Formula 27 scratch built from plans

Post pics of your car in here
Farmer

Formula 27 scratch built from plans

Post by Farmer »

Hello everybody

Just a brief post to introduce my pride and joy. It was built over approximately 15 years, I got the plans for Christmas 1992 when My son was 2 months old and the "joke" at the time was that he would be big enough to drive it by the time it was finished .... It passed its' SVA test in the summer of 2008 . I hope you like it , but if not please don't tell me as a big part of my soul went into its' creation
Attachments
itsaliveandregistered2.jpg
itsaliveandregistered2.jpg (68.6 KiB) Viewed 4383 times
Farmer

Re: Formula 27 scratch built from plans

Post by Farmer »

oh yes and the budget built 1.6 TC
Attachments
engine medium.JPG
engine medium.JPG (171.86 KiB) Viewed 4369 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Congratulations!

A very nice 'clean' installation,

G
Farmer

Post by Farmer »

Thanks Guy
The engine is standard and was virtually free once I'd sold off the remarkably good Ziebarted 131 shell and rear axle to somebody else it was stripped and cleaned , then a precision engineer friend measured up the crank and found no significant wear and all the bottom end bearings were also still good and re-used (penny pinching with hindsight but I had a young family at the time) the bores were roughly d-glazzed with emery paper (again penny pinching) and new rings were fitted . The head was taken to Halls garage in Morton for hardened valve seats valve grind and a light skim. The inlet manifold was sourced second hand from the FREEADS as were the Sunbeam Ti Webber 40's (new seal kits) and the Pipercross filter came second hand from an internet auction site at a later date. The Exhaust manifold was originally from a Strada Abarth but by the time I'd cut it about and re welded it , I may as well have had one made , however it is all stainless and seems to work. Ignition was second hand Lumenition competition spec. However I didn't realise the leads were old copper ones which caused my control box to cook itself : the only resolution was a brand new Lumenition kit and new carbon leads , which together cost as much as the rest of the engine in total . The engine was set up on a rolling road at Wadington and is producing roughly 110 -115 hp at the flywheel , not too shabby for a 30 year old engine .
Attachments
engine medium2.JPG
engine medium2.JPG (158.87 KiB) Viewed 4339 times