My Toyota Twin-Cam

Post pics of your car in here
cantfindausername

My Toyota Twin-Cam

Post by cantfindausername »

I see a trend forming here for italian cars. Sorry I don't fit into that category. Although this may be of interest to some of you.

This is the car I'm rebuilding the engine for...

The car will be used mainly for drag, track and long road races, such as the Cannonball Run Europe. I really want to do another one of them once its done!

Hundreds of pictures of the project can be found on my site...

Comments always welcome :D

Ant
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Hi Ant,

It is simply that I am known best for my work with Fiat/Lancia and a lot of old friends have gravitated here in the early days.

I categorically do not want just F/L or Italian, the more variety and interest beyond just those types, the better.

FWIW - If I relied on F/L work alone I'd be really struggling for work and there would be no GCRE.com at all.

GC
cantfindausername

Thats what I thought. I'm on all sorts of forums due to a variety of parts going into this car. Strangest of all is cinquecento forum. I'm only using a radiator from one, but still proved a damn good find. Even caught up with an old aquaintence from the cannonball :lol:
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Hi,

truly sorry Ant, don't even know the car, I never see cars, only engines? Rotary Mazda? Forgive my ignorance.

GC
cantfindausername

No worries. I've been a car buff since I was small so get a bit carried away with dropping the names into conversation. :lol:
Last edited by cantfindausername on July 20th, 2006, 1:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sumplug

Post by sumplug »

Toyota MR2 2.0 GT with 173 BHP as standard if i remember Guy. Very nice engine for tuning. Is it getting the turbo treatment or is it already a factory engined one??
cantfindausername

Close sumplug! This is a Japanese Import. GT-S model. Its a Revision 2 with a 225bhp turbo'd engine. Or rather it was..

From the factory is has the standard engine fitted, but the build will be using a monster unit. A Garrett GT35R.

My girlfriend has the non turbo version and she is dying to tune it, but we're unsure of what to do. If you have some experience/ideas of what to do I'd love to hear them!!
sumplug

Post by sumplug »

Trying to think of the toyota gurus who get very good power out of these in the UK. My knowledge is seriously limited on Japanese engines. No, cannot remember the name Seems the best place seems to be Japan and USA for tuning parts and ideas. In the past, ive emailed American companies, and all have been great [non Japanese]. So give them a go. HSK supply a lot of parts dont they??
Thats one serious car you have. Any photos of engine etc??? :)

Slang edit: The word is Japanese

edited by GC
cantfindausername

parts are plentiful for the turbo models, bit for an N/A verison, its a nightmare. People tend not to do anything much as its pretty cheap to just transplant the turbo unit into it.

I think we're going to stick a 3.0 V6 into my girlfriends from a Camry :twisted:

Got loads of pictures... here's one of it loosely put together to give an idea of what it will look like when its done.

Still waiting on the exhaust manifold, then I can put this on...

There are hundreds of pics on my site!
sumplug

Post by sumplug »

Thats a big turbo to spool up. Not worried about turbo lag?? Would of thought a G28 was more the size you wanted?? :)
Acki

Post by Acki »

GT28RS works fine at 1583cc tipo 8v engine.
Some Opel guys also drive GT30 or GT35 without problems on their 2l16v c20let engines.
Testament

Post by Testament »

There is what they call the BEAMS version of the 3S-GE engine used in the toyotaaltezza/lexus RS200. This has a redesigned cylinder head by yamaha, different pistons/rods with higher compression, variable valve timing and supposedly 200hp. This may have been available in the last of the MR2's ?? I guess in the UK getting your hands on something like that is the problem though.

It is interesting the tuning philosophy differences, you guys in the UK seem very concerned about lag and tractability, as downunder and in japan there is more concentraction on outright power. This is of course a sweeping generalsation, neither is right or wrong but it probably does reflect different focuses.
cantfindausername

The BEAMS is definately 200bhp. Its a popular choice, but sooo expensive. THOR (a tuning company) is selling one for ‚£4700 :shock:

The original head on the 3S series engine was designed by yamaha. They're great heads and I've seem many people comment on the factory flow figures. This is the flow graph for my head.

This is the best quote I've ever found about lag
jekylandhyde wrote:People who complain about lag are either in the wrong gear, or the wrong car
8)
sumplug

Post by sumplug »

What is the torque like on the BEAMS engine? Flow looks very good, so the torque will depend on cam and compression among other things dictating where the torque begins and tails off.
Why was this engine i wonder not more popular?? :)
cantfindausername

I think they developed it too late for the market. It was already flooded with turbo models, and people tend to lean in that direction when it comes to these cars.

You have the die hard few that will tune their N/A models, or fit the BEAMS, or even the 3.0 V6 from a Camry, but most will opt for the cheap as chips, and bigger bang per buck turbo transplant.

The Beams transplant has to be the most expensive option for these cars, and that is why I don't think there are that many around.

As for the torque figures, I don't have numbers, but I think they're impressive for what the engine is. However, when money is tight... you can get more for your money elsewhere.