FSO Polonez 2000 from Poland

Post pics of your car in here
Slawo2000

FSO Polonez 2000 from Poland

Post by Slawo2000 »

Hello,

I'm Slawomir from Poland. I work in Federal Mogul Bimet, company which is a quite big producer of engine bearings and bushings. I'm a product engineer responsible for launches of new products.
My car is a FSO Polonez prepared for rallies and (occasionally) hillclimbing. The car is I think quite unknown for most of the readers, so I would like to write a few words about the history of the car. The production started in Poland in 1978. The car was based on old Fiat 125p, the body was completely new and there were some changes in engine (1500 OHV). At the end of 70's and at the begining of 80's some cars equipped with Fiat 132 2.0 engine (and gearbox) were built. These cars were homologated in rallies in group B (Kugelfischer injection or Weber IDF48 carburettors, Colotti gearbox, Porsche brakes, etc.). There were also some cars with turbocharged 2000 TC engines built, but never homologated.
In my car I use an engine in specification similar to Ritmo 130TC unit i.e. CR9.6, Weber IDF40's, 4-2-1 exhaust, lightened flywheel. Big torque at low rpm, but power goes down very fast above 5500 - 5800 rpm (too low for competition). I expect, that proper sport camshafts should increase the power and move it in range of 6500 - 6700 rpm. The car has Bilstein sport shock absorbers, new designed front springs and in rear suspension
(rigid axle with leaf springs) additional Panhard rod and anti-roll bar for tarmac rallies. Handling is really excellent, despite rather archaic suspension (especially rear). The car can be a hard opponet to many more modern cars, especially if driven by experienced driver. In 2005 another Polonez 2000 owned by my friend Piotr Zaleski won historic class in Polish Hillclimbing Championship and beat such cars like Porsche 911, Mercedes 450 SLC and Alfa Romeo GTV. Also in season 2006 it is still unbeaten...
Attachments
83.jpg
83.jpg (220.87 KiB) Viewed 5656 times
The white one belongs to my friend Piotr Zaleski. The car has Guy Crofts StIIIA camshafts, Weber 44 IDF's, stainless steel 4-2-1 exhaust, Colotti gearbox, etc.
The white one belongs to my friend Piotr Zaleski. The car has Guy Crofts StIIIA camshafts, Weber 44 IDF's, stainless steel 4-2-1 exhaust, Colotti gearbox, etc.
img0047.jpg (144.08 KiB) Viewed 5657 times
GSMP2006.jpg
GSMP2006.jpg (50.48 KiB) Viewed 5657 times
engine_bay.JPG
engine_bay.JPG (57.71 KiB) Viewed 5651 times
inside.jpg
inside.jpg (56.23 KiB) Viewed 5649 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Slawomir welcome to new GCRE!

A very well written and interesting post, I especailly like that you took the trouble to write captions and also mention Piotr and his car as well. I ma very impressed by the preparation level and the results too, well done from me!
If possible could you please give Chris Zaleski a message - I tried to e mail him but it was returned refused- maybe he has accidentally blocked my mail - the message is "thanks very much indeed for mailing to me the interesting magazines with features about your car type and the Stratopolonais".

Thank you by the way for getting permission from the photographer for some of those nice pictures. In English law it is a breach of copyright to publish unless permission has been obtained. Thank you.

I look forward to seeing a lot of you - and Piotr/Chris too, we have a lot of readers from Poland. I have also been talking to Polish magazine editor Wojtek Jurecki - 'Classicauto' - recently about articles regarding TC engines and tuning.

GC