Peugeot 205 GTI 1.6 & 106 GTI

Post pics of your car in here
Peter

Peugeot 205 GTI 1.6 & 106 GTI

Post by Peter »

This is my old Peugeot 205 GTI 1.6, slightly tuned. All work done by myself.

- Peugeot 205 GTI 1.6 (XU5JA - 115Bhp)

Before I started, I got it on the rollers. they showed a rather poor result, but it was what I expected because it had snapped the cambelt before I bought it. It only showed 103hp and 135Nm. After advancing the ignition a bit, it climbed to 112Hp and 134Nm. After I had it on the rollers I decided to give it a bit of a tune-up. The original XU5JA head was replaced by a XU10J2 - This has a bit better flow than the stock XU5JA head, and it has bigger inlet valves. I did some minor porting my self, mainly blending the seats into the ports and smoothing out the hort side raduis a bit. I also removed castflaws in the ports. The XU10 ports are round, and the inlet manifold on the XU5JA is square, so I machined the inlet prots and the manifold to get as good fit as possible. i know my porting skills are not as good as they could be, but I'm rather happy with the result. (unfortunately I do not have any highres pictures of the area around the valves, only the beginning of the port :() The head was skimmed 1mm, in order to get the right compression. The compression was 11:1. The cam was not so good.
It is stated that it should be a "270 deg duration", but seemed almost identical to the original XU9JA cam. (only a few degrees more duration, but slightly higher lift)

The XU10J2 head is a good and really cheap upgrade, but it doesn't flow as good as a well prepped XU5JA head.

I used the XU5Ja gasket (83mm bore) - the XU10 gasket wouldn't seal properly on the two outer bores.

Here the left port is almost done. It was opened a bit to portmatch it to the square ports in the manifold

Here is the rr graph done a few miles after the tuning:

I had some issues with the ignition keeping up above 6.500 rpm.. :(

And here is the car:

This was my daily driver for almost two years, it was a hoot to drive, it had the "GTI" feel that the 1.9 lacks.
Last edited by Peter on July 19th, 2006, 1:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Peter

Post by Peter »

After the GTI I had a few other Peugeots, latest my 106 GTI.
As with all my Peugeot's I wanted more umph in it than std. but this time I also wanted more torque than what I would get with porting and new cams.
The only right way to get more torque - without adding a charger or a turbo - is to increase the capacity. So I did.. I used the following parts.

Steel crank, 90mm throw
Forged 81mm pistons, with valve cutouts.
Customized EW10 rods. (new, smaller top bearing, TU bearingshells, machined a bit narrower in the bottom)
TU5J4 bottomend machined to 81mm bore.
Original under piston oil coolers retained.
12 row oilcooler, with Mocal 90deg thermostat
Cylinderhead, fully ported
PeugeotSport "Grp A" cams, 283 deg, 10.4mm lift
Ported throttlebody
Enclosed Air intake
Stainless 4-2-1 exhaust manifold
Heat wrapped manifold
Homemade harder engine mounts
Homemade 2.5" exhaust, with bigger mufflers, to keep the noice levels down
400 cells sports catalytic converter
Remapped std. ecu.

rr'ed at the same place as I always use, after the remap it showed 177Bhp and 190Nm - it was remapped to use unleaded 95 octane. (it is almost impossible to get higher octane here in Denmark, and if you find it - it's hugely overpriced)

Now lets see some pictures of it.

I never said i was a good welder..

One of the pistons used in the engine

A modified conrod

A shot of the ported ports

A shot of the engine.