130 TC budget race car.

Post pics of your car in here
Abarthnorway - Remi L

130 TC budget race car.

Post by Abarthnorway - Remi L »

Hi!

Now about to do the only right thing to my old 130 TC - make a fun track car.
About to be stripped out and converted into a track car. Reason is I am not happy with the bodywork/paintwork performed by people who should now better, and I am not willing to spend another fortune trying to fix it once more.
Economy and especially time is limited, so I will do my best with what I`ve got....

The car will be built to specification to compete in a race series for italian cars more than 15 years old. The series is divided into 5 groups according to engine size, and an estimated power to weight ratio calculated on the degree of engine modifications.

I have begun with the engine:

It will be standard Fiat components only :

130 TC block flexhoned shaved 0.5 mm for a slight compression increase.
130 TC pistons new rings - checked with bores within specs.
Integrale head bolts
Balanced crank/flywheel - modified oilways (supposedly from a Fiat Croma I was told) - Integrale (stronger) drilled big end bearings, main bearings standard
Thinner headgasket
Ported 130 TC head with modified valves and valveseats, Bronce guides, uprated valve springs decked minimum (0.15 mm)
CR 10:1
130 TC cams timed 102in/105ex with tighter clearances
Solex 40 ADDHE Sport carbs (different emulsion tubes and main jets + larger 45 mm barrel from carb mouth to venturi) with slimmed throttle shafts and 32 mm chokes
Jetting 155 main and 190 air.
The original red 45 mm rampipes will be changed for slightly longer 40 mm ram pipes.
Standard airbox
Radiator from Punto GT - bigger area and less weight.
The crank sensor will be adjusted to give 2 degrees more advance than standard on Digiplex.
New oil pump
Facet silver top Petrol pump
Exhaust manifold 130 TC + 2 inch straight tubing + 1 large rear silencer
Clutch uprated organic with stronger clutch cover.

Hopefully this setup will be an competetive engine in the "standard class".

Some pics from engine build:

Flexhoned block

Modified valves

Pistons with new rings

Rod caps polished

Stronger/shorter valve springs

Pistons now protruding slightly above deck height

Cylinder head now mounted on block.

View down inlet tract
GC_45
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Re: 130 TC budget race car.

Hi all!

Just a quick update:

I have been reading Guys new book lately, and have decided to rip the engine apart again for some deburr, a few dimensional checks and change of valve springs to GC triples.

I have also sourced a few parts for the car:

Colotti duo block differential
Big front brake conversion using Fiat Marea 20 v discs (284 mm vented), and Volvo 240 turbo 4 pot calipers.
Compomotive Motorsport wheels 6*15 with correct -60 offset
Toyo 888 R tires - 195/50
Rear aluminium strut brace

The following things are already "in house"

Uno Turbo rear brake disc conversion
Tar*Ox 80`s Tarmac Racing front Springs
Osrav double adjustable dampers front and rear
Lowering leaf spring rear from Middle Barton Garage with extra stiffening layer from Ritmo 85S
Teflon bushes rear track control arms
All new solid brake hoses
New engine/gearbox mounts
Uprated bushes for engine torque bars (std center bush torn to pieces very easily by rough use)
Alquati aluminium oil pan with extra baffles
Helix clutch/pressure plate 7.5" from GC
131 lightened and balanced flywheel GC
Oil catch tank custom
Uno Turbo longer 5th gear conversion
Aluminium front strut brace
Facet Silver top fuel pump GC
2" straight through exhaust
All new steering and front suspension using teflon or polybushes everywhere
Fiat Punto Radiator lower/lighter

Need:

Shorter Final Drive for gearbox from Bacci Romano - as most races are twisty with just a few straights. Aiming for max speed of 170 km/h @6500 rpm on most curcuits. I do not want to spend a fortune on a close ratio gearset at the moment. With this setup I will use only 3- 4- 5th gear with the Uno Turbo 5th gear installed - according to the info I have regarding the tracks. Personally driven the two most used curcuits, the last two are supposed to be quicker...... might have to change back to original final drive ratio for those ---- do not know yet.
Full roll cage
Fuel cell for petrol
Seats
Belts
Perspex windows
Some small welding for chassis strength
Long Carburettor Ram Pipes

And a LOT OF TIME.

Sorry for no pictures at the moment - the car stands dusty in the corner of the garage awaiting better and more fun times.

Remi Lovhoiden
Last edited by Abarthnorway - Remi L on November 27th, 2010, 2:08 am, edited 2 times in total.
GC_45
Abarthnorway - Remi L

This is the visual plan....:

The number 125 is already confirmed - base gray colour is car as it stands right now.

Comments welcome regarding design......

What I really need is time!!

Best regards

Remi Lovhoiden
GC_45
andy97

Post by andy97 »

Good luck with this. I think my old (but well developed) Fiat Uno races in this series.
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Hi Andy!

You are probably right - the UK imported Uno entered this Year, and to my knowledge the new proud owner has already had a race or two. Unfortunately the car has suffered a few technical difficulties this season - but hopefully will come back strong next season....;-)

Best regards

Remi Lovhoiden
GC_45
andy97

Post by andy97 »

Hi Remi

I'm aware of the difficulties. The car had a new engine in it, when I sold it - a 1600 SOHC in a "fast road" state of prep. It had completed 2 or 3 races OK with me before I sold it, including a class win at Oulton park in CSCC Tin Tops (a 40 minute race). Unfortunately I had had several difficulties with the engine builder over a 2 year period (not GC! Sorry Guy, I probably should have asked you to do the work!) and the spec of the engine was unknown to me. I did warn the buyer about this and that the rev gauge was under reading (not having been calibrated). I undertand that the engine has been rebuilt again, this time with some expensive Italian sourced components, along with a Collotti gearbox. I hope it goes well in 2011 because it handled fantastically & was a pocket rocket with my original 1372 engine in it.
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Hi!

I have now begun stripping the car for excess materials - that means everything exept the bare shell.... thats the always the best part, tearing things apart always gives me a sense of satisfaction.

Regarding the engine it will still be standard specifications, but with uprated internals:
Budget race car slowly changes meaning while I am reading GC`s new book. Better do it properly the first time!!

That means:
Cunningham race rods from Guy Croft himself
Guy Croft prepared head
Moroso Accumulator and Mocal 16 row oil cooler

GC 130 TC Head

The basic goodies lined up

More pictures to follow....

Best regards

Remi Lovhoiden
GC_45
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Hi!

Some new bits on its way - I am trying to make the engine as reliable as possible.

Copies of the original 130 TC pistons - forged, lighter and stronger. +0.4 Fiat oversize rings will be used.

Remi Lovhoiden
GC_45
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Hi all!

Its time to choose and overhaul a carb. Originally the 130 TC came fitted with either Solex C40 ADDHE or Weber 40 DCOE - both fitted with 32 venturies. I have always had a facination for the Solex - as I consider it better suited for tuning the engine - that most people consider Solex inferior to the Weber is just a bonus:-)

Considering the increased flow of the head at full valve lift 32 mm venturi seems a bit too small.

so:

1) increasing the airflow through the carb
2) get it to deliver the right amount of fuel

I will be trying to compare the carbs as the air sees it from the airbox side:
Comparison Weber vs Solex:

Air horns:
Air horns: The red plastic one is Solex, the steel one is  Weber
Air horns: The red plastic one is Solex, the steel one is Weber
DSC_2640.jpg (111.65 KiB) Viewed 19015 times
Seen from the backside
Seen from the backside
DSC_2647.jpg (153.07 KiB) Viewed 19015 times
Radius into the rampipe seen from the airbox end compared. A generous radius minimizes entry losses I have read somewhere......
Radius into the rampipe seen from the airbox end compared. A generous radius minimizes entry losses I have read somewhere......
DSC_2643.jpg (126.8 KiB) Viewed 19015 times
This is the en of the rampipe as it enters the carb - see the difference in size!!
This is the en of the rampipe as it enters the carb - see the difference in size!!
DSC_2650.jpg (130.95 KiB) Viewed 19015 times
Here we can clearly see that the Solex ram pipe has a much bigger size as it enters the carb - actually 45 mm vs the Webers 40 mm. Lets dive in further:

Auxilary venturi:
Yes it is right - Weber is the small one with lumpy arms - not only the fuel delivery arm is big but also the supporting arm is huge.
Yes it is right - Weber is the small one with lumpy arms - not only the fuel delivery arm is big but also the supporting arm is huge.
DSC_2646.jpg (125.29 KiB) Viewed 19015 times
The diameter of the Weber aux. venturi is actually tapering down to 37.5 mm at the smallest, while the Solex keeps a healthy 45 mm all the way. In addition to that the arms holding the venturi in the Weber is more bulky in size, not a good thing I have understood - wont help flow. For information - In Dellorto DHLA the supporting arm is omitted altogether.

Next step chokesize and vakuum signal needed for correct fuel delivery:
36 mm - considered to be a good choice for fast road spec if a bit of top end is desired...
36 mm - considered to be a good choice for fast road spec if a bit of top end is desired...
DSC_2649.jpg (103.48 KiB) Viewed 19015 times
In weber
In weber
DSC_2651.jpg (127.99 KiB) Viewed 19015 times
This is what it looks like in the Weber - I mean if You can see it at all. The difference between aux. venturi and choke diameter is only 0.75 each side - not a good vakuum signal!! No surprise 34 mm is considered the biggest effective size in a Weber 40....

In a Solex
In a Solex
DSC_2652.jpg (127.77 KiB) Viewed 19015 times
Here You can see the 36 mm choke with the Solex. Now You can see the "wing" shape of the venturi clearly - the differece in size is a healthy 4.5 mm each side. Hopefully this will deliver a sufficient vakuum signal to get good throttle response. I have read up a bit on carb flow figures and actually this seems to be approximately right for a carbbody sized 45 mm. 32 mm (as original) is actually too small - a choke size 32 flows better in a 40 body than a 45 body.....

So far so good - I personally consider the Solex a clear winner in this comparison - so if someone wants a set of original Abarth Webers send me a PM.

For the curious I can say that the Abarth Solex is not similar to standard Solex ADDHE. It has different emulsion tubes, main jets and air jets. The carb size is 45 mm all the way to the choke, and it was called "competizione" or something in Italy. The throttle plate is of course 40 mm - but the body can be machined out to make it a true 45 mm carb if new throttle plates are used.

Best regards

Remi Lovhoiden
GC_45
Urbancamo

Post by Urbancamo »

Hi Remi.

Very nice project is all i can say! And with good quality parts inside engine, they will always pay them selves back. I have been watching one TC engined race car project on my country that keeps exploding all time. Some people just don't understand what it takes to build reliable and powerful race engine that lasts years and years of redlining.

That's real nice carb comparison and certainly teached a lot. 40 ADDHE carb is definately something between usual 40 and 45 mm carbs.

Usual reason why people choose Weber or Dellorto instead of Solex is purely for easiness and maybe retail value.
Repair kit for ADDHEs is easily available, but jets, emulsion tubes, chokes etc...not so easily found.
Of course if you have stock engine with stock carbs, then you don't have to mess around with jetting.

Always glad to see carb enthusiasts. It's definately dying heritage nowadays when programmable fuel injections are easily available and pretty low-cost.
When we look maybe 10-15 years ahead, new generation has started their car hobbys and pretty much all information has gone. I've found that even my generation has very little or zero knowlegde of them.

I received my first lesson from basic dual carb adjustments years ago from a guy who has over 20 years of exprecience of them. There isn't better way to learn. That sparked my interest of dual carbs.

Tommi
GC_25
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Hi!

Thanks Tommi - I really consider dual carbs to be magical. Actually I do not understand any other form of fuel delivery....

The engine will be standard dimension components only - as most changes will be given a power penalty in the series - and I do not want to add too much complexity to the build the first season - have to learn to drive as well:-). I am though planning to experiment with cam timing/clearance, ignition adjustments and different chokes, jets and rampipes on the carb during a rolling road session. More energy will be put into reducing the overall weight of the car, and suspension mods.

I just need some more time - business and family seems to consume most these days.

Remi
GC_45
mitch strada

Post by mitch strada »

Great write up and very interesting - thanks for taking the time to do it and share with us.
Regards, Mitch
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Hi!

A lot of parts have arrived during the last months. The most timeconsuming task was to measure and source a cam that had the right 130TC profile (class rule) and distibutor end slot.
Now I finally have 10.03 mm lift campared to the old battered 9.7 of the used sets I have lying about in the garage. A bit of polish and wash and they are good to go.

Abarth cam.jpg
Abarth cam.jpg (166.02 KiB) Viewed 19469 times
Abarth cam slot.jpg
Abarth cam slot.jpg (152.17 KiB) Viewed 19469 times

More to come the next months:-)
GC_45
Abarthnorway - Remi L

Ok.

Long time since last update.

The head version 1 was sold on to be fitted to a 2l 124 coupe with IDF. EngineDynoed to 166@6500.

Decided to run the races with a friend that had a Ritmo with the suspension sorted. All well until the clutch exploded due to a missed gearchange at high speed.....lots of damage to car/gearbox. Engine still fine, but ripped off an "ear" off the block, this was fixed.

Use only proven parts....

http://guy-croft.com/viewtopic.php?f=14 ... 763#p18763

image.jpg
image.jpg (116.77 KiB) Viewed 16703 times
Engine with GC head proved very quick, and coupled with a Colotti diff and shorter final drive it was competetive in its class.

Now its time to build my own car - just got the message the roll cage is ready.
image.jpg
image.jpg (100.85 KiB) Viewed 16703 times
image.jpg
image.jpg (104.49 KiB) Viewed 16703 times
Cage is extended to all suspension towers front/rear - will run around 650 lbs/in front - 1000 lbs/in rear springs.
GC_45
Will01

Post by Will01 »

Looking very good. I like seeing car shells stripped down and being rebuilt. It really does give you a real sense of achievement and feels great to know you have built the car up from scratch(ish). Keep up the good work, definetely looks like it will be great fun to drive.
GC_21