Lada Samara 1500 8V 2xSolex C40

Post pics of your car in here
kowal

Re: Lada Samara 1500 8V 2xSolex C40

Post by kowal »

The results presented by 3zer are the first test. To compare, the factory values: horsepower 72 PS, torque 102 Nm. Though the torque curve looks very nice, almost like in a diesel, the increase is lower than expected. Some more tuning is to be done so hopefulluy we can improve it a bit. Surely we must work on inginition. Perhaps a bigger air cone, installed further from heat sources will also help a bit. So we will spend quite a while on a dyno, testing.

Anyway, even with the present torque the car on 2nd and 3rd gear goes like very well:) 95 PS plus 850 kg gives good results. And taking into account the characteristics of the the amateur rallies which it is to take part in, the first three gears are the most important ones since the stages aren't v.fast but with lots of turns and corners, heavy breaking to low speed and then accelerating again.

Regards,
Piotr
GC_128
kowal

Post by kowal »

It's been a while since my last post. And the truth I haven't done much progress when it comes to the 'important' stuff. But all those little things ceirtanly are time-consuming.

Since I don't always have time and means to do the most important things first, I do what I can when I can. So on my sick-leave when I spent a few days 'imprisoned' at home I did the central panel:
And it's real carbon fibre:) A bit of high-end material in my Lada:). Just have to make the labels for all the switches.

The new strut - surely better than the previous one:

And I changed the oil. After some long market research I choose Comma Motorsport 5W50. It has reasonable price and is not as tough to find in Poland as is for example Selenia Racing that Guy recommends.

Then it came time for the interior - I got rid of the anti-noise bituminous coat. One whole day spent heating it up a tearing it off. And the end of that was a bit 'high' - the fumes ceirtanly do not smell nice. Anyway - the whole thing weighted 4,5 kg.

Rear axle anti-roll bar is already in place. Did not have time to test it really, just made a couple kilometers but the car does not go worse, this for sure.

The next step - the part I really hate, especially when dealing with a Samara - geting the floor ready to mount the sports seats.

And here a pic of how the floor looks like when you take out he normal seat out. V. far from being one horizontal surface.

It would be all easier if I had and TIG and - what's even more important - wasn't so lousy at welding:) But even so - all this cutting, cutting, cutting... Hate it.

Driver's seat in place:

The whole mess before painting:

And after:

I didn't paint the whole interior - I'll do this after I have a roll cage mounted. Perhaps before the season 2010 when I plan to use the Lada in some more serious competition than amateur rallies - which means hillclimb races.

The next step will be mounting the battery behind co-pilot's seat and using the space left by the batt under the bonnet to make some better cold air intake for the cone air filter. Afterwards some tuning on a dyno to see if the car can do any better, especially when it comes to torque.
After this the car should be ready for first trainings.
GC_128
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

You are doing some very nice work there!

G
kowal

Post by kowal »

Long time no see:) Though I have some lack-of-time-problems, the project is moving fwd, step by step. I'll put some pics tomorrow but as of today the battery is inside the car, behind co-pilots seat. It seems the best place when you take into account weight distribution but I predict some problems during technical check before rallies (the officials are getting more strict and sometimes want to have the battery placed in a place separated from the rest of the interior and ventilated).

The kill-switch works. Today I have printed labels for all the switches that appeared on the central console. What's left to be done is new air intake and heat-isolated compartment for the cone filter.

I had some opportunities to drive the car. Compared to what it was before all the work done it runs like h...ll. And it handles very well. 2 front struts (up and down), polibushes, the rear anti-roll bar - it all gave the result of a very neutral car (as strange as it can seem:). It takes quite an effort to go sliding:) Of course if one likes some agressive oversteering driving some left foot braking+v.fast and violent turn makes the rear want to overtake the front. But my style of driving (as of now at least) is more racetrack-like.

Anyway, the project is still alive. More info and some pics are to come.
GC_128
kowal

Post by kowal »

So as promissed - some pictures:

I hope this week I'll do some more cause the car is almost ready. The co-pilot's seat is already there, though you won't find it on the picutres above.

The next big mod will be changing drums to discs+hydraulic hand brake+wilwood proportioning valve and bigger front discs (259 vented instead of 239 not vented). Later on the plans include 'only' LSD + short main ratio. Then I don't plan anything else but reacting to some needs that surely will appear during competition usage. For instance, I am a bit worried about the half-shafts especially on silcks (not to mention the lsd when I finally buy it). We'll see.
GC_128
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

MODEL POST!

Plenty of interesting photos with good captions and super project to turn a rather dull car into a 'rally weapon'!

I look forward to more photos, well done indeed!

GC¬
3zeR

Post by 3zeR »

here is the link to my personal webpage, if I'll find some time I'll make a new topic here with whole story, but for now maybe someone would like to take a look on the photos in the gallery. The webpage is in polish but it is quite intuitive. English version will be ready soon, I hope.
http://www.ladasport.pl
witekmotorsport.com
kowal

Post by kowal »

So... Long time no see:) I'm back in business, getting back to project that had been kind of abandoned during last years. But the car is still here and I am determined to have the car starting in some competition. Cause during last years it has been mainly paying the parking lot and insurance:)

So as a warm up activity - I finally replaced standard front brakes with parts from Samara's younger sister, Lada 2110 (the ugliest Lada ever in my humble opinion). So the swap goes from 238 mm non-vented to 260 mm vented discs. It was pretty plug&play thing, only the shields that are supposed to protect the discs from water had to be modified in order to cooperate with bigger diameter discs.

The 'before' photo:

Discs' comparison:

New stuff in place:

It will probably be of no use for most of the Readers but if some Samara owner happened to read this: no catalogue of high performance brake pads includes Samara. But brake pads from Fiat Uno Turbo fit. To the Lada 2110 brake caliper with no 'customizing', in case of standard brakes you just need to cut a bit of the brake pad (closer to the center of the disc). This way I have Ferodo DS Performance pads. And the discs... well, they are some Russian make. Hope combined with Ferodo they will turn out to be just enough for the lada, even when compiting on slick tyres.

Another problem Samara has is engine's suspension. With only three points that join the body with the engine+gearbox you can imagine the engine during fast driving acts like your stomachs during rollercoster drives:) The Russians have an answer for everything:

These ones are supposed to be more rigid, less flexible. They are already on the car but no test drive yet done.

Another thing I mounted was a short gearchange. Which made the shifts so short that they are almost gone:)

More still to come, hopefully. But it's good to be back. On the Forum and down there in the garage, on the floor getting all dirty with grease, oil:)
GC_128
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

welcome back Piotr..

G
Guy Croft, owner