Lancia Montecarlo - Megasquirt Fuel injection

Post pics of your car in here
LanciaNut69

Lancia Montecarlo - Megasquirt Fuel injection

Post by LanciaNut69 »

Hi everyone,

I’ve been lurking here for a bit now and have finally got myself organised to a point where I have detailed my car. All I need to do now is to sort out some pictures..

Brief history – after being a Beta Coupe owner I stumbled across the Montecarlo, abandoned in a garage. It had no engine, gearbox, front wings, bonnet, or interior and had bits cut out of other panels. I spent a long time restoring the car on and off over a number of years and finally got it back on the road in 2008.

I rebuilt the engine having had work done and parts sourced by a local firm. The engine spec was as follows

Block was rebored and oversize, high compression pistons sourced.

Flywheel was lightened and balanced to the crank – I have since found out it did not have the oilways drilled and cleaned out – a job for the next rebuild.

Standard cams were retained. Head had some work done to it but standard valve sizes were kept, and new valves were fitted. New bearings and gaskets throughout. I built up the engine in around 1996 (using the Haynes book) and it was fitted to the car, where it remained for the next 10 years! When I started the final phase of getting the car back on the road in time for the 2008 Classic Le Mans, I removed the engine and stripped it to inspect it ready for actually being run.

By this time I had made the acquaintance of Guy and spent a fair amount of time on the phone asking advice. The engine was rebuilt (this time with Guy’s original book as a reference guide) with the Aux drive modification done myself and with Guy’s encouragement. The engine was fitted with a pair of DCNFs (40s) and an Alquatti manifold, which I had rebuilt with overhaul kits. However, time was running out and I was unable to get the car running well enough so the standard DATR carb was fitted on a standard manifold before it went off for the MOT. Unfortunately there was insufficient time to get the car to a rolling road before heading off to France.

The Monte ran faultlessly to Le Mans and back again, and I enjoyed finally driving a car that I’d been working on and off on for well over ten years! As is usual for me, I was very quickly looking at doing something different and rather than refitting the DCNFs, decided to fit fuel injection instead.

I wanted to be able to say that I’d done as much of the work myself as possible and on a budget, so I plumped for the Megasquirt management system and motorcycle fuel injection throttle bodies. I had originally intended this project being completed over the winter, together with the addition of a remote oil filter and oil cooler install but as with most projects of this type, the job took slightly longer than anticipated to complete.

The new engine spec is as follows:

Block was left unchanged from initial build

Oil pump was fitted with modification to relief spring

Head was changed to a 130TC unit for larger valves. It is of unknown origin, but has had some work done to enlarge the ports to match the inlet gasket. I rebuilt the head with new seals and gaskets, after lapping the valves. Valves are standard with no modification and seats have not been 3 angle cut.

GC3A inlet cam fitted in a Delta cam box so removing the need to make up a distributor bung. Good quality standard exhaust cam fitted. Guy Croft cambox gaskets fitted, along with Spesso head gasket. Adjustable cam pullies fitted.

Exhaust is a CSC manifold and stainless system built by PD Gough on an Ansa pattern, but a straight through backbox.

Inlet manifold was locally fabricated and matched to inlet ports.

Suzuki GSXr K2 750cc Fuel Injection throttle bodies were respaced to Lancia pattern by turning spacers and welding a plate. Choke butterflies were removed and holes plugged. Fuel rail was retained, together with injectors, throttle linkage, TPS and injector loom. Mounting to manifold is by fuel resistant silicon hose

High pressure fuel pump and custom swirl pot were added to the existing low pressure fuel system, and a regulator added to the end of the fuel rail.

Distributor was removed in favour of an EDIS 4 wasted spark system.

Crank pulley was replaced in favour of a lightweight version with integral triggerwheel. Crank sensor supplied was replaced with a Fiat Panda Hall Sensor, which works with the Megasquirt system

LC-1 Wideband sensor with AFR gauge

Delta water temperature sender replaced high temp cutoff switch in head.

Air temp sensor fitted to Backplate on throttle bodies

Megasquirt II ECU bought in kit form from the States and assembled with great care, and purpose built loom made to incorporate new injection system, which entirely replaces standard rear loom. This was built using modern thinwall cable and has a new distribution/relay box.

Initial problems that prevented running – these are gotcha’s for anyone attempting the same and could well get me kicked off here for being a complete idiot, but rather than do these things yourself – learn from my mistakes!

1. If changing to adjustable cam pulleys – either change them as soon as you remove the originals and carefully inspect them to ensure the right wheel goes on the right side, or time the cam and fit the wheel, ensuring the marks line up. DO NOT assume you have them fitted correctly without checking. The car may well run with the cams so far out of time, but it will sound like a tractor. I have a youtube film of this. Unbelievably, after a strip and check, no contact was made and the head was rebuilt. (This was on standard cams – I can’t confirm if the same would happen with GC cams fitted, but I don’t advise it).
2. If fitting a triggerwheel, do not assume that it has been fitted in the correct place. Mine was 22 degrees out – possibly due to a mix up in explaining sensor mounting points.

I was so lucky that both of these major faux pas’ did not result in the destruction of my engine. Rectifying them and using a map that was built using the information in MS’s MegaManual meant the car started on the button.

After a fair time of messing around, trying to get the tuning right, I took it to a local rolling road, who were prepared to work on the car with a Megasquirt system and it has been running well ever since. There are a number of issues that are holding the car back, namely the lack of airbox and cold air to the throttle bodies, but at least it is back on the road – for now. I am now looking to change the throttle bodies for a plenum set up and will post up in the relevant forum.

For those interested, the additional modifications to the car are as follows:

Wheels – Integrale 6x15” (18mm hubcentric spacers used)

Brakes – Hi-Spec Billet 4 pot calipers all round, rear with integral handbrake using 284 vented discs on each corner. Adjustable bias valve to rear wheels. New and larger reservoir fitted. New brake master cylinder and pedal conversion to 037 type, with better piston action. All new brake lines, connectors and braided hoses to calipers.

Suspension – all rubber bushes replaced with uprated items throughout, including top mounts. Uprated +20% and lowered 25mm springs. Shock absorbers are currently standard but in good condition.

Bodywork – poor quality fibreglass front bumper with integral spoiler (on my list of things to do to improve upon), rear poor quality 037 style bumper, which does need alteration to fit properly (again on the list of things to do). Rear lights are Opel GT/Series A Manta units mounted in ABS plastic sheet.

Plans for the future – continued development of the car. I am a huge fan of what others have achieved with their Montes both home and abroad, as well as a lot of the contributors to this site – very inspiring!

Photos to follow – thanks for reading.

All the best

Darren
Book #435
LanciaNut69

Re: Lancia Montecarlo - Megasquirt Fuel injection

Post by LanciaNut69 »

Pics as promised up to first time on the road - MS install onwards to follow.

Darren
Attachments
Stripped
Stripped
1.jpg (61.94 KiB) Viewed 9422 times
Wings fitted
Wings fitted
10.jpg (80.05 KiB) Viewed 9422 times
Returned from sandblasting
Returned from sandblasting
14.jpg (35.65 KiB) Viewed 9422 times
Sprayshop
Sprayshop
15.jpg (52.73 KiB) Viewed 9422 times
Wheel before
Wheel before
19.jpg (75.18 KiB) Viewed 9422 times
Wheel after
Wheel after
20.jpg (66.29 KiB) Viewed 9422 times
Sound insulation
Sound insulation
21.jpg (85.26 KiB) Viewed 9422 times
Original DCNF installation
Original DCNF installation
25.jpg (92.21 KiB) Viewed 9422 times
2008 ready to go to Le Mans
2008 ready to go to Le Mans
27.jpg (92.27 KiB) Viewed 9422 times
2008 from the front
2008 from the front
28.jpg (90.88 KiB) Viewed 9422 times
Book #435
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

MODEL POST!

An excellent resume - thanks and well done for crafting it so comprehensively in a readable style.

I would make the point that you should always time up the cams when using adjustable camwheels. That means choosing the full-lift posn of both cams before you start. You might want to copy the setting used on the original engine (tends to be inlet FL 110 ATDC and ex FL 110 deg BTDC) but that may not be optimal. You can mark up the cam positions where they will be at TDC using the old cam pulleys but given the accuracy that adj pulleys enable, much better to set the cams up with protractor and dti.

G
Attachments
always best done with head off and built up as shown, here finding FL on the inlet cam. The cam nose gives a certain amount of dwell at FL you have to find the centerline of the lobe - true FL.
always best done with head off and built up as shown, here finding FL on the inlet cam. The cam nose gives a certain amount of dwell at FL you have to find the centerline of the lobe - true FL.
AD cam timing_finding true FL with protractor and dti.jpg (113.66 KiB) Viewed 9411 times
once you've got true FL you turn the  cams to the position they will be at TDC, the inlet is opening (lift @ TDC as shown in this particular example) and the exhaust is closing. They will be the positions you leave the cams at when bolting down the head.
once you've got true FL you turn the cams to the position they will be at TDC, the inlet is opening (lift @ TDC as shown in this particular example) and the exhaust is closing. They will be the positions you leave the cams at when bolting down the head.
AD cam timing inlet LATDC.jpg (50.08 KiB) Viewed 9411 times
LanciaNut69

Post by LanciaNut69 »

Thank you Guy, much appreciated.

I did exactly as you suggested when I rebuilt the head and was very careful to time up the cams properly using a dti and protractor, having first found full lift.

I've got the next set of pics reading to upload, so should have those for your perusal later this afternoon.

Regards

Darren
Book #435
LanciaNut69

Post by LanciaNut69 »

Next batch of pictures - Fuel Injection

Regards

Darren
Attachments
Suzuki GSXr 750 K2 Fuel Injection bodies, complete with tps, fuel rail, and linkage
Suzuki GSXr 750 K2 Fuel Injection bodies, complete with tps, fuel rail, and linkage
30.jpg (74.04 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
Loom and TPS removed ready to be integrated into new rear loom
Loom and TPS removed ready to be integrated into new rear loom
29.jpg (76.72 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
Choke butterflies
Choke butterflies
31.jpg (78.56 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
Choke butterflies removed
Choke butterflies removed
32.jpg (75.54 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
Fabricated inlet manifold and ports matched to inlet gasket
Fabricated inlet manifold and ports matched to inlet gasket
34.jpg (50.7 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
New Megasquirt distribution box
New Megasquirt distribution box
35.jpg (62.7 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
Throttle bodies respaced and ready for alteration to mounts, rail and linkage.  The trumpet is actually made from an egg cup - something I was playing with
Throttle bodies respaced and ready for alteration to mounts, rail and linkage. The trumpet is actually made from an egg cup - something I was playing with
37.jpg (64.28 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
Bit of a jump, but engine installed, together with oil cooler, loom and everything else
Bit of a jump, but engine installed, together with oil cooler, loom and everything else
39.jpg (89.49 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
Alternative view showing the swirl pot, crankcase vent collector, and the engine cover prop in the background
Alternative view showing the swirl pot, crankcase vent collector, and the engine cover prop in the background
40.jpg (83.42 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
ECU position
ECU position
41.jpg (67.68 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
Noseband painted, sidestrip added and Integrale wheels fitted following brake upgrade.
Noseband painted, sidestrip added and Integrale wheels fitted following brake upgrade.
42.jpg (80.29 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
037 style rear bumper
037 style rear bumper
43.jpg (77.84 KiB) Viewed 9406 times
Book #435
mitch strada

Post by mitch strada »

Love the look of this - great project well done :)
LanciaNut69

Post by LanciaNut69 »

mitch strada wrote:Love the look of this - great project well done :)
Thanks Mitch, much appreciated!

Regards

Darren
Book #435
WhizzMan

Post by WhizzMan »

You have me drooling here. Very nice car and very well done build. Do you have any power figures yet?
Book #348
LanciaNut69

Post by LanciaNut69 »

Hi Whizzman,

I will get in touch with the rolling road and see if they still have a print of the graph to post up. Not massive though good torque. Will post up as soon as possible.

Thanks for the compliments by the way, much appreciated!

Darren
Book #435