Lancia Integrale restoration

Post pics of your car in here
andy wright

Re: Lancia Integrale restoration

Post by andy wright »

Thanks for your reply. Yes. Everyone seems to be an expert on the turbo engine but with conflicting and sometimes diametrically opposed advice, leading me to believe that a thorough understanding of why a turbocharged engine behaves the way it does is not simple. Anyway, back to a few spare moments this weekend continuing the re-wiring !!!
Andy
GC_20
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

So again the wheel (that of my many restorations, the folly that is too many projects!)) has turned and the red 8v has been getting some TLC recently. I'll post up the work involved on the O/S inner wing area in a minute but maybe best to show some of the preparation involved before wielding the grinder, saws, chisels, hammers and welder. I really hate the scraping of the underseal and seam sealer but it needs done before real work starts so a plan of action can be formed in the mind, best to see the real job and thinking it through first. Saves some of the struggle later I find.

Just a few of many pictures so not all nasties shown but it's plain to see it needs some fairly major repairs, some I expected but others only showed themselves when all the underseal was off, some previous bodges from before my ownership and evidence of a bump on the N/S that needed planishing out a bit better than done previously. Tools involved to clean the underseal were my favourite shaped lino knife, hot air gun, twist knot in a grinder and an end brush in a die grinder with a scorching by blowlamp and hand wire brush to remove the final few rags, horrible work!
Last edited by 1NRO on June 20th, 2012, 7:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

I'll just post the pictures showing the N/S work, there's a few of them though not every stage is shown and some repairs that were done missed being photographed. I've been working on the O/S this past few weeks but it's not quite finished yet so I'll wait until it is to show what was involved there (much worse than the O/S, deeper surgery).

First picture shows a repair to the area under the battery tray, it'd been bodged in the past with a couple of poor repairs so it was easier to cut out a whole area and make a new piece. It's just shown tacked in prior to being seam welded and ground back, this can be seen in later pictures. The area that'd been damaged in a bump sometime in a previous life is above the repair and has been planished to a better level though it's hard to tell in a photo, a small patch at the bottom of that area can be seen prior to dressing having just been seam welded on the other side.
Next few pictures show repairs to the area at the bottom of the chassis leg where the front of wishbone bolts, very common area to rust on a delta and hardly any wonder being as there's a multitude of layers all running into each other and left open to the elements. Often the hardest part of a repair is cutting out the rot so as to allow new metal to be fitted and still make it possible to get in with the welder and grinder. Shown next is it opened up with all rust cut out.
Next pictures show the first section to be replaced, looks simple but as it's a compound curve it's a pretty difficult panel to make and fit nicely. Beat it into submission though!
Last edited by 1NRO on June 20th, 2012, 7:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

A small section to close off the back of this area. Important to be done with strength as the captive nut that part of the wishbone carrier bolts to takes a lot of it's strength from this area. The repair section shows the punched holes that will be plug welded to the inner carrier and the front cross member, I'd love a big single sided spot welder but without that luxury this makes sure that there's no worries about everything being welded properly. I usually work the surrounding area to ensure any light rust is ground back, like around the upper captive nuts that the engine mount bolts to, not deep enough rust to warrant a full repair as with care it can be taken back to good metal. I figure that if you do a decent job in a small area it's easier to ensure the whole is done correctly rather than leave it until the end to get everything cleaned up.
Last edited by 1NRO on June 20th, 2012, 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

Most stages of fitting the next section shown, first it needed made though and using a wooden former the compound curve that is the main shape was hammer formed and the flanges welded on in strips from the inside and then ground down. The weld penetration is showing on this side, no good grinding welds off if they only sit on the surface.
A bit of time spent making sure it was a decent fit before welding it to the body, time spent here is well worth it as welding will be so much better if the gaps are tight.
Got to bite the bullet at some stage though so a series of tacks to get everything held in alignment, a bit of hammer forming as you go and the tacks need ground off before the seam weld is done (not shown ground back here but time spent doing so makes the seam weld much better)
A full weld done when the welder is set nicely will allow it to be ground back to a near invisible repair, needs to be a good weld though or the repair will break through into holes!!
All ground up and pretty pleased with the finished job in this area, not a 5 minute job I can tell you. There's a repair done thats not shown just behind this section, I'll post a picture of the section cut out in the next post.
Last edited by 1NRO on June 20th, 2012, 7:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Simon

Post by Simon »

Some lovely fabrication work going on there, I know how long this kind of work can really take. Keep up the good work!
GC_15
4v6

Post by 4v6 »

You're doing a really great job on this, I can totally empathise with you regarding the amount of time and difficulty involved in making athe parts to fit well and then to fettle them as you're doing.

Its looking really fine.
Tony Warren. GC #96.
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

Off with his head! well at least straight through the turret into the inner structure. Pretty much every delta will be rusting quietly behind here. It's a strong construction design if it's in good health which isn't what some people would have you believe about delta's but I am of the belief that if it's welded together well it's pretty solid, just a shame Lancia didn't really bother in the factory.
A repair to the inner structure. Not show is the soaking in Granville and weldable primer after this repair and prior to the next repair section that closes it off.
The repair that closes it off I don't have step by step photo's of as I had the bit between the teeth then but here it can be seen fitted and all primed up with weldable primer. The swaged section was reformed as on the oe panel, there's a captive bolt in it and can be seen from the engine bay side so i like to make it as it was. there was a lot of plug welds in it like shown in the repair section thats next to it thats just about to be welded in to reinstate the turret.
Last edited by 1NRO on June 20th, 2012, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

Here's the turret welded back on prior to being ground up.
All ground up and some stitch welds to belt and braces it.
The section shown here is a complex nest of four panels that you need to be careful cutting into if you don't want to create extra work that might well be impossible to do nicely. There's a repair to the edge of the turret panel and some stitch's being as it'll never be seen again.
new section made up to tie into the various swages of the OE panel, took a couple of attempts before i was happy, tricky to get them all to meet up correctly.
Missed a picture of the tacks and seam weld but here's the plugs prior to grinding.
All done and dusted.
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

The area where the brake hose passes through was pretty bad. New section made with swages to replicate OE. Welding it in was apig to do as waxoyl was running out of the panel above so forgive the loss of seam as it had to be ground back and rewelded, I was cusssing you can be sure.
Last edited by 1NRO on June 20th, 2012, 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

There were a few other less involved repairs that I did one day when I didn't have the camera and also a stint of stitching up the various seams for max strength but a fast foward to the stage where it all had a good clean up in readiness for a good coat of granville rust converter (not that there was any left but it's a good product that sticks like the proverbial to a blanket) and a coat of primer to keep flash rust at bay whilst I work on the other side. I'll post up that sequence in a couple of weeks when I get to the same stage, it's been harder going the other side but is nearly there now, woohoo!
Last edited by 1NRO on June 20th, 2012, 7:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
TomLouwrier

Post by TomLouwrier »

LO-VE-LY !!!
GC_29
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

Thanks fella's :-)
tricky

Post by tricky »

A nice bit of pannel work there, and cussing ! Pat on back.
Twice as many valves
1NRO

Post by 1NRO »

So the N/S was much more rotten that the O/S, a case of trying to figure out the sequence to remove metal before replacement. Something had to be first as there wasn't really anything worth attaching to so with a deep breath the grinder was put to work cutting off the corner of the front cross member. Thankfully the plate that has the captive nuts for the suspension was ok on the inside with just the outer edge past repair but that will get cut off next once the cross member is back together.
Just a quick post for tonight, there's a load of photos and it might take a few days to get them all up.
Last edited by 1NRO on June 20th, 2012, 7:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.