Sylva Kit Car on Microsquirt and ITBs

Post pics of your car in here
jonathan280

Sylva Kit Car on Microsquirt and ITBs

Post by jonathan280 »

All

I thought you might like some pics of my recently completed Microsquirt/ITB project.

The car is a 1988 Sylva Leader with a Swindon Race Engines 1600cc Twin Cam from a 1976 124.

The car was proving troublesome to keep in tune on twin DellOrtos and mechanical ignition.

A couple of years ago I installed a MegaJolt 3D ignition system, still retaining the carbs, but over winter went the whole hog and fitted an injection system with a MicroSquirt ECU (reduced size and rugedized version of the well known MegaSquirt)

The ITBs are re-spaced Keihins from a Suzuki GSXR 600 fitted to alloy plates that bolt to a DCOE/DHLA manifold.
Injectors, sensors, trumpets and TPS are as fitted to the donor bike.

The Ignition is via a Ford EDIS wasted spark system with a Millers Mule alloy engine pulley/trigger wheel and water pump pulley.

The car was at Surrey Rolling Road last week to finalise the mapping (although I suspect it will never be final) and it made 129bhp at the wheels. More importantly for me, it's a piece of cake to drive even with 300 degree cams.

Best regards..........Jonathan
Attachments
microsquirt 001.jpg
microsquirt 001.jpg (41.1 KiB) Viewed 6095 times
microsquirt 002.jpg
microsquirt 002.jpg (39.66 KiB) Viewed 6095 times
microsquirt 004.jpg
microsquirt 004.jpg (32.53 KiB) Viewed 6095 times
microsquirt 003.jpg
microsquirt 003.jpg (24.22 KiB) Viewed 6095 times
microsquirt 005.jpg
microsquirt 005.jpg (33.59 KiB) Viewed 6095 times
WhizzMan

Re: Sylva Kit Car on Microsquirt and ITBs

Post by WhizzMan »

Nice setup! Have you thought about putting longer trumpets on to move the power band to lower revs, or won't that work?
Book #348
jonathan280

Post by jonathan280 »

Yes good point. If you buy an entire Suzuki airbox from a breaker as I did, it includes 4 very nice rubber trumpets and an inlet air temperature sensor. The good point is that the trumpets have an external groove that makes fitting the air filter backplate very easy, just 4x 48mm holes at the same pitch as the ITBs. The trumpets also come in two lengths, about 30mm and about 50mm, but the standard Suzuki set up is 30mm on cyls 1/4 and 50mm on cyls 2/3. I'm not sure if this is a tuning feature or something that helps with clearance inside the airbox, but this is what's on the car at the moment. I'm in the process of finding another set of trumpets so I can experiment with inlet tract length. The previous set up was very short trumpets on DHLA40s, so ITBs and long trumpets should give me about the same inlet tract.

Best regards........Jonathan
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Looks a nice tidy installation - well done Jonathan!

And the engine output is impressive too.

Can we see the whole car?

G
jonathan280

Post by jonathan280 »

All

Here's the car at the FDMC Dimanche Sprint at Rushmoor Arena over the weekend. 18th fastest overall, 6th in class, and the car was nearly faultless. Just a slight problem with the warm up enrichment setting.

Best regards.........Jonathan
Attachments
Dimanche.JPG
Dimanche.JPG (28.45 KiB) Viewed 5955 times