Fiat coupe 2.0 16v non turbo

Post pics of your car in here
Honza
Location: Lomnice nad Popelkou (60 north from Prague), Czech Republic

Fiat coupe 2.0 16v non turbo

Post by Honza »

hello from czech republic!
I want to show you my car and my rebuilted engine.Some people could remeber me from fccuk forum , where I asked at injector size.
My coupe is runnig very good (bit like as standart 20VT! - when I ride it first I was schocked )

some specification of engine:
head work
compression ratio 11,3:1 (lowered engine block , modified pistons)
removed balancing shafts
custom cams (valve timing 294°/285° ; lift 10,3mm ; full lift 106°/107°, with checking/running clearance 0,3mm)
balanced rods, pistons a crank
lightened flywheel, reinforced pressure plate
custom throtle body (modified standart)
adjustable fuel pressure reg. set at 3,4bar
custom chip (rev limiter set at 7500rpm)
custom exhaust (standart manifold ->60mm pipe -> modified standart rear silencer)

some pict:
Last edited by Honza on May 3rd, 2010, 6:38 pm, edited 7 times in total.
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Honza - good afternoon.

You have taken a lot of care to present your engine preparation photos with interesting information about the project and it looks very professional.
I am particularly pleased that you joined and posted too, especially since you live in the Czech Republic. It is great to see this kind of thing going on in countries beyond the UK. As for your English - it's excellent.

GC
Last edited by Guy Croft on April 25th, 2007, 6:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Honza

Post by Honza »

Good evening

I decide to write some news about my car.
After second race at 1/4 mile , I found "small"problem in exhaut system.The problem was broken pipe in rear standart silencer.

With this problem The car was lazy and the best time at this race was 15,13s.

Here is some foto of this damage:

So I bought small univerzal "japan style"silencer and I fit on the car.With new "silencer " the car is quite loud outsice. Inside the car I can normal speak with passengers.

Last weak I was at next race and the bets time at train was 14,8s - dry track 18°C, I could be faster .Unfortunatelly at race was raining , so the best time was 15,05s.I had big problems with traction at start.I was wery happy when I beat one of very strong Honda Civit Type R.Before me was only two standart S2000 , two Civic type R with more than 250bhp and one caterham.

For next season I want to fit new suspension,brakes and wheels (ultralegera) .
Last edited by Honza on January 11th, 2008, 11:08 am, edited 4 times in total.
Honza

Post by Honza »

hello from Czech Republic after long time!

small update of information: last week (18.4.2007) a fit new suspension - FK automotive at front and Eibach springs with KONI shocks at rear -total lowering is now
~ 6 cm

Today I move up rev limiter and check AF ratio. The rev limiter is now set at 7800rpm and AF ratio is 12.9:1 at full throtle.

Next month I want to make new exhaust - new headers, and 2.5" pipe under car with small silencer.

I think that headers 4-1 with pipes 38 mm - inside diameter and lenght 950mm will be better than standart headers (38 outside diameter , 4-2-1 design)

and here is some photos:

Last edited by Honza on August 20th, 2007, 4:18 pm, edited 4 times in total.
sumplug

Post by sumplug »

Using the standard airbox will rob that engine. This needs sorting.
Is the crank ground and polished?
Looks a very nice project.

Andy.
Honza

Post by Honza »

I use drilled airbox (there are 6 holes on the side of airbox with diameter 35mm) , I use green pannel too.

Yes the crank is grounded and polished - now, on the photo is old crank.
Last edited by Honza on April 27th, 2007, 1:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
NickRP

Post by NickRP »

Watch out for possible flywheel explosion, if you tend to use this high revs with stock cast FW!

Best regards,
Nikola
sumplug

Post by sumplug »

16v cranks cannot be ground and polished due to them being nitrated. I assume this is correct ?

Andy.
Honza

Post by Honza »

sumplug wrote:16v cranks cannot be ground and polished due to them being nitrated. I assume this is correct ?

Andy.
I heard this warning - that 16v cranks couldn´t be grounded, because the nitrided level is too low, but after some consultation with some race engine builders I have tried it , and I have no problem yet

Nikola - I know about this danger , but I hope that it wil be OK, because these high RPM I use rarely.
Honza

Re: Fiat coupe 2.0 16v non turbo

Post by Honza »

So after some time , I think that it the time to inform you about new mods on my coupe.

First mod is fuel pump wiring mod -many owners of Fiat coupe do this.This mod provide higher voltage for fuel pump , so the fuel suply can increase about 10%.

Second mod is Lancia kappa 16v turbo inlet manifold.I think that this mod bring some BHP benefits - kappa manifold is like as some lexmaul ( tuner for opel) or spoon (honda)manifolds and these manufacturers claims that their "performance" manifold brings 6-9kW on unmodified engine...The direction of kappa manifold runners follows the direction of inlet port in the cylinder head, so there must be some improvement in filling of cylinder in comparsion with standart coupe inlent manifold.

So I bought one kappa manifol from a chap wich has kappa with damaged engine and I´ve started to work on it.
First mod was mating the runners to inlet port.Next I must made adaptor for coupe fuel rail and did some paintshop to original black colour.The last and the most difficult operation was fitting it on engine.There wasn´t enough space around the engine, so I had to found new place for some relay,MAP senzor, bowl with power steering oil...I had to cut four small risers on engine head wich holds the original inlet manifold , because they were in the way of injectors and the manifold couldn´t be correctly fited - Injectors have bit different position in new manifold.

the last mod what I want to do on inlet side is 60-62mm enlarged throtle body.
Attachments
everything is on its place
everything is on its place
DSCF0683.JPG (106.33 KiB) Viewed 28411 times
searching new place for many things...
searching new place for many things...
DSCF0678.JPG (118.97 KiB) Viewed 28405 times
kappa manifold firstly fitted
kappa manifold firstly fitted
DSCF0676.JPG (110.52 KiB) Viewed 28397 times
comparing shape of st. coupe vs. kappa manifold
comparing shape of st. coupe vs. kappa manifold
DSCF0658.JPG (67.44 KiB) Viewed 28400 times
comparing size of unmodified st. vs. modified kappa manifold before finishing with 80grind
comparing size of unmodified st. vs. modified kappa manifold before finishing with 80grind
DSCF0657.JPG (91.85 KiB) Viewed 28385 times
stefan89

Post by stefan89 »

Did you have to modify the top left engine mount to get that Lancia throttle body to fit, also did you enlarge the inlet ports on the head to match the new ones,

currently at the start of a 16v non turbo project using this as refference, want to make mine a 4wd drive using a Lancia dedra as a donner when i can get one but not having much look at the moment

best regards, hope all is well with the car
Stefan Butler
stefan89

Post by stefan89 »

sorry i meant inlet manifold not throttle body
Stefan Butler
Honza

Post by Honza »

the ports in head was enlarged, so I only math the new inlet manifold with them...

I didn´t have to modify that mount... only problem was short throttle cable and less space behind the engine...

Currently I´m fitting new brakes (Pagid pads, AP rotors , 23.81mm main brake cylinder) and I´m waiting for proper remmaping (after change of brand new exhaust and fitting enlarged trhottle body) of the ECU on Rolling road...
stefan89

Post by stefan89 »

Let us know how you get on the rolling road! what make of pistons and con rods are you using there?
Stefan Butler
Honza

Post by Honza »

stefan89 wrote:Let us know how you get on the rolling road! what make of pistons and con rods are you using there?

I´m still using standart pistons and conrods, But I want to use this engine in my tipo and for coupe I want to build brand new engine with custom made pistons , rods and cams with better profile ( there is one of most respectable engine builders and rod/piston/camshafts manufacturer from czech republic in my towm )