Triumph Spitfire VX .

Post pics of your car in here
TS131Volumex

Triumph Spitfire VX .

Post by TS131Volumex »

How did I miss the idea of ' Readers cars '.
Subject : Car type , then just add to this with future postings , all in one place , makes sense . Sorry folks .
Let me start afresh and Guy please feel free to delete previous postings .

Well this is where I got up to last weekend .
Rich , you were right , JIC's are a pain . However once I obtained a 4 1/2 " stainless steel fine grinder blade made this made the cutting process far easier . I did have to resort to G clamps in addition to the large Record vice with soft jaws in order to engagethe threads as 12 1/2 stone of pressure was not enough ! Is there a trick to it ?
So far things seem to be going together in good order ( reasonably free flowing lines ) but the oil stat , remote filter , oil preasure warning sensor and accusump all need to fit between the pump and Laminova , not only them but also two Jiffy-Tite dry break couplings . Nothing like a challenge .
I did manage to fit an additional Canton filter in between the sump outlet and pump scavenge inlet , overkill perhaps ?
My dry sump tank is now sitting in the passengers footwell freeing up space under the bonnet . Debra will be pleased on colder days but prehaps not on an Italian tour .
I spent 15 mins cutting out a rough template for a susspension strut but not being an engineer have no idea whether if this was to be cut out of say 15/20 mm thick high grade alluminium if it would be up to the job , I might also add extensions from either end of this forward to the front chassis rails . ???
It has become clear that the distributor is a shade to close to the bonnet to avoid a minimal side extension to the existing GT6 bulge , hence the additional cut out .
Do they make a pressurized rad cap for my swirl pot with a cap seal above the sprung seal ,Think Autos dont keep them , for this would then push the expanded water/air into the expansion tank at say 15 p.s.i instead of atmospheric preasure and avoid the possibility of it excaping passed the rad cap ? Or do I need to seal the cap myself .
Please Guy , I have never checked with you on the planned location of the pump/alt pulley , I guess it will be fitted to the vacant section on the middle of the crank pulley ? Also where will the Volumex tensioner be fixed ? And , do I need further guidence to prevent slippage/wandering of the upper section of the cam belt . Or should these questions be listed elsewhere ?
Please all , do give me any warnings of any errors I might be making or sound advice of improvements that could be made .
Attachments
initial plumbing . 1 .
initial plumbing . 1 .
set up 006.jpg (110.23 KiB) Viewed 9819 times
initial plumbing . 2 .
initial plumbing . 2 .
set up 003.jpg (108.51 KiB) Viewed 9819 times
initial plumbing . 3 .
initial plumbing . 3 .
set up 008.jpg (108.23 KiB) Viewed 9819 times
Rich Ellingham

Re: Triumph Spitfire VX .

Post by Rich Ellingham »

They're a sod aren't they. I greased the nipple and cutter segments fairly liberally then rinsed with stop quick afterwards, my arms were well pumped afterwards but you have hugely more connections to make then I had!! I can see why swaged fittings are used by pro teams. On the other hand the 1525 push fit hose is amazingly simple and quick to assemble with fir tree connectors and they do alloy fittings in the them.

car is looking great.

Rich
book 38
TS131Volumex

Post by TS131Volumex »

Hello all ,
Guy recomended I source a 4-1 , 33 " , 1 1/2 " bore header for my GC 1600 volumex fast road engine .
I noticed a company called allisonsautomotive.com in C.A. make a neat ceramic coated header for the 124 from 16 gauge tubing and with a 1/2 " thick CNC cut flange .
Allthough the primaries are only 27" I think there may be scope for either them to make a longer version or for this one to be alltered .
The primaries however are stepped starting at the recomended 1 1/2 " but then opening up to 1 5/8 " after 6 " .
My questions are ;
1) Is this stepped sizing going to be a problem ?
2) If they will not make me a longer version will the ceramic coating make it hard for someone else to alter this header to the required 33 " ?
3) Has anyone else had experience of this company . Having had problems with a Triumph company in the U.S. who I was forced to get the F.B.I. cyber squad onto I would feel better with some form of recomendation .
Many thanks ,
Matt .
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Mark Allinson - who owns that company - is a member here, I am sure he can speak for his products. I shall drop him a pm to bring this thread to his attention,

G
TS131Volumex

Post by TS131Volumex »

Good news Guy ,
i did not realise .
Thank you , fingers crossed .
TS131Volumex

Post by TS131Volumex »

Yes I should have searched the site first !
Its all there .
Life is one long learning curve .
Matt .
mark allison

Post by mark allison »

Matt
I'd be happy to sell you a header that isn't coated, but our version has been tested on the tc and it works very well. The step design makes great midrange torque without sacrificing top end. The optimum tube length reduces reversion, and our step design helps reduce reversion.
There are several issues with trying to build a custom header when the car is halfway around the world. If we lengthen the tubes at the collector, how much ground clearance will there be on the down pipe? How sharp will that bend be?
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

When one buys a header - like Mark's - where there is no surety that it will fit a particular non-standard installation this is what you are getting:

1. A design that works - here the feedback from the supplier is available and Mark is no amateur.
2. A flange with primaries welded up - this is one of the most time consuming ops

Now, the pipework will almost inevitably NOT fit the intended installation - in this case a highly modified Triumph Spitfire, so what do you do?

1. Start from scratch with a UK supplier and face the logistics of transporting a car that can't be driven and pay a 4-figure sum to have it made on the car (which it will have to be and I personally only recommend Simpsons and Tony Law because their work is flawlessly executed)

OR

2. Buy the off-the-shelf item and get to work altering the pipework to suit the installation. Tools required - Sealey hydraulic pipe bender, hacksaw, angle grinder, TIG machine (or a good welder). Parts? Stainless dairy tubing which can easily find on the internet. And no account complain to the original supplier of the header that 'it doesn't fit'.

OR

3. Scratch your head hoping for a dream solution to fall out of the sky.

All clear I trust. I know what I would do.

GC
robert kenney

Post by robert kenney »

I used one of Mark's headers on a family members Spyder and I am happy with it. Trust me a quality custom hand made header will set you back a minumum of $1500 + lest you build it yourself. Mark's header is a bargin no mater how you look at it.
Robert Kenney # 111
TS131Volumex

Post by TS131Volumex »

Thank you for your replies .
I had planned to use Simpsons Guy and am still open minded but seeing Marks quality piece of work , I considered if it could be supplied in a specification you were happy with and if it appeared there was a high chance this version should fit the cars architecture it would make sense to give this option some serious consideration .
My main unknown , and of course here I depend on your expertise , was the question of length and also the effect of the increase in bore after the first 6 " from 1 1/2 " to 1 5/8 " .
As I believe you suggested 33 " at 1 1/2 " bore I wondered if the 33 " would still be the required length or if the increase in bore might effect this measurment .
Of course I also realised that on my particular volumex engine this stepped option may just not be the ideal .
But If it could be likely to work well at a certain length what would that length be please ?
Mark suggested that rather than increasing the pipes at the collector end which might leave the collector too close to the ground to fit a decent 90 bend he could ask the fabricator if they could add length to the upper/earlier sections making the height of the pipe slightly closser to the bonnet . I am lucky that the Spitfire has far more space available on the exhaust side than most other vehicles .
If there was a chance of a reasonable outcome I would first need to send Mark some detailed dimensions of space available as this information alone might rule out any point to going any further along this road .
Thank you again , Matt .
mark allison

Post by mark allison »

Matt
we can build the header with all one tube size, but the step design has been proven to really work well. My fabricator tells me we can add some length at the top end which would bring the tubes closer to the height of the engine. I have a big concern about the location of your frame rails though and whether there is room for the collector. Also, the steering shaft location may be a concern.
TS131Volumex

Post by TS131Volumex »

Thank you for speaking with your fabricator Mark .
I agree with both you and Guy , allthough there is genorous space , it may not be where I would need it .
Rather than waste yours and Guys time , when I manage to get back into my garage I shall take some detailed measurements and send them on a sketch with further photos to yourself to verify if there is any hope of progressing . Otherwise I shall have to return down the Simpsons route .
I confess the black art of header/exhaust design is out of my sphere , so although it sounds very intriguing and obviously works , anoyingly the science behind the stepped system , unless I was to view a detailed demonstration video , is going to remain a mystery to me .
Even if things prove unworkable in this instance I guess at least your fine looking product has probably gained a bit of added exposure .
Thank you Mark . Matt .
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

I shall approve dimensions with pleasure - please don't go firm until I have done that. FWIW there is no effective relationship betw bore and pipe chord length in the context of this application.

G