131 with 3.2L Fiat V6

Post pics of your car in here
nick

131 with 3.2L Fiat V6

Post by nick »

Hi everyone. Great site!

I modified this a little while ago. The engine is from a 130 berlina.
Its great fun to drive and the v6 is very lively in the lower weight car even in standard spec. I would like to tune it one day though... :D
Attachments
131 side.JPG
131 side.JPG (19.2 KiB) Viewed 7413 times
131 rear.JPG
131 rear.JPG (79.39 KiB) Viewed 7415 times
131 engine.JPG
131 engine.JPG (33.26 KiB) Viewed 7416 times
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Hello Nick

meant to write sooner, sorry! Welcome to you and 131V6.

I had to look twice because at first I thought 'that's a twin cam', then of course the clue was the filler cap on the wrong side!

What is the gearbox and back axle etc? Is there a big weight issue, understeer?

That is a true 'wolf in sheep's clothing'!

GC
nick

Post by nick »

Thanks Guy,

I guess technically it is still a Fiat twin cam! It runs a standard 131 5 spd box, with custom bell housing (modified 130 auto one), custom flywheel with croma turbo clutch and pressure plate, and a taller ratio rear axle from an automatic 131.
The standard brakes and suspension were woefully inadequate for the extra weight in the front. It now runs 284mm vented discs up front with Thema calipers and Thema solid discs and calipers in the back. I had custom springs made for all corners and a custom front swaybar.
As a road car i find the handling very good, although track days bring out the understeer after a few laps, and it gets to be hard work. I think better tyres would make a difference, and maybe a rear anti roll bar.
Have you ever done any work on one of these motors? I'm always inspired by the Abarth 031 project that used this body engine combo (with rear transaxle for better weight distribution i think?) that made 285 hp...
Guy Croft
Site Admin

Post by Guy Croft »

Hi Nick

Course it's a twin cam! Yes, I did a V6 Fiat 130 Coupe motor years ago for a guy in Essex called Nick Guilfoyle, full rebuild with triple downdraft 40idf, gasflowed only, made 220bhp. Good fun but I'm not sure I'd want to fabricate the inlet manifold again..!

GC
nick

Post by nick »

Nice! That's just what i wanted to hear. I guess you made a manifold from scratch then? I don't suppose you have any pictures? The factory one has some complicated looking coolant galleries!
For that sort of performance increase I am definitely going to have to have a go at making one.
Thanks heaps for your advice Guy :)