currently four pot Willwoods ) it is
a). not as efficient as MGTF discs with Mintex 1144 pads .
b). The MGTF hubs and bearings are not as failure prone as the Triumph version .
c) The Triumph diff internals were designed for maximum of about 105 bhp and allthough the 3.6 version as fitted was the strongest version on offer I want a bullet proof replacement as back up .
The pictures show a reminder of the car in question followed by the NZ kit and then a picture of the Subaru/MGTF bits I have collected .
I am trying to keep everything genuine manufacturers parts and whherever possible all new , suprisingly uneasy with even the not so distant MGTF parts .
The two parts I will need to have altered/manufactured are ;
a) The hubs are similar but not identical so the MGTF versions will need ' moding ' .
b) I will have to have drive shafts made up to link the inner Subaru and outer MGTF CV's .
The only disadvantage of this set up is that I have alloy versions of the Triumph hub/uprights but these are not available in the MGTF's so a bit more weight .
This is turning into a very long build due to financial constraints to the point that I can see it being finaly on the road in the hands of my Grandson so I hope Guy is not only building engines but also working on a comparable ' ELIXIR OF LIFE '
Attachments
Just a reminder of the car in question ..jpg
Just a reminder of the car in question ..jpg (53.74 KiB) Viewed 9903 times
ditto.jpg
ditto.jpg (67.92 KiB) Viewed 9903 times
ditto 2.jpg
ditto 2.jpg (53.6 KiB) Viewed 9903 times
existing quaiffe cv set up.jpg
existing quaiffe cv set up.jpg (53.75 KiB) Viewed 9903 times
NZ fitting kit.jpg
NZ fitting kit.jpg (45.22 KiB) Viewed 9903 times
Triumph 4.11 diff in forground ,Subaru 4.11 behind ..jpg
Triumph 4.11 diff in forground ,Subaru 4.11 behind ..jpg (36.52 KiB) Viewed 9903 times
kit fitting.jpg
kit fitting.jpg (39.17 KiB) Viewed 9903 times
kit fitting 2 ..jpg
kit fitting 2 ..jpg (37.89 KiB) Viewed 9903 times
3000 mile Subaru shafts ..jpg
3000 mile Subaru shafts ..jpg (32.06 KiB) Viewed 9903 times
Subaru-MGTF conversion.jpg
Subaru-MGTF conversion.jpg (46.18 KiB) Viewed 9903 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Re: Triumph Spitfire Volumex .

Post by Guy Croft »

with all the non-Spitfire parts on that car I hope you are compiling a workshop manual for it that indicates the origin of all the bits should replacements be needed!!

G
TS131Volumex

Post by TS131Volumex »

Indeed . Of course , it is just the result of trying to provide your ' patient ' engine with the best quality playmates whilst leaving the car visibly ' all Triumph ' .
TS131Volumex

Post by TS131Volumex »

My converted MGF VL's and redesigned wishbones should be completed tomorow .
rsz_810.jpg
rsz_810.jpg (129.9 KiB) Viewed 9086 times
rsz_830.jpg
rsz_830.jpg (177.85 KiB) Viewed 9086 times
022.JPG
022.JPG (112.29 KiB) Viewed 9086 times
023.JPG
023.JPG (103.45 KiB) Viewed 9086 times
I am NO engineer so the wishbone is some what OVER engineered to reduce paranoia .
Both the top and bottom of the MGF Vertical links were cut off and a new section created to mate with the Spitfire . I shall take some better pics tomorow and add further details .
Attachments
rsz_813.jpg
rsz_813.jpg (79.55 KiB) Viewed 9086 times